2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

7 hours ago, jazzyslp said:

Hii! Congratulations, this is such a huge achievement and you should be very proud of yourself :) I am applying next year so I was just wondering if you would feel comfortable sharing your gpa and other extracurricular that you think helped getting your acceptance?

Thanks! my sGPA was 3.86, I worked in developmental disability care and as a clinical assistant for a family physician. No SLP volunteering hours (that was waived for this application cycle). But I also had was a research assistant for a psycholinguistics study.

7 hours ago, SocialCommSLP said:

me too! mac was my first choice but i’m slightly conflicted with western now haha. i think my main deciding factors will be courses, the overall experience and location. i’m at mac for undergrad so ik a bit more about the program but not too much with western so im looking to connect and chat with people but i’ll prob accept mac! msg me so we can connect since we might be classmates🤭 congrats friend!

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting all of my classmates. A lot of us probably have to make decisions like this around now, so it'll be best if a new thread was created for this... dedicated to helping candidates choose between offers

4 minutes ago, SLPboi2000 said:

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting all of my classmates. A lot of us probably have to make decisions like this around now, so it'll be best if a new thread was created for this... dedicated to helping candidates choose between offers

I got into both universities as well but conflicted between western and UOFT

3 hours ago, Sliptop said:

Which school are you leaning towards?

Western, but honestly I didnt expect to get into both Western and Mac. So I didn't do a propoer pros & cons analysis of both schools yet. If anyone has any pros or cons for either school/program/city, I'm all ears!

4 hours ago, Sliptop said:

Downtown Toronto is an ideal location I’m picking UOFT as well message me we could be classmates. Hamilton is a really shit area tbh so McMaster was always my last choice

But how does Hamilton compare to London as a city though... that's my question

4 hours ago, slpgal890 said:

Congrats you guys, major achievement :) 

For the people who got accepted into Western and UofT and are comfortable sharing their stats/experience, please PM or let me know if it's okay to PM you!! 

got in at western! you can pm me

20 minutes ago, SLPboi2000 said:

But how does Hamilton compare to London as a city though... that's my question

Having lived both places london as a city is so so so much better than Hamilton. The atmosphere and safety I felt in london as a girl was far greater than hamiltom I was ever scared to go out at night and downtown hamiltom is very scary for girls

6 hours ago, AlyssaSSLP said:

Congratulations everyone!!! I am debating between U of A (as I'm from Calgary, AB), and U of T. I like the fact that U of T sandwiches their academic units with relevant clinical placements... but I'm not sure if getting around to placements in the middle of the semester might be difficult depending on where I live in Toronto? Does anyone have any advice as to what I should go for haha I feel so indecisive!!!

I am in the exact same boat! Can't decide bw U of T, U of A, and western. Does anyone know - is there a real difference in rankings/quality of program bw schools, or does it just come down to personal preference?

18 minutes ago, koi said:

Anyone have a clue of when UBC will send out offers?

No idea, im super anxiously waiting lol. Last year they started sending acceptance for AUD on the 3rd and SLP on the 6th. Hopefully we hear soon!

46 minutes ago, bakedbean said:

No idea, im super anxiously waiting lol. Last year they started sending acceptance for AUD on the 3rd and SLP on the 6th. Hopefully we hear soon!

Hi! I noticed in your signature it says you were waitlisted last year - if you don't mind me asking, did you also find out on the 6th about waitlist? or did they tell you later?

Edited by ubcspscstudent

30 minutes ago, ubcspscstudent said:

Hi! I noticed in your signature it says you were waitlisted last year - if you don't mind me asking, did you also find out on the 6th about waitlist? or did they tell you later?

I got my email on the 6th of April last year :) UBC wouldn't say anything about it though. They wouldnt tell how many people were on the waitlist or give a quadrant or anything.

10 minutes ago, bakedbean said:

I got my email on the 6th of April last year :) UBC wouldn't say anything about it though. They wouldnt tell how many people were on the waitlist or give a quadrant or anything.

Oh interesting! There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of ubc applicants on this forum so I feel like I haven't seen much talk about waitlist stats either - were you a within-province applicant or not from BC?

33 minutes ago, ubcspscstudent said:

Oh interesting! There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of ubc applicants on this forum so I feel like I haven't seen much talk about waitlist stats either - were you a within-province applicant or not from BC?

Im from BC, my GPA isnt very strong but I have good references and volunteer with disabled children and work as a counsellor with youth right now. I am very curious about how many people get waitlisted! 

16 hours ago, slpgal890 said:

Congrats you guys, major achievement :) 

For the people who got accepted into Western and UofT and are comfortable sharing their stats/experience, please PM or let me know if it's okay to PM you!! 

You are welcome to PM :) 

10 hours ago, IslandSpeechGrad said:

Hi again! Just a reminder that if you are accepting your offer for Dal SLP, feel free to join the Facebook group ‘Dalhousie MSc SLP Class of 2027’

Hi, I also applied to Dalhousie, but I haven’t heard anything yet. Have you already been accepted?

30 minutes ago, H-SLP said:

Hi, I also applied to Dalhousie, but I haven’t heard anything yet. Have you already been accepted?

A handful of people heard back mid-March but a bunch of people haven’t heard anything! No rejections or waitlists have been sent out as far as I know so I guess they’re slowly sending decisions

33 minutes ago, H-SLP said:

Hi! Yeah I have. I got my acceptance on March 13th. Have you checked your email and the application portal? I also know persons have til April 12th to decide so they might send out more acceptances then