2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

5 minutes ago, buggybug said:

I was accepted to UofT and Western. Western phoned me this morning, was a little awkward though haha. I didn't receive a phone call from UofT but I completed my undergrad there so I received an email on my utoronto account. Exciting that they phoned you as well! Congratulations!

Yes, I'm currently an undergrad at UofT as well. They only sent the offer to my Utoronto email and on ACORN, not the email associated with ORPAS, so I thought that was strange. 

Congratulations everyone!!! I am debating between U of A (as I'm from Calgary, AB), and U of T. I like the fact that U of T sandwiches their academic units with relevant clinical placements... but I'm not sure if getting around to placements in the middle of the semester might be difficult depending on where I live in Toronto? Does anyone have any advice as to what I should go for haha I feel so indecisive!!!

10 minutes ago, slpgal890 said:

Congratulations!

If you're comfortable, do you mind sharing your stats? GPA / Experience? or am I able to PM you?

Feel free to message me with whatever you want to know and I can answer it!

Congrats you guys, major achievement :) 

For the people who got accepted into Western and UofT and are comfortable sharing their stats/experience, please PM or let me know if it's okay to PM you!! 

7 minutes ago, Wau-Wau said:

Yes, I'm currently an undergrad at UofT as well. They only sent the offer to my Utoronto email and on ACORN, not the email associated with ORPAS, so I thought that was strange. 

Yes, I thought that was strange too, hopefully I receive a call soon as well. 

14 minutes ago, slpgal890 said:

Congrats you guys, major achievement :) 

For the people who got accepted into Western and UofT and are comfortable sharing their stats/experience, please PM or let me know if it's okay to PM you!! 

I was waitlisted in the 4th quadrant last year (bottom of the list) but was accepted to Western this year! I don't mind sharing here because I am sure it would benefit others too.

My subGPA is 3.82 and i got 4Q Casper, I only took an extra phonetics course over the last year to apply to McGill, didn't think it was necessary to focus on upping my grades. As soon as I was waitlisted last year, I began volunteering with older adults with aphasia and later I got a job as an SLPA working with clients of all ages and varying speech abilities. I think many people have these same types of experiences, so I would say I think the most important thing I did was re-read my personal statement from last year (mine was trash LOL) and instead of regurgitating my CV that they already have, I focused on little moments that made me more passionate about the field and helped me learn about the broader community (e.g., learning about new cultures and new life perspectives while interacting with different clients). I also did some research in my undergrad and talked about how letting research guide my practice as an SLPA helped me a lot. All in all, I think sharing the little moments you take away from relevant experiences is much more impactful than just listing what you did during an experience. Please feel free to message me if you have more questions.:)

Adding an edit to say I did not find any SLPA job postings online (only for CDA, at least in my general area) so I took it upon myself to cold email like 20 clinics lol but it only takes one to have some confidence in your ability to provide therapy!

Edited by BrocasArea

4 hours ago, jazzyslp said:

Congratulations! This is such a big decision but that is a huge achievement - getting into all 3 schools!! I’m applying next year and was wondering if you were comfortable sharing your gpa and other extra curriculars that you think helped you get accepted?

Thank you!! I can definitely share, feel free to shoot me a PM :) 

Hi! I’ve accepted my offer to U of A (Edmonton campus) and would love to connect with others also going!! Whether it’s through a Facebook group or maybe Instagram or any other way. Feel free to let me know if there already is one! 

Edited by Janslp

6 minutes ago, Janslp said:

Hi! I’ve accepted my offer to U of A and would love to connect with others also going!! Whether it’s through a Facebook group or maybe Instagram or any other way. Feel free to let me know if there already is one! 

I was thinking the same thing! I just made one. “University of Alberta - SLP Class of 2026” on Facebook

3 minutes ago, speechbean said:

I was thinking the same thing! I just made one. “University of Alberta - SLP Class of 2026” on Facebook

has anyone been accepted to the Augustana campus? It's essentially the same program so I'd love to join the group but also make a campus specific one for us! :) 

1 minute ago, slpstudentbc said:

also wondering this…doesn’t seem like it

I dont think so. I haven't either

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted so far!!! Such a huge accomplishment. I have been accepted to Western and Mcmaster on my first time applying BUT my situation was slightly unique. I applied to Dal two years ago and was waitlisted. Then I applied one year ago and was rejected. I was so devastated last year and felt so silly for only applying to one school. I can totally relate to the overwhelming emotions of defeat and confusion when a rejection happens. 

If anyone needs some guidance, someone to talk to, or help with applications, please feel free to message me. I am totally open to sharing my stats / providing feedback on applications. :) 

3 minutes ago, SLPwannabelol said:

Has anyone this year contacted western about the waitlist or their quadrants yet?

I emailed them at 1:18 at I haven't heard back yet. anyone else?

2 hours ago, speechbean said:

Thanks for making one! I requested to join :)