2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

Looking for advice as I am in a bit of a weird situation. I am currently doing a master's degree abroad, which I am on track to finish by the end of July. The university that I am at only does graduation ceremonies in the fall (I think mine is in November). I received a conditional offer from McGill which says that I need to provide official transcript and proof of graduation, however these won't be available until after the fall semester at McGill has already begun. 

I have written to the admin people already but was wondering if anyone has been in this type of situation before? I really don't want to lose my spot but worry that it's out of my hands. 

Edited by chloem

10 hours ago, Knemo said:

Hey guys, just got my letter of acceptence  uOttawa 3 days ago, ecstatic, I wanna know where my cohort is at, and if there is any group chat for the FALL 2024, I am from Montreal, and do not know Ottawa well, so lets get connected and help me please. Thank you

I also got accepted to Ottawa, but I'm leaning more towards going to Laval. I haven't heard of anything about a group chat for the new cohort, so I dont think anyone has made one yet.

4 hours ago, chloem said:

Looking for advice as I am in a bit of a weird situation. I am currently doing a master's degree abroad, which I am on track to finish by the end of July. The university that I am at only does graduation ceremonies in the fall (I think mine is in November). I received a conditional offer from McGill which says that I need to provide official transcript and proof of graduation, however these won't be available until after the fall semester at McGill has already begun. 

I have written to the admin people already but was wondering if anyone has been in this type of situation before? I really don't want to lose my spot but worry that it's out of my hands. 

Hi, I’m in a similar situation where I don’t finish classes until August 2nd because my program has a built in 1000 hour internship. I had emailed each place I wanted to apply back in the fall to confirm that they allowed a graduation date after the masters had started. U of A, Dalhousie, and Western said it was okay and I would just need a letter confirming that I’m done my course work by August 31st. McMaster said that I would have to apply the next year. So I would say that chances are that it will be okay as long as you get a letter saying you will be done, but I didn’t apply to McGill, so check with them. Also, on ORPAS McMaster stated that they required a graduation date before June 30th, 2024, so if McGill doesn’t have it stated on their application site then you will probably be fine.

7 minutes ago, speechbean said:

Just received a waitlist email from McGill. 

Ooohh good to know that they’re sending more emails out today! Hopefully I hear something. I want to hear back from McGill before I accept my offer to McMaster but I’m starting to get impatient!

Congrats to everyone getting waitlists at McGill! I’m not sure if they let you know where on the list you fall, but I will be opening up a spot (once my portal updates from “in review” lmao) because I’m going to accept an offer from an Ontario school. :) 

McMaster's Cognitive Science of Language MSc program is still accepting domestic student applications!

More info:

The program is a two-year thesis program. Students with linguistics, cognitive science of language, cognitive science, or psychology degrees usually have a good preparation for our program.

From your master’s, you can continue to a clinical program, many different kinds of management and analyst jobs, or a PhD program.

The deadline for guaranteed consideration has passed, but we still welcome good students with the right background.

More information under the link below: https://gs.mcmaster.ca/program/cognitive-science-of-language/

https://linguistics.humanities.mcmaster.ca/graduate-programs/msc-cognitive-science-of-language/

Possible supervisor research profiles can be found behind this link: https://arieal.humanities.mcmaster.ca/about-us/laboratories/

NOTE: Dr. Daniel Pape is away on research leave July 2024-July 2025 so is not accepting students/

NOTE: Not all professors under ARiEAL can supervise MSc CogSci students.

I also got a waitlist email from McGill this morning!

As a side note, is anyone considering accepting an offer from UMaine? I am hoping to get in touch with people who are thinking of going there in the fall :)

41 minutes ago, torrislp said:

I also got a waitlist email from McGill this morning!

As a side note, is anyone considering accepting an offer from UMaine? I am hoping to get in touch with people who are thinking of going there in the fall :)

I’m on the waitlist for Maine! They told me I’m 2nd on the list so hoping I get an offer soon!!

So I called McGill and they said that the decisions might roll out until Monday because they do not know if they will have enough time to send everything out today....

Edited by kristinaaa

3 minutes ago, kristinaaa said:

So I called McGill and they said that the decisions might go out until Monday because they do not know if they will have enough time to send everything out today....

Really? Omg, I was sitting here thinking it's over. Really hoping for good news!

6 minutes ago, Matthew_SLP said:

Really? Omg, I was sitting here thinking it's over. Really hoping for good news!

Yes but I was kind of more anxious that it might roll out to Monday. Hoping it comes out today! It will be good news :)