Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

Hey dude,

I can't be much of help but just letting you know that I've been told exactly the same thing by Columbia. Fingers crossed we both get in! I was checking last year posts and I found a couple of lucky guys who got in off waitlist by end March. One seemed to be in seventh heaven once they got the news. It seems it was their last hope. Therefore, one never knows what would happen. Today I woke up deciding to be as optimistic as possible. We've had enough of stress and tension recently. Let's get stronger and let's be sure we'd get in. Do you have yet to hear from other schools than NW? Don't dare lose heart regarding other applications. NW is just wonderful. Once you could make it to their very short list, it means you still have chances from other ones. Sometimes you'd experience an acceptance from somewhere you never thought of getting in. I'll be rooting for you. I want you to keep playing with the rest of your cards as professionally as you did from the beginning of this damn applications season,

Keep us posted anyways!

guys i need some help (and reassurance). Ive been wait listed at northwestern after 2 interviews and have been told that the faculty is continuing to consider my application and are hoping I will be admitted at the end. What do you think? What are my chances? I dont want to disappoint myself too much but I also dont want to be unrealistically hopeful :( Im not expecting any of the other places i applied to get back to me.

Hey guys and gals,

hope you're all well and dandy. Just heard from Duke. Got wait-listed. That potentially extends the tantalizing wait for another 7 weeks. Anybody inn, anybody rejected?

Hope you're all well and are developing coping mechanisms. If anybody has one, please share!

Peace,

S.

Hey bro,

I actually share your suffering of the waitlist syndrome with myself. However, you're lucky to have offers from Rutgers and Davis. Did they offer you good funding packages? Have you heard of anything from NYU, Columbia, CUNY or Michigan yet? What is your status?

Hey guys and gals,

hope you're all well and dandy. Just heard from Duke. Got wait-listed. That potentially extends the tantalizing wait for another 7 weeks. Anybody inn, anybody rejected?

Hope you're all well and are developing coping mechanisms. If anybody has one, please share!

Peace,

S.

I've been waitlisted by Columbia and Princeton and the fact that I'm at the top of the waitlist is like a big frustration. I have yet to hear from NYU and Yale. I gather I've been unofficially rejected by Michigan and Harvard. I am kinda sure I wouldn't get in UPenn. Yet, I am very hopeful about JHU and CUNY to a lesser degree,

What about Davis? How is their funding package? Would you prefer Rutgers to Davis? Any idea where you're standing in the Duke's waiting list? I'm remembering Duke and NYU are your top choices. I wish you'd get in off the Duke's waitlist. The admits may decline their offers before April 15. I'll be rooting for you anyways!

Hey Habibi,

I am sorry you're still in limbo. You know Duke's up there for me. So that means potentially 7more weeks of waiting, aaarggggg! No, nothing from any of them. Rutgers, is 21.000 over 12 months for 2 years and then renegotiated with TAships, for the next 3years. Just got rejected from Emory also. Not that bad, prefer Rutgers over it. Any news from your side?

Peace,

S.

The best coping mechanism is having every single person you know come stay as a house guest, one after another, so that you have no time to obsess over school stuff in the evenings/weekends!

I am with that. Lot's of friend's booze and limited internet access!

OMG! how can you be sociable during this time? That's amazing of you. I do smoke (keep it confidential but 2 packs a day) plus drink (don't ask about the quantity otherwise you'd hate me) and the most amazing of all work out, swim and run! I only communicate with 3 people! Don't prejudge at this level. I do love people but I'll make them hate me if I socialize with them these days.

I think we should develop some defense mechanism instead of coping one because we're only bombarded by either rejection or waitlist. That is at least the case for me! definitely not for everyone!

The best coping mechanism is having every single person you know come stay as a house guest, one after another, so that you have no time to obsess over school stuff in the evenings/weekends!

OMG! how can you be sociable during this time? That's amazing of you. I do smoke (keep it confidential but 2 packs a day) plus drink (don't ask about the quantity otherwise you'd hate me) and the most amazing of all work out, swim and run! I only communicate with 3 people! Don't prejudge at this level. I do love people but I'll make them hate me if I socialize with them these days.

I think we should develop some defense mechanism instead of coping one because we're only bombarded by either rejection or waitlist. That is at least the case for me! definitely not for everyone!

I'd be dead if I didn't run for the team here. Its the only 2 hours of the day I'm not thinking about decisions or working on my BA thesis. That's right, this shit haunts me in my dreams.

I hear ya, persiandoc. I'm a bit glad that I'm visiting my family at the moment, because had I stayed around my boyfriend I might have driven him mad. :)

I'm in the 2nd round right now. I applied to 9 programs last year (PhD), and I was rejected by all 9. I was, however, accepted to a med anthro master's program and a neuroscience program; however, I decided to try again.

For this application cycle, I contacted a number of professors at different schools about four months prior to applying. This helped a lot because it gave me an idea as to which schools I may have an actual chance with. Also, I made sure to cast my net widely this admissions cycle -- i.e., I applied to phd programs (anthropology), public health programs (mph), and divinity programs (mdiv, with the intent on then studying political / liberation and practical theology). I really worked on rewriting my personal statement. If the emails I sent to the professors received a favorable response, then I made sure to incorporate some part of that email into my personal statement.

And, so far, it's worked. I was accepted to Emory (mdiv, full funding), Brown (mph, w/ scholarship), Columbia (mph, w/scholarship), and Oxford (mphil anthropology, waiting on funding). I hope to get accepted to UNM (phd anthropology) and Boston U (mdiv). I also applied to UWash (phd anthropology), and I hope to get accepted, but I know it will be more difficult to get into and the funding isn't great (or so I've heard).

Also, it depends what you want to do w/ your degree. Whatever direction I take, I will eventually attend medical school. I wish to use both an academic and medical degree to help ameliorate the suffering of the disenfranchised and poor in New Mexico.

So like I said, if for some reason you don't get accepted anywhere for graduate school, sit down and reevaluate what you want to do and what you can do to get there next year! Please feel free to PM me with any questions!!

All the best,

NM

You did really well this year! Congratulations! I'm surprised to learn that MD is your ultimate goal and that you want to do a PhD first and then a MD. Most medical anthropologists I know started their careers as a MD and went on to pursue a degree in anthropology. But not all medical anthropologists have a PhD in anthropology :) In any case, I really admire your determination and courage to spend the next 10+ years in grad school. Only people who have a clear goal like yourself will have the determination to do two doctorates! I think it's remarkable! :)

Please forgive my ignorance, but I am wondering why a Mdiv. is relevant to your career goal. :mellow:

Edited by Peanut

You know what? I'm only hanging out with a very good friend of mine who's absolutely tolerant of my complaints from waitlists, rejections and waiting! Yet, he hates me when I drink and smoke to that extent! It's so funny how he's surprised when I outpace him in the swimming. He's also my trainer in the gym.

Did you get the final decision on SMS? How many offers do you already have? Did you get an interview from Yale?

I hear ya, persiandoc. I'm a bit glad that I'm visiting my family at the moment, because had I stayed around my boyfriend I might have driven him mad. :)

I have a rule where I don't talk about grad school with any of my friends/family members or my boyfriend. This rule came into effect when I realized that there's nothing anyone can do for you, ESPECIALLY those not involved in the application process whatsoever. Listening to me whine incessantly kind of loses its charm after a few minutes, ya know? That's why being part of a community where people are clearly a little bit obsessive and/or anxiety-stricken is so awesome: because ya'll know where I'm coming from!

Cheers guys. Good luck to us all :)

You know what? I'm only hanging out with a very good friend of mine who's absolutely tolerant of my complaints from waitlists, rejections and waiting! Yet, he hates me when I drink and smoke to that extent! It's so funny how he's surprised when I outpace him in the swimming. He's also my trainer in the gym.

Did you get the final decision on SMS? How many offers do you already have? Did you get an interview from Yale?

Nope, no word yet - it's been complete radio silence. I think if SMS don't get back to me by next Friday, I might give them a ring/email, since it'll have been more than three weeks since the interview.

No other offers yet, no interview from Yale. But Columbia's SMS, followed by UCSC's History of Cosciousness program (which is always very slow to respond) are the programs I'm keenest on, so I'm not brooding quite yet.

That's what I love about this forum the most; you think you're not an outcast OCD kind of a person anymore! I wish we were all able to be in a real cafe together! Just imagine how wonderful it would have been!

I have a rule where I don't talk about grad school with any of my friends/family members or my boyfriend. This rule came into effect when I realized that there's nothing anyone can do for you, ESPECIALLY those not involved in the application process whatsoever. Listening to me whine incessantly kind of loses its charm after a few minutes, ya know? That's why being part of a community where people are clearly a little bit obsessive and/or anxiety-stricken is so awesome: because ya'll know where I'm coming from!

Cheers guys. Good luck to us all :)

That's what I love about this forum the most; you think you're not an outcast OCD kind of a person anymore! I wish we were all able to be in a real cafe together! Just imagine how wonderful it would have been!

hahaha I feel bad for the staff at this imaginary cafe! But ah, a group of budding anthropologists in a room together sounds fantastic...almost sounds a bit like GRAD SCHOOL (but cheaper and less competitive). *sigh* one can dream.

p.s. persiandoc, I feel so sorry for your trainer at this point! I think he, of all people, will be the most grateful once this application period is done!

I wish we could both get in Columbia and I'll tell you the story of what I went through to apply to Columbia. It's quite interesting! But there's no room for that here,

You got any idea how many would they take for SMS? I bet their cohort should be smaller than anthro,

Nope, no word yet - it's been complete radio silence. I think if SMS don't get back to me by next Friday, I might give them a ring/email, since it'll have been more than three weeks since the interview.

No other offers yet, no interview from Yale. But Columbia's SMS, followed by UCSC's History of Cosciousness program (which is always very slow to respond) are the programs I'm keenest on, so I'm not brooding quite yet.

Yeah you're right! I love him. He's one of a kind. He picks me up from home almost everyday, we go to the pool, we hang out together and then we go to the gym. He also drops me at home late at night. He's so adorable and handsome of course (hahaha)

hahaha I feel bad for the staff at this imaginary cafe! But ah, a group of budding anthropologists in a room together sounds fantastic...almost sounds a bit like GRAD SCHOOL (but cheaper and less competitive). *sigh* one can dream.

p.s. persiandoc, I feel so sorry for your trainer at this point! I think he, of all people, will be the most grateful once this application period is done!

I wish we could both get in Columbia and I'll tell you the story of what I went through to apply to Columbia. It's quite interesting! But there's no room for that here,

You got any idea how many would they take for SMS? I bet their cohort should be smaller than anthro,

Who knows - maybe we both will!

I have no clue about the SMS numbers, but they did mention that there's a bit of internal re-organisation (seems to be the case everywhere, really), which might mean they'll change their intake patterns. I'm guessing a small cohort as well. Is it still a cohort if it's just two or three people? Cohort just sounds... larger somehow.

Hahahaha! I burst out into laughter when I got your point as far as cohort's concerned. Yet, they still call it 2011 cohort! You should have applied to linguistic anthropology indeed!

Who knows - maybe we both will!

I have no clue about the SMS numbers, but they did mention that there's a bit of internal re-organisation (seems to be the case everywhere, really), which might mean they'll change their intake patterns. I'm guessing a small cohort as well. Is it still a cohort if it's just two or three people? Cohort just sounds... larger somehow.

Hey guys, I heard back from Boston University! I was accepted, but on the wait-list for financial aid...

"Congratulations! The Admissions Committee of the Anthropology Department is recommending you for admission to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

In addition, the Admissions Committee is recommending that you be placed on the wait-list for financial aid.

You will receive official notification from the Graduate School within the next week."