Comp Lit roll call: F11!

So the fact that I also have not heard anything yet probably means that I did not get accepted there ... that's what I thought.

I didn't mean to plant despair in your heart. :) The waitlist is a very real possibility. But perusing last year's results, it doesn't look good for those of us who haven't been contacted yet.

I didn't mean to plant despair in your heart. :) The waitlist is a very real possibility. But perusing last year's results, it doesn't look good for those of us who haven't been contacted yet.

I also agree with that. There seems to be a pattern that those who do get in are notified together on the same day. Those who do not get in are not always notified at the same time, something which I find strange. Why wouldn't the school care to let those who were rejected know of their rejection a.s.a.p.? I guess it could be because they are still being considered for the waitlist. But even then, if they already know who they want and who they do not want, why not let everyone know at the same time? It should not be so hard to come up with a wait list after all.

I also agree with that. There seems to be a pattern that those who do get in are notified together on the same day. Those who do not get in are not always notified at the same time, something which I find strange. Why wouldn't the school care to let those who were rejected know of their rejection a.s.a.p.? I guess it could be because they are still being considered for the waitlist. But even then, if they already know who they want and who they do not want, why not let everyone know at the same time? It should not be so hard to come up with a wait list after all.

Ah, no despair! I was accepted at Emory and I am incredibly pleased with their offer.

Hello all! I just joined, so I'm a little behind on the news. However, I did see on the results board that someone has been accepted to NYU F11 Comparative Literature via phone six days ago. Is this true :( :( :(

Please tell me it's not. thanx

Hello all! I just joined, so I'm a little behind on the news. However, I did see on the results board that someone has been accepted to NYU F11 Comparative Literature via phone six days ago. Is this true :( :( :(

Please tell me it's not. thanx

To those who haven't heard a thing from schools,

Do not despair. At least not yet. Here is why:

1. Although this does not happen often, it is not unheard of candidates being accepted at different times. For example, this year, somebody was accepted at the Comp. Lit. Program at Northwestern in the end of January and another applicant was also accepted just three days ago. So you and I could be next.

2. The fact that you have not yet heard anything also means that they have not yet rejected you. Most likely, by this time, no answer at least means that your application might be still considered for waitlist.

3. The waitlist is a real possibility. In fact, applicants who are accepted at places such as Cornell or Yale are likely to get accepted in more than one school. They can only choose one of course, and that means that some folks in the waitlist are bound to get accepted.

4. Some applicants do get accepted with great funding at a much later date than mid February. Looking at past years I noticed that some people found out by late April that they got in the school they dreamed of with great funding.

I guess that's all. But enough to be optimistic eh?

Edited by buenor

Has anyone heard from Yale Comp Lit/Film? It seems a bit later than last year's notifications and I still haven't heard anything.

Nope. I'm also waiting on their Comp Lit. I was hoping Monday would lift last week's spell on programs. But I guess people might be on holiday today.

Nope. I'm also waiting on their Comp Lit. I was hoping Monday would lift last week's spell on programs. But I guess people might be on holiday today.

Just out of curiosity, how many languages would you be coming in with? I'm coming from the film side more than the comp lit side so I wasn't sure what the norm was for comp. lit. The website seems to suggest they expect quite a few.

Has anyone heard from Yale Comp Lit/Film? It seems a bit later than last year's notifications and I still haven't heard anything.

I also applied to Yale Comp. Lit. and so far haven't heard anything from them either.

I know it seems like the programs are snoozing re: admissions decisions but it's only February; most decisions are going to be finalized in March and, even, April. For those who haven't heard yet (myself included), I think that it means that our applications are still in review. There was a great post re: Columbia's screening process that acknowledged that there are applications in "limbo" that take longer b/c some have approved them while others have not. I don't know if that means "waitlisted" or just "maybe." I think that if you're waitlisted, the university lets you know. So, I assume that no news means still "in review," which is not great but it isn't terrible either. It's important to consider the date that you submitted your app b/c I think that apps might be considered in order of arrival. My apps were submitted very close to the final deadlines of each school so I imagine that I will be one of the last to be notified, which sucks but is fair.

I think that more decisions are going to come out the week of and after Spring Break b/c reviewers will have had more time to review, meet, and discuss candidates with one another. It sucks to wait but I really do think that, if you haven't heard yet, it's probably because you're app hasn't even been reviewed yet.

I know it seems like the programs are snoozing re: admissions decisions but it's only February; most decisions are going to be finalized in March and, even, April. For those who haven't heard yet (myself included), I think that it means that our applications are still in review. There was a great post re: Columbia's screening process that acknowledged that there are applications in "limbo" that take longer b/c some have approved them while others have not. I don't know if that means "waitlisted" or just "maybe." I think that if you're waitlisted, the university lets you know. So, I assume that no news means still "in review," which is not great but it isn't terrible either. It's important to consider the date that you submitted your app b/c I think that apps might be considered in order of arrival. My apps were submitted very close to the final deadlines of each school so I imagine that I will be one of the last to be notified, which sucks but is fair.

I think that more decisions are going to come out the week of and after Spring Break b/c reviewers will have had more time to review, meet, and discuss candidates with one another. It sucks to wait but I really do think that, if you haven't heard yet, it's probably because you're app hasn't even been reviewed yet.

When is Spring Break?

Just out of curiosity, how many languages would you be coming in with? I'm coming from the film side more than the comp lit side so I wasn't sure what the norm was for comp. lit. The website seems to suggest they expect quite a few.

Hm... I'd be coming in with five languages at the native/advanced level, and two at the beginner's. But I realize I'm probably not the norm...

This makes a lot of sense. I did submit my applications quite early, some three-four weeks in advance, but I realize of course that many other factors as the ones you've mentioned go into it.

IntaTea: for Spring Break dates, check the online academic calendar of the school you're interested in. It varies.

This makes a lot of sense. I did submit my applications quite early, some three-four weeks in advance, but I realize of course that many other factors as the ones you've mentioned go into it.

IntaTea: for Spring Break dates, check the online academic calendar of the school you're interested in. It varies.

I also forgot to mention that a lot may also depend on the subject of your writing sample. Mine as an obscure text that any department would probably have to order internationally to read and then evaluate my argument; not sure if they check your bib sources as well, but, if they do, that's more extra time needed.

I also forgot to mention that a lot may also depend on the subject of your writing sample. Mine as an obscure text that any department would probably have to order internationally to read and then evaluate my argument; not sure if they check your bib sources as well, but, if they do, that's more extra time needed.

All right people, here is what I suggest you all to do. Email the DGS of each program you applied to. I did just that and already got answers from two. They were both rejections but it starts clarifying things a bit. Don't worry about upsetting anybody, they're used to and payed to do this.

I'm a fellow Comp Lit PhD applicant but only to UMass this year. I got into a 1-y grad program at Smith College through my UMass application last year and also took a grad course there this Fall. I saw on the results page that somebody got accepted on Friday... Needless to say, this freaks me out since I haven't heard anything and I saw the DGS on Thursday night. Should I send him an email to ask?

I'm a fellow Comp Lit PhD applicant but only to UMass this year. I got into a 1-y grad program at Smith College through my UMass application last year and also took a grad course there this Fall. I saw on the results page that somebody got accepted on Friday... Needless to say, this freaks me out since I haven't heard anything and I saw the DGS on Thursday night. Should I send him an email to ask?

Hi,

I was the one accepted to UMass on Friday. I got an e-mail in the early AM hours that my application status had changed and when I went to go check the website, it said that I had been accepted. I got a letter from the DGS in the mail today letting me know that I was in and an e-mail from their OIT to set up an account on Spire. Unfortunately, they did not say anything about how many people were being accepted, and I have yet to hear from the department itself, but if I hear anything from them I am happy to pass it along

Best of luck!

Hello all,

I applied to CUNY Grad Center for Comp literature, as well as Rutgers, Stony Brook , Yale Comp lit /Film, NYU and Harvard film and Visual Studies.

I am a practicing artist, but also have a BA in English &Comp lit from Columbia university and am finishing a LSMA in modern European studies.

Thesis on Wordsworth and capitalism and major interests in aesthetics/ ethics. 19th century French and English.

I was rejected from Stony Brook with out so much as a "how's your father" in the cockney vernacular. I have not heard from any one else.

We do seem to be a shy crowd.

Like you, I am becoming obsessive about checking my email, especially since Stony Brook sent no notice, which I think is rather unfair.

NYU told me they continued admitting right up untill mid April, tweaking their admissions.

Hello all,

I applied to CUNY Grad Center for Comp literature, as well as Rutgers, Stony Brook , Yale Comp lit /Film, NYU and Harvard film and Visual Studies.

I am a practicing artist, but also have a BA in English &Comp lit from Columbia university and am finishing a LSMA in modern European studies.

Thesis on Wordsworth and capitalism and major interests in aesthetics/ ethics. 19th century French and English.

I was rejected from Stony Brook with out so much as a "how's your father" in the cockney vernacular. I have not heard from any one else.

We do seem to be a shy crowd.

Like you, I am becoming obsessive about checking my email, especially since Stony Brook sent no notice, which I think is rather unfair.

NYU told me they continued admitting right up untill mid April, tweaking their admissions.

Don't give up yet!

I was also surprised by Stony Brook's rejection last year (considered it my 'safe school', haha) but they did send me a nice letter. Did you receive your rejection by internet or mail? A letter might still be on its way.

Don't give up yet!

I was also surprised by Stony Brook's rejection last year (considered it my 'safe school', haha) but they did send me a nice letter. Did you receive your rejection by internet or mail? A letter might still be on its way.

Thanks for the bon mots. Internet.

A letter would be nice. I would like to get into CUNY, perhaps even more than Yale. My GPA 3.8, super strong LORS. Verbal 670. I wonder if the GRE will rule me right out?

Congrats on Smith. Great school.

Edited by Watmeworry

My GRE score is way worse. Actually, I'm fed up by the GRE obsession here in the US. The GRE test says NOTHING about research skills! As a non-native speaker of English, the time I've put in learning endless list of words could be better invested in doing actual research. My English vocabulary has expanded to the extent that American students in the classroom do not understand me. And, if I use my fancy GRE words in papers, professors say that my language is too stiff.

So, if my GRE score is what keeps me from being accepted to a PhD, then they can all go **** themselves. :o

:D

Edited by Lise