Comp Lit roll call: F11!

Who else is applying to Comp Lit programs, and where are you applying? Share your research interests, talk about your dream school, and let's get to know each other. We're a tiny field--I'm sure we'll eventually run into each other!

I want to work on France in the 60s and contemporary Egypt, and perhaps Latin America in the 80s. I'd like to focus on the interaction between lit, film and societal change in each country/period. My top choice is Yale; I'm so excited about their course offerings in New Wave cinema, contemporary Arabic lit and theory (esp. deconstruction), as well as their huge collection of Egyptian films at the library. They also have an amazing French department. I kind of internally squee every time I look at their 'Graduate Seminars' page.

I keep getting nightmares about the application process. In one of them, someone posted on here saying they're applying to Comp Lit programs and they speak ten languages, and I was like, "I'm dooooooomed!"

Anyway, I'm gonna shut up now, but you guys have to do the talking! :)

sooo no one else is showing up? hm well i also applied to Cornell for Comp Lit.

my interests are mostly in heterosexual cultural studies. specifically, I'd like to study 'pick-up artistry' and, i guess, seduction techniques generally in terms of souci de soi.

Good LUCK!!!

Hey there! Yeah, it seems we're the only ones on here. Either that, or Comp Lit is a really shy field.

Where else have you applied? Or is it just Cornell? This is not my area at all, but I have heard they've got great faculty and resources for Gender/Sexuality Studies. What are your languages/literatures?

Hey there! Yeah, it seems we're the only ones on here. Either that, or Comp Lit is a really shy field.

Where else have you applied? Or is it just Cornell? This is not my area at all, but I have heard they've got great faculty and resources for Gender/Sexuality Studies. What are your languages/literatures?

I applied mostly to English programs, but have applied to Comp' Lit' at Rutgers - I weighed up the two departments at each school I applied to and eventually settled on mostly English...although Chicago broke my heart - I loved both departments so much.

I'm in C20th and Contemporary/ Postmodern Lit', mainly English but also German and Scandinavian, and lots of French theory and psychoanalysis.

Edited by wreckofthehope

yeah i wonder. i actually applied to scattered comp lit programs last year and as i remember there was much more activity on the forum than there is now.... are there fewer candidates this year? are we more cautious?

anyway, Cornell's the only place i applied to for comp lit. my main languages are french and italian--i was kind of half-joking about wanting to study seducers and playas--i'm really more into the italian marx. my language work, however, is still rather basic, so in addition to Cornell I've sent out apps to english places.

(wreckofthehope, why is Rutgers the only comp lit you're applying to?)

anyway, Cornell's the only place i applied to for comp lit. my main languages are french and italian--i was kind of half-joking about wanting to study seducers and playas--i'm really more into the italian marx. my language work, however, is still rather basic, so in addition to Cornell I've sent out apps to english places.

(wreckofthehope, why is Rutgers the only comp lit you're applying to?)

My project is very interdisciplinary and theory-based, so Comp' Lit' programs often seemed to offer the best fit but, like you, I'm a bit iffy on the language preparation side of things...I wasn't sure I would measure up to the standards of the other applicants; so, I decided to apply to a mixture of English and Comp Lit' programs, cherry picking whichever department felt most comfortable for me at each school. As it turns out, English felt right at the majority... I had a tough time deciding for both Chicago and Toronto - but Toronto Comp Lit's very strict language requirements eventually made me plump for English (plus their whole 'we're being closed down' blip earlier in the year). At Rutgers the decision was easy, because the English department was not really a good fit for me at all, while the Comp' Lit' department is a great fit.

I'm also applying to Emory's ILA program, which narrowly beat-out their Comp' Lit' program for my love.

Edited by wreckofthehope

wreckofthehope--Hello! I was intrigued by Chicago's program, as well, but I had to limit my US apps to 4, for financial and logistical reasons. But it certainly is very attractive.

dollabills yall--I'm a little jealous of the "eng2011 roundup" thread! :D Hopefully, more fellow comparatists will come out of the woodwork soon.

I didn't get the impression that language requirements were that rigid or essential to applications, in any of the programs I've looked at. But I'm basically you guys' opposite--languages are the strongest part of my application, and I feel other important components, like my writing or my undergrad work, are not very competitive.

By the way, I'm mixing it up as well... I was advised to apply to the Middle Eastern and Islam Studies department at NYU, and do my comparative project within their Arabic Literature track. I'm also applying to ICLS at Columbia through Middle Eastern, South Asian and African Studies.

Good luck to all of us, including any lurkers who might be around! :)

Last year I applied to numerous Comp Lit programs (NYU, Berkeley, Stanford, WUSTL, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, Indiana, UConn) and received mostly rejections. I was accepted into Indiana but without funding and by the time I received my UConn acceptance, I had already become comfortable with the idea of reapplying the following year.

In doing more research this year I found out that English programs were actually more suited for my area of research (the interplay of religious and nonreligious texts). I guess last year I just assumed I should apply to Comp Lit programs because my BA is in Comp Lit.

This year I have reapplied to Indiana Comp Lit to be considered for fellowships but have also applied to 8 English programs (I don't want to pollute the comp lit exclusivity here, so I will list these in the English forum).

The language issue might have been a contributing factor to my rejections last year. I only had a very poor understanding of Italian and a somewhat competent grasp of French, but that only comes from taking upper div French classes my last year of undergrad.

For comp lit, I think the competition is really fierce when it comes to language prep....I don't think the departments want to fund students for more years than they have to for them to meet their language reqs. On the flip side, my mediocre language skills might be a plus for English programs. We'll see!

On 12/31/2010 at 10:10 AM, BillyPilgrim said:

Last year I applied to numerous Comp Lit programs (NYU, Berkeley, Stanford, WUSTL, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, Indiana, UConn) and received mostly rejections. I was accepted into Indiana but without funding and by the time I received my UConn acceptance, I had already become comfortable with the idea of reapplying the following year.

In doing more research this year I found out that English programs were actually more suited for my area of research (the interplay of religious and nonreligious texts). I guess last year I just assumed I should apply to Comp Lit programs because my BA is in Comp Lit.

This year I have reapplied to Indiana Comp Lit to be considered for fellowships but have also applied to 8 English programs (I don't want to pollute the comp lit exclusivity here, so I will list these in the English forum).

The language issue might have been a contributing factor to my rejections last year. I only had a very poor understanding of Italian and a somewhat competent grasp of French, but that only comes from taking upper div French classes my last year of undergrad.

For comp lit, I think the competition is really fierce when it comes to language prep....I don't think the departments want to fund students for more years than they have to for them to meet their language reqs. On the flip side, my mediocre language skills might be a plus for English programs. We'll see!

Hello and welcome! Maybe you could still tell us about your research interests? Congrats on your two acceptances last year, all the same--this is still impressive!

• 2 weeks later...

My project is very interdisciplinary and theory-based, so Comp' Lit' programs often seemed to offer the best fit but, like you, I'm a bit iffy on the language preparation side of things...I wasn't sure I would measure up to the standards of the other applicants; so, I decided to apply to a mixture of English and Comp Lit' programs, cherry picking whichever department felt most comfortable for me at each school.

I'm also applying to Emory's ILA program, which narrowly beat-out their Comp' Lit' program for my love.

Wow this is almost precisely the situation I am in. I first found out about Emory's CompLit and drooled over it for months, before eventually deciding on ILA. It's without a doubt one of my top 3 choices.

I also went where the faculty research/offerings fit my interests rather than a specific set of departments. The only comp lit dept. I applied to was Cornell, and I almost applied to their history dept. The stringent language requirements were definitely a deterrent for me, someone with only mediocre second/third language skills, and I suspect they were advertised as such for this reason :)

I'm going for psychoanalysis, animal studies and critical theory "as such", and how they've manifested in 20th Century American culture, literature, etc.

Edited by KRC

Wow this is almost precisely the situation I am in. I first found out about Emory's CompLit and drooled over it for months, before eventually deciding on ILA. It's without a doubt one of my top 3 choices.

I also went where the faculty research/offerings fit my interests rather than a specific set of departments. The only comp lit dept. I applied to was Cornell, and I almost applied to their history dept. The stringent language requirements were definitely a deterrent for me, someone with only mediocre second/third language skills, and I suspect they were advertised as such for this reason :)

I'm going for psychoanalysis, animal studies and critical theory "as such", and how they've manifested in 20th Century American culture, literature, etc.

I am so, so excited about the ILA program!- it's one of my top choices too. I think we' may potentially be in direct competition with each other though ( :( !) - I'm doing psychoanalysis, ecocrit, critical theory and landscape representation... a somewhat similar constellation of interests.

I am so, so excited about the ILA program!- it's one of my top choices too.

Same here. I found it relatively late in scouting schools and I wish i'd found it sooner.

think we' may potentially be in direct competition with each other though ( :( !)

Indeedsmile.gif-

I'm doing psychoanalysis, ecocrit, critical theory and landscape representation... a somewhat similar constellation of interests.

What kind of psychoanalysis are you interested in? What other programs have you applied to?

What kind of psychoanalysis are you interested in? What other programs have you applied to?

Lacan and Kristeva (aesthetics) mostly, also Object Relations (esp' Winnicott). I did most of my M.A. work on Freud, Ferenczi, Otto Rank and Jung and wouldn't be averse to revisting them... but they're not so related to my current interests. You?

I've also applied to : UChicago, Toronto, Stanford, Harvard, UBC, Simon Fraser and Boston College for English, and Rutgers for Comp Lit.

Edited by wreckofthehope

Lacan and Kristeva (aesthetics) mostly, also Object Relations (esp' Winnicott). I did most of my M.A. work on Freud, Ferenczi, Otto Rank and Jung and wouldn't be averse to revisting them... but they're not so related to my current interests. You?

I've also applied to : UChicago, Toronto, Stanford, Harvard, UBC, Simon Fraser and Boston College for English, and Rutgers for Comp Lit.

Ah so with your background I presume you're going for association with the PSP and/or EUPI at Emory?

Lacan and Freud and their "applications" to political theory and animal rights. I also did a thesis on the roots of Lacanian theory looking at the material from which he drew beyond Freud: Hegel, Saussure, Jakobson, Levi-Strauss, cybernetics etc. etc. But ultimately I'm most interested in actual clinical situations.

I gotta say all these interviews being given out by multiple departments at Emory besides CompLit and ILA is making me intensely nervous. Perhaps it's time to step away from the Results page...

... I check the Results page twice a day. :/

YAY 4 Lacan & Kristeva!!! Hey y'all - I'm another Comp Lit person willing to come out from hiding. I prefer interdisciplinary programs but in many cases that led to Comp Lit... at least @ UChicago, Duke, UPenn, Cornell, and Dartmouth. In other areas I applied to: MTL @ Stanford, Social Thought @ UChicago, and Modern Culture & Media @ Brown.

• 2 weeks later...

A big congrats--Emory and WashU seems great!

I just found gradcafe, and I applied to Brown (rejected), WashU (presumed rejection), Penn State, CUNY, Notre Dame (in Literature), and UConn. Brown was my top choice after living in Europe for a while, since it's really close to my family and I did undergrad work in Providence and love it. Oh, well, I guess. I wish there was a non-Ivy school in Providence or Boston.

In any case, a CUNY professor has been e-mailing with questions about my SOP. I wonder if that is normal or bodes well? (Or badly?)

In any case, a CUNY professor has been e-mailing with questions about my SOP. I wonder if that is normal or bodes well? (Or badly?)

I have been lurking around here for a while hesitating to come out of hiding, but this calls for a "if somebody (presumably a busy somebody) bothers writing to you, they're interested!" I know nothing about academia (non trad applicant for Comp Lit MA/PhD, never been in a traditional university, never studied in the US), but I'm pretty sure that's a universal rule. Especially if they bothered reading/quoting your SOP, this definitely is not generic. If you have an advisor, you should show them the email and ask them what they think about it (try to guess at what it is trying to assess), if not perhaps share a bit more here?

Hi everybody,

I applied to Ph.D. comparative literature programs and so far the only school that got back to me was Emory University. I was accepted there and that's fantastic of course. I was checking the results for the other schools I applied to and it seems that people are already accepted at UChicago, Cornell and Northwestern. I applied to these three schools but have not heard anything from them yet. But I think that now I am mostly pessimistic about my chances in these three places. Am I right or do schools sometimes accept applicants not all at once? I also noticed that a couple of people were already rejected but I still stand in the dark. What do you guys think?

Thank you! I'm very excited about Emory. I knew the professors were brilliant, but I've learned that they are also incredibly nice, which matters a lot more to me. In case you're interested, there were four spots in Comp Lit this year and twelve interviews.

Just curious - are you (or anyone else admitted to Emory Comp Lit) planning on enrolling elsewhere? I was put at the top of the waitlist and want to get a better idea of where I stand. Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I applied to Ph.D. comparative literature programs and so far the only school that got back to me was Emory University. I was accepted there and that's fantastic of course. I was checking the results for the other schools I applied to and it seems that people are already accepted at UChicago, Cornell and Northwestern. I applied to these three schools but have not heard anything from them yet. But I think that now I am mostly pessimistic about my chances in these three places. Am I right or do schools sometimes accept applicants not all at once? I also noticed that a couple of people were already rejected but I still stand in the dark. What do you guys think?

You might be on a waitlist. I also applied to Cornell, but I'm assuming I got rejected since I didn't hear from them.

You might be on a waitlist. I also applied to Cornell, but I'm assuming I got rejected since I didn't hear from them.

So the fact that I also have not heard anything yet probably means that I did not get accepted there ... that's what I thought.