Comp Lit roll call: F11!

I only applied 2 places - UC Irvine Comp Lit and UC Riverside English. I'm assuming a rejection for both since historically there doesn't seem to be any admits after first acceptances on the results board. I had 2 languages, high GRE scores and what the professors at my MA institution called a "multiple offer" writing sample and SOP. I guess that's what happens when you don't apply cross-country, but in our situation, that wasn't going to work.

Hey, everyone. I can't believe I didn't know about this site or this forum. I'm bursting at the seams waiting to geek out.

After saving up for two years off from school and some teaching in S. America, I applied to twelve programs. 3 Comp. Lit. programs, 4 English MA programs, and 5 English PhD programs. So far, good reception from the MA and Comp. Lit. Programs. Embarrassingly, I think it was in the process that I felt Comp. Lit. was a begrudged best fit for me.

Anybody else heavily considering Rutgers (and possibly going to the dinner next week)?

I wish that the colleges would give some greater consideration to let us know. I applied to Rutgers, but heard nothing . Anyone think it is worth emailing the program so that I can cross this off. Is there any chance that they might still put people on a waitlist?

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard back from Columbia's comp lit MA program? I haven't seen anything at all on the results page.

I only applied to two places, and I'll almost definitely be going to CUNY Grad Center in the fall because I don't want to be paying back student loans for all eternity (and I am quite excited for CUNY), but I would like to hear back from Columbia either way so it can feel like more of a decision when I press that little "Accept" button on CUNY's website.

Good luck to the people still waiting, though! I do acknowledge that this is the most minor sort of limbo, so I feel a little bad complaining.

I'm actually waiting on both CUNY Grad Center (for the comp lit Ph.D) and Columbia (for the comp lit MA). I wish they'd both just hurry up already! I'm getting really antsy and I don't have any acceptances yet, though I'm really holding out for CUNY. According to the results boards, there have been a few rejections already, but only 2 or 3 Ph.D acceptances. I wish I knew the size of the cohort they are aiming for, but apparently they received over 100 applications.

As far as Columbia, though -- I don't know any details. :[

Has anyone heard back from Columbia's comp lit MA program? I haven't seen anything at all on the results page.

I only applied to two places, and I'll almost definitely be going to CUNY Grad Center in the fall because I don't want to be paying back student loans for all eternity (and I am quite excited for CUNY), but I would like to hear back from Columbia either way so it can feel like more of a decision when I press that little "Accept" button on CUNY's website.

Good luck to the people still waiting, though! I do acknowledge that this is the most minor sort of limbo, so I feel a little bad complaining.

Did you email Rutgers? I emailed the grad sec last week and they got back to me within a few days letting me know that I was waitlisted. Still waiting in that regard though!

I had an email that said the process could even go into June, but nothing more explicit.It is really nerve wracking.

Edited by Watmeworry

Yes, its technically "English and Comp Lit." Are you currently at Columbia, Watmeworry?

Yes, I am in the LSMA, Modern European Studies, but my undergraduate degree is in English and Comp lit from columbia too. My adviser is the director of Comparative lit institute.

I wish I could tell you something. Did you say that you wanted to be in that part of the program on the application?

I can say that my adviser canceled his office hours yesterday...maybe he's looking at that application right now.

Good luck.

Hey there! I'm interested in studying 80s and 90s Chilean literature and contemporary Palestinian lit. I plan on comparing feminist and gender perspectives b/n the two, maybe also a look at cinema.

Thinking of applying to UMich, WUSTL (Dual Spanish + Comp Lit degree), Yale, and 1 or 2 other programs. I'm super nervous for the writing sample since I am planning on writing a brand new paper.

• 4 months later...

In the end i switched my Comp lit application to a French PH.D in the CUNY system. (Some programs will let you do this if your primary language of study is offered. In the end, I'll take many of the same class options as there is a Comparative studies program with in my department. Langage programs are far less crowded. Not for everyone ,but a good option to consider.

I am from Costa Rica. I am Fulbright Scholarship candidate. I am completely lost abot what schools to apply. My maine languages are Spanish and English. I would also love somethings that includes Film Studies. I am also a little confused lately, because I've also seen some great Writing Masters.

Which schools do you recommend?