mentioning specific faculty-- good/bad idea?

How does it generally come off to mention specific faculty? After laying out my specific research interest, and figures/themes I want to pursue, does it make sense to write: "so and so, through addressing such and such, would enable me to ..."

How do you even word these things? Should I mention their relevant books and articles?

I have never met these people before, and haven't read in any substantive way their work, so what would be a professional way to indicate that they would be relevant? i figured that by giving them a detailed research plan with specific currents and figures I want to study (that the department offers) that enable me to pursue my plan they would themselves be able to identify whether or not it is an appropriate fit. any opinions on this?

I would also really appreciate any suggestions for how to loosely refer to specific faculty members.

How does it generally come off to mention specific faculty? After laying out my specific research interest, and figures/themes I want to pursue, does it make sense to write: "so and so, through addressing such and such, would enable me to ..."

How do you even word these things? Should I mention their relevant books and articles?

I have never met these people before, and haven't read in any substantive way their work, so what would be a professional way to indicate that they would be relevant? i figured that by giving them a detailed research plan with specific currents and figures I want to study (that the department offers) that enable me to pursue my plan they would themselves be able to identify whether or not it is an appropriate fit. any opinions on this?

I would also really appreciate any suggestions for how to loosely refer to specific faculty members.

I wrote it this way: "I am exсited about the opportunity to learn from the school’s faculty members who explore different aspects of <...> and <...>, among them

Professor A, Professor B and Professor C".

You do not need to mention specific books and articles. Of course if you can do that it may be a plus.

Certainly. Mentioning professors is good because it meant that you did your research on the program, and you're not just blindly applying. It could go something like, "since I'm really interested in (this topic), it'd be super cool to work with Professor X or Professor Y..." You don't have to mention specific books or articles, but do make sure you're aware of their current research. They're not looking for specific plans, but proof that you have interests, ideas, and direction. As long as you can explain your research interests and tie in how the faculty/program would benefit you, that should be good.

When mentioning faculty members, if you choose to mention papers they have written (they usually put selected first author publications on their bio sketch page) in your SOP or in an email to them, I would make sure you know it enough to discuss it when it perhaps, comes time for an interview, phone conversation, etc.

If you like what they do I would mention them. My boss is on an adcom and informed me when writing an SOP if you do not mention faculty members you are interested in working with, it may show you have not done your homework- as in, did you look at the programs website and the faculty members research areas? Not mentioning a faculty member or a research area may come off as you just want to be in the program, but you have no direction. That is not the type of student they want to invest $25,000 a year in for the next 5+ years.

I was told to mention up to 4 faculty members and to make sure they were A.) taking students and B.) they were in somewhat different areas of research, within the specific program.

My personal experience with mentioning a faculty member's paper is that I was called my that faculty member for an interview to the program, (which was awesome) Professor X brought up "You read my paper----, what did you think about the methods?" I actually had read the paper, and it was awesome to talk about it. But unless your willing to commit to reading it and knowing it, don't mention it.

I hope this helps :)