2011 Theology Application Results!!!

new mexico

The title says it all! Let's get this rolling!

What program did you apply to and for what degree? When did you hear back and what was the result? What's your decision? etc etc

Here's my information:

Applied to: Boston University (Mdiv), Candler (Mdiv)

Results: none yet.

I look forward to hearing from other applicants!

Edited by new mexico

The title says it all! Let's get this rolling!

What program did you apply to and for what degree? When did you hear back and what was the result? What's your decision? etc etc

Here's my information:

Applied to: Boston University (Mdiv), Candler (Mdiv)

Results: none yet.

I look forward to hearing from other applicants!

A Methodist?

My bad; those are just traditionally Methodist places to train for ministry, but I'm sure you could be interested in interdenominational dialogue or not even interested in ordained ministry.

i'm not interested in ordination. i like boston u because of the "new" mdiv where one can take all electives outside of divinity; for example, one can take his or her electives in public health, anthropology, philosophy, sociology, etc. i like emory because of the proximity to the medical school and the faith / healing and religion and society focus.

My bad; those are just traditionally Methodist places to train for ministry, but I'm sure you could be interested in interdenominational dialogue or not even interested in ordained ministry.

also, BU gives full scholarships + stipends to individuals based on academic merit, which makes it very attractive!

i'm not interested in ordination. i like boston u because of the "new" mdiv where one can take all electives outside of divinity; for example, one can take his or her electives in public health, anthropology, philosophy, sociology, etc. i like emory because of the proximity to the medical school and the faith / healing and religion and society focus.

I might end up applying to Boston U's, but right now I'm focused on my January 11th and 15th deadlines.

So, funnily enough, this thread is just a conversation between you and I. I'll actually give my info.

Applied to: Andover Newton, Boston U, Candler, Harvard, Union, Vanderbilt, and Yale (alphabetical ordering)

For: MDiv

Lord, I hope I get in somewhere....

Applying to HDS MTS, and maybe GTU's common MA. I'm an undergrad, but a nontraditional student. I was also considering UCSB and Princeton's NES program, but I didn't think they were good enough fits for me to be worth the expense.

I'm applying to Yale, Harvard, and Vandy in their M.A.R programs and at UGA and Georgia in their M.A. programs.

Also, does anyone think it is weird that Yale and Harvard have both delayed their deadlines?

I'm applying to Yale, Harvard, and Vandy in their M.A.R programs and at UGA and Georgia in their M.A. programs.

Also, does anyone think it is weird that Yale and Harvard have both delayed their deadlines?

I did not know that. Do you know if the deadline change is for all religion graduate degrees or the M.A.? (I've already applied, but I'm curious.)

I called Boston University, and they said they will send out decisions around the 1st week of March.

Emory said they make decisions within two weeks of receiving an application, and since the priority

deadline for the MDiv is Jan. 15, I'm guessing people will start hearing back (on OPUS) within two

weeks?

Yeah, I definitely thought it was odd when Harvard did it, considering they had a tough deadline (11th).

I called Boston University, and they said they will send out decisions around the 1st week of March.

Emory said they make decisions within two weeks of receiving an application, and since the priority

deadline for the MDiv is Jan. 15, I'm guessing people will start hearing back (on OPUS) within two

weeks?

Wow, Emory is very prompt. That's kind of exciting then.

Yeah, I definitely thought it was odd when Harvard did it, considering they had a tough deadline (11th).

Wow, Emory is very prompt. That's kind of exciting then.

Emory is prompt! However, I found that information on the website. I'm sure the awful weather in Atlanta (Emory has been closed three days this week) will probably make the processing time a few days longer.

I applied to Marquette, Baylor, Wheaton, Loyola Chicago, and U. Dayton for a Ph.D. in Christian theology.

So far I have heard very little, though I have student contacts at four of the five schools who I am checking up with regularly.

Shortly after applying to one of the schools I received a really nice personal email from its Dean of Graduate studies telling me that the graduate department of theology would get my application soon, but that he wanted to let me know of a number of reasons why this particular school "was a choice worthy of my careful consideration." I count that as an encouraging sign.

Hope you are all surviving the inclement weather well. Its par for the course here in rural Illinois.

We haven't really had any inclement weather. I mean, I think it got into the 40's at night this week, but it's the usual winter other than that.

As for HDS and Yale delays, my guess is that it's because of the widespread snow issues. Harvard is closed today because of weather, and Yale is in blizzard conditions. If they don't move the deadlines, they'll a lot of delayed documents because of postal delays from the weather.

For HDS, not all the MA level programs were delayed, just two of them, the MTS and the theology one, I think.

Got a *very* early acceptance e-mail from UBC today for a PhD in Classical and Religious Studies. I'm kind of excited, because it means I can breathe easy. It's sort of strange, though, since some of the other Canadian schools haven't even had their deadline come up yet (which is Jan 15 for McGill and McMaster). No substantial word on funding, though the letter did mention that there would be some available.

Good luck to everyone this year! I know I've been on edge since sending my apps in in December.

Was that personal email from Baylor?

I applied to Marquette, Baylor, Wheaton, Loyola Chicago, and U. Dayton for a Ph.D. in Christian theology.

So far I have heard very little, though I have student contacts at four of the five schools who I am checking up with regularly.

Shortly after applying to one of the schools I received a really nice personal email from its Dean of Graduate studies telling me that the graduate department of theology would get my application soon, but that he wanted to let me know of a number of reasons why this particular school "was a choice worthy of my careful consideration." I count that as an encouraging sign.

Hope you are all surviving the inclement weather well. Its par for the course here in rural Illinois.

i lived in wheaton until i went to college -- great school, lovely area. i love the stupe (or was it stoop?). so, to apply to the phd program at Wheaton, you have to have a master's first. what did you do for your master's?

i lived in wheaton until i went to college -- great school, lovely area. i love the stupe (or was it stoop?). so, to apply to the phd program at Wheaton, you have to have a master's first. what did you do for your master's?

I'm finishing an M. Div. (with thesis) in Contemporary Christian Theology from Lincoln Christian Seminary.

Thanks! It's nice to know that I have somehwere to go. I might actually go to UBC, since it's my second pick. It's ranked second in Canada after U of T by most rankings, which is pretty good, but the joint Classics/Religion thing is kinda newish, so... tough decision. I'm definitely going to wait til I hear back from the other Canadian schools though.

Anyone else apply to Canadian schools? It seems like most Americans tend to stay south of the border, but we've had the odd one or two up here at U of T, which is where I am currently.