2011 Theology Application Results!!!

new mexico

Only word so far: interview at Emory.

Waiting on Duke and Notre Dame.

Excellent. I'll see you at Emory.

I see from the "results" postings that someone has heard something from Duke...they've been shortlisted, at any rate. I wonder what field they're in.

I don't have much hope for Duke, but I do wish ND would hurry up.

Edited by Diogenes42

Excellent. I'll see you at Emory.

I see from the "results" postings that someone has heard something from Duke...they've been shortlisted, at any rate. I wonder what field they're in.

I don't have much hope for Duke, but I do wish ND would hurry up.

I don't really trust that Duke post (someone here want to contradict me?). Way too early--based on previous years' notification times, I doubt they'd be earlier this year, especially with all the snow. "Religious studies"--not what it's called at Duke. And what does "shortlisted" mean--invited for an interview or shortlisted for an interview? It just doesn't fit. I'd expect a couple more weeks.

As for ND, have you seen last year's spring calendar? (http://theology.nd.e...ingCalendar.pdf). I can't find this year's. But last year, review of PhD applications began Jan 21, with area admission meetings from Jan 28- Feb 3. CJA was last, on Feb 3. So I think there's a least a couple of weeks to go.

I don't really trust that Duke post (someone here want to contradict me?). Way too early--based on previous years' notification times, I doubt they'd be earlier this year, especially with all the snow. "Religious studies"--not what it's called at Duke. And what does "shortlisted" mean--invited for an interview or shortlisted for an interview? It just doesn't fit. I'd expect a couple more weeks.

As for ND, have you seen last year's spring calendar? (http://theology.nd.e...ingCalendar.pdf). I can't find this year's. But last year, review of PhD applications began Jan 21, with area admission meetings from Jan 28- Feb 3. CJA was last, on Feb 3. So I think there's a least a couple of weeks to go.

Good points! I can see you're thinking far more critically about this process than I am!

I hunted around on ND's website for a while but then I realized the last year's calendar wasn't finalized until 1/25...so we may have a few days to go before we get a look at their schedule. After peeking at last year's posts on the "results" board, it looks like the CJA folks started scheduling interviews on Feb 4, so at least we know that they start making calls as soon as they've left the meeting.

Edited by Diogenes42

Someone posted a Baylor interview notice in the results? Care to share details, mystery person?

Oh, did not mean to be mysterious. I received an email yesterday evening for the Preview Weekend (11-13th). Best of luck to all other applicants.

Oh, did not mean to be mysterious. I received an email yesterday evening for the Preview Weekend (11-13th). Best of luck to all other applicants.

Any word on how many they have notified/will notify? I know you applied for NT and wondered if they were staggering invitations with the other programs(as I think has happened in the past). I sent you a PM as well.

Grace and peace,

Joe

Ah, the waiting game...

I'm checking this website too often.

Although I did not apply to Wheaton, did anyone get an invite on the 20th?

Still waiting on Emory and BU.

Wheaton invites will likely go out Monday afternoon/evening.

Grace and peace,

Joe

Any word on how many they have notified/will notify? I know you applied for NT and wondered if they were staggering invitations with the other programs(as I think has happened in the past). I sent you a PM as well.

Grace and peace,

Joe

Hey Joe,

I got brave and called them. They already sent out all of their invitations. I did not receive one.

Edit: Baylor. I called Baylor.

Edited by ydg23

Hey,

Sorry, but what does this mean if you did and (especially) if you did not receive one?

Hey Joe,

I got brave and called them. They already sent out all of their invitations. I did not receive one.

Edit: Baylor. I called Baylor.

Hey,

Sorry, but what does this mean if you did and (especially) if you did not receive one?

Hi, Ryan.

This is my first time through the process, but I get the impression that the interviews are the "first cut" of the admission process. So if you did not receive one, I think that means you probably will not be admitted there. On the other hand, if you do receive an invitation that means you have survived the first round.

That's just my two cents, however. Good luck with everything.

Hi, Ryan.

This is my first time through the process, but I get the impression that the interviews are the "first cut" of the admission process. So if you did not receive one, I think that means you probably will not be admitted there. On the other hand, if you do receive an invitation that means you have survived the first round.

That's just my two cents, however. Good luck with everything.

Schools (generally) give interviews to the applicants they are seriously considering. So, don't think of it as a first cut. Sure it's the first cut that the applicant sees, but in reality it might be the 4th or 5th cut. At least that's what I'm going to let myself believe. Although, the above is correct about not receiving the invitation to an interview as signaling that you will likely not be admitted to that program.

Schools (generally) give interviews to the applicants they are seriously considering. So, don't think of it as a first cut. Sure it's the first cut that the applicant sees, but in reality it might be the 4th or 5th cut. At least that's what I'm going to let myself believe. Although, the above is correct about not receiving the invitation to an interview as signaling that you will likely not be admitted to that program.

Thanks! Do you think an email to them asking for a straight-rejection would be inappropriate? I only ask because my wife is applying for jobs in the various cities I'm applying to, and it would save us some time and money to know a "no" right now.

Is Baylor unique in doing these interviews?

Thanks! Do you think an email to them asking for a straight-rejection would be inappropriate? I only ask because my wife is applying for jobs in the various cities I'm applying to, and it would save us some time and money to know a "no" right now.

Is Baylor unique in doing these interviews?

First, thanks for the info, Liberation. I'm just learning as I go along.

Ryan, I think several Religion departments do such interviews (Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt, etc). I can't speak for all schools,but it seems rather common. Anyone with more knowledge feel free to chime in.

And, yes, I agree it is weird that people don't just go ahead and reject you if you don't make the 1/2/3,etc cut. I like Duke's model--it seems like they actually send out most of the rejections first so people can move on with their lives.

First short intro from me. I am international applicant to several programs in Religion (Emory, Texas at Austin, Rice, UPenn, UFlorida), philosophy (University of Missouri at Columbia, University of New Mexico, JHU) and South Asian Studies (UChicago). BA in philosophy, gpa 4.0; MA in philosophy of religion, gpa 4.0, gre verbal 610, quant 710, aw 4 (the last hurts); IELTS 8. One publication in a prestigious journal. Broad interests: Indian philosophy and religion; specific interest: Vedanta.

My question: Does anyone know if international applicants receive invitations to the Emory interviews? I've seen that invitations have been sent and I have not received one. Should I assume I am out?

baylor sends out invitations for the top 20 of their potential candidate list. they will offer ~10 of those people spots (2-3 per discipline - theology/history/NT/OT). if any turn it down, they will proceed through the rest of the top 20 (unless an interview went terribly bad) according to the specific department needs. Anyone not in the top 20 but still considered for a spot is technically on the wait list. the wait list letters will not go out until after the interview weekend. in the last few years there have typically been a few students each year who were not invited to the interview weekend and were still offered a spot.

best of luck.

Hey guys! Just wanted to put in my 2 cents and wish you all luck

I'm a senior at a big state school applying into Harvard's MTS for comparative religious law. I interviewed there in November, and I think (hope) that things went very well!

I talked to some of the people in the admissions office, and they told me that there are no 'shortcut' ways of finding out-they email you the second week of March, and that is that.

My stats are:

3.9 GPA, 3.85 in major

6.0 AWA, 800 v 700q

1 publication

3 conferences

6 languages

strong recommendations

(hopefully) strong SOPs

interest in a field that HDS is trying to expand

I wish us all the best of luck, and I hope to see some of you next year at HDS