Not getting an interview means rejected?

Quite a few folks posted that they have received an interview request from a couple of my DREAM schools and I did not get any. Does it mean that I'll be rejected as I dont even get any interview from them?. Do they hold a single round of interview or more?

This is madness... I think I should stop checking the "survey portion" of the gradcafe.. Im going manic......

pweassee i just need one school to accept me :|

I would try to keep a positive outlook. Earlier this week I saw someone post an interview for my top choice and I freaked out and assumed it meant rejection for me. I tried to calm down and tell myself that I have no idea how the committee is going about the selection process, and they could be doing the interviews in rounds. Yesterday I got an email to set up an interview! Just because you see results, doesn't necessarily mean it's over for your application. It's only speculation, and honestly, going through a second round of apps with grad cafe, sometimes I think the results section causes me more stress than if I never looked at it...but I still look. Can't help it I guess:)

Anyway, keep thinking positive and try to focus on all the great things about your application. I think it helps during this crazy waiting game. Good luck!

Due to meager funding over the past few years, I think a lot of schools are interviewing less applicants, even if they have the same amount of spots open. That is, they have 3 spots open, invite 4 to interview (the ones they would have accepted immediately) as confirmation that they aren't total messes in person. In the meantime, everyone else has to wait for those 4 show up drunk and smelly, or decide to go elsewhere.

Plus, it's still really early and POIs have varying levels urgency when it comes to sending out invites.

Many people get admits without getting interviewed at all. Even if they only intend to have one round of interviews, it is possible that they will still have spaces available after they admit people - not everyone who gets admitted will be coming, so they may have another round of admits later in the season. Also, it is entirely possible that they will have a wait list even later in the season, so there are still opportunities to get admitted, even if they only plan on having one round of interviews.

Many people get admits without getting interviewed at all. Even if they only intend to have one round of interviews, it is possible that they will still have spaces available after they admit people - not everyone who gets admitted will be coming, so they may have another round of admits later in the season. Also, it is entirely possible that they will have a wait list even later in the season, so there are still opportunities to get admitted, even if they only plan on having one round of interviews.

I've always wondered about this. I know every school is different but is it possible that some schools will automatically send an acceptance letter to some applicants but for others they need to "pass" the interview before they become accepted? Those who get the interview request are good but not as good as the strait admits?

I've always wondered about this. I know every school is different but is it possible that some schools will automatically send an acceptance letter to some applicants but for others they need to "pass" the interview before they become accepted? Those who get the interview request are good but not as good as the strait admits?

I don't think that it's necessarily a question of one applicant being better than another. I think it may have to do with the admissions committees having questions about the persons they want to interview. I'm guessing that if they get an applicant they like with strong recommendations from well-known profs then they would probably just take them without an interview, but if there are things that they are not clear about in a SoP or if they are not familiar with the LoR writers then they may want to talk with the applicant. That's just my guess though.

Some of my schools, such as University of Florida (Anthro), they make their decision by the end of this month and they don't indicate anywhere that they take interviews.

Also many places take interviews by phone or webcam, so they don't have to spend money on travel; Penn State offered me a webcam interview.

Quite a few folks posted that they have received an interview request from a couple of my DREAM schools and I did not get any. Does it mean that I'll be rejected as I dont even get any interview from them?. Do they hold a single round of interview or more?

This is madness... I think I should stop checking the "survey portion" of the gradcafe.. Im going manic......

pweassee i just need one school to accept me :|

Keep positive. I am the same with you.....I also applied the computer science phd program and yet not recived even one interview. But I believe everything will be better.

Maybe you can contact with them....Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

It turned out that they were not done sending interview requests yet, as I just got mine this morning.... YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

The moral of the story is: Do not loose hope until you get that rejection letter ... yayyyy!

Congrats! Good luck with the interview!