Could this ruin my chances for gradschool?

Up North

I didn’t hand in a major 25% worth assignment to my prof last semester (Ended in 24 Dec 2010). My final grade was in the high 50s. I emailed him on the 21st saying I submitted it at the department of Politics when I didn’t. He said on the 22nd in another email, he said he didn’t know where it was and to submit a digital copy via email.

It’s the first day of the second semester and I’m thinking of handing it in. I want to tell him I honestly didn’t check my email and only figured that something was up when I checked my grade.

Another Politics prof told me that up to mid Jan, grades can be changed which I happen in the class I was taking with her but I handed the assignment during the holidays.

I really don’t want to be infamous in the Politics department since this is my major in undergrad.

Any advice or thoughts? What should I say in my email? :unsure:

Thank you!

Edited by Up North

I'm a bit confused.... Can you clarify a few points?

A ) When did you finish the paper?

B ) Did you really not check your e-mail until now?

Because as I see it, you didn't finish an assignment... Then lied about turning it in to buy yourself some extra time...

If you honestly did not receive his e-mail until now, then tell him that. Otherwise, don't make the situation worse by the possibility of academic dishonesty charges.

Edited by Eigen

I'll echo that grades can be changed quite late at most schools... But after the semester in question, it's not just a matter of a prof changing grades, and often has to go through at least some level of administrative review... ie, have a very good reason for being changed.

Edited by Eigen

If you email him then you're doomed. No professor will believe that you went 2+ weeks without checking your email. You need to go to his office, be honest with him, and pray that he takes the paper. Rule number one is always be honest with your professors because if you plan to go to grad school they will become your colleagues and you don't want your colleagues thinking that you're a cheater.

I agree with C d M that you have to be honest and that you have to talk to your prof in person. Most people do stupid things during their lifetime especially when we are young(er) so if you are humble enough you may be able to clear your reputation.However, I would just accept the failing mark on this one because clearly it would not be fair with your classmates that you took all that time to finish your paper, and also you were dishonest.

Edited by kalapocska

Thank you all for responding. I'm about to put your words into action! smile.gif

I'll echo that grades can be changed quite late at most schools... But after the semester in question, it's not just a matter of a prof changing grades, and often has to go through at least some level of administrative review... ie, have a very good reason for being changed.

Here are the options for a grade change for my situation:

p5eNQ.jpg

I think that this is the most logical choice for my prof since tomorrow is the 4th day of classes.

Type of Consideration: Calculation Error or omission

Consideration Granted By: Instructor

Period of Consideration: 10 class days of the following semester

Subsequent Appeal To: No appeal

I agree with C d M that you have to be honest and that you have to talk to your prof in person. Most people do stupid things during their lifetime especially when we are young(er) so if you are humble enough you may be able to clear your reputation.However, I would just accept the failing mark on this one because clearly it would not be fair with your classmates that you took all that time to finish your paper, and also you were dishonest.

I'll email him to ask if I can discuss my grade and essay from last semester during his office hours unless everything is already settled.

I'm going to be honest either way. My goal is that if he accepts a meeting that he would take the paper and give me at least partial credit for it.

Any more talking points?

Thanks again since this may be the brightest and understanding forum on the net smile.gif

I really don't want to judge because I don't know you or your situation, but quite frankly, I smell the kind of bullshit that used to make me go ARGGGHHHHH when I was a TA. Did you knowingly lie when you said you submitted it? Why didn't you check your e-mail? Why didn't you get the assignment done in the first place? It's your responsibility, not the professor's.

I understand sometimes not being able to get papers in right on time, but at this point, your paper should already be late enough as to be worth nothing. At least on the occasions in which I had to deal with late papers, there was some kind of reason or excuse. You say that "I want to tell him I honestly didn’t check my email and only figured that something was up when I checked my grade" but that really isn't the truth, since obviously you knew that you didn't submit the paper. The grade appeal process is supposed to be for circumstances in which there was actual emergency, error, or substantive disagreement about grades. Again, I'm sorry if I'm sounding too critical here, but this really irks me. I hate people trying to game the system.

Edit: Ok, I didn't read your last post before posting my comments originally. It's laudable that you say you're going to discuss this with the prof honestly. I hope you get some resolution, though I still maintain what I say above.

Edited by wtncffts

If I'm understanding correctly, you failed to do your work and had no good excuse. Then you lied about doing it. Now you're hoping to ask for forgiveness because you're being "honest."

I knew someone like you who made it to a prestigious grad school pulling stunts like that, but this person dropped out after second year because it became apparent to the entire department (students and faculty) what this person was up to. I hope you pursue a less demanding career, both for your sake and for that of the classmates and faculty who would otherwise have to put up with you and eventually make the painful decision to kick you out of a program you can't handle.

And you want to get into graduate school?

You mean to tell me in the year 2011 where everyone obsessively checks their emails and you check thegradcafe.com X times a day, that you didn't check your email? I do not believe you. There is some flawed logic present that makes me not believe you.

Second, it is your responsibility to complete the assignment. So lets rewind- you told the professor you sent the assignment in, even though you know you actually did not? That is lying and foolish, it is the type of thing that wont get you far in graduate school.

I have to put up with this sort of dishonesty all the time from my undergrad students. No sympathy from my end. If this is the attitude you've got about studying, then I doubt grad school is a good place for you.