Computer Science Fall 2011 Admits

newms

Any one knows about results in: UCDavis, RUTGERS, UFL ?

I have applied for theory ... Is this area the most competitive one? Maybe I just have to wait for rejections ... ?

I'm not sure about the other 2 but Rutgers has their admissions meeting on Feb 28: https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rutgers.cs@gmail.com&gsessionid=OK I'm guessing results would go out some time after that.

Any one knows about results in: UCDavis, RUTGERS, UFL ?

I have applied for theory ... Is this area the most competitive one? Maybe I just have to wait for rejections ... ?

I was accepted to UC davis (with complex networks listed my top interest choice). They notified me Feb. 1. They said that decisions will be finalized and able to be checked online after Feb. 22. Their visit day is March 5. They aren't making funding decisions until after the visit day.

I dont think theory is any more competitive than other areas (except maybe at biased schools like Princeton), but as with anything, its about qualifications and fit with the program.

It does seem like schools send out rejects after admits, but I'm not sure why, or if there are implicit waiting lists, or if they just dont care about telling rejected people sooner, etc. It probably depends school to school as well.

Best of luck!

Congratulations to all who heard from the universities.

I have not applied to BIG schools. I have been accepted in two universities. LSU and UIC - Chicago for PhD program.

Still waiting for UCLA, UCSB, UMASS - Amherst, UC - Boulder and Univ of Minnesota - Twin Cities.

Tense times!

I hope to get in to at least two other schools in the remaining list.

I got a no today. But it was delivered in person and then time was blocked out to work on my future plans.

If you get into Georgia Tech there is one professor with a lot of class. I hope you get a chance to do some research in that lab.

biggrin.gif

Sorry to hear that Old Man & the C(S). Hope it will work better next year (you're re-applying next year, arent you?)

I got a no today. But it was delivered in person and then time was blocked out to work on my future plans.

If you get into Georgia Tech there is one professor with a lot of class. I hope you get a chance to do some research in that lab.

biggrin.gif

Would you please tell me which professor you are indicating to? I have been interviewed by Georgia Tech and was informally told about my admission there, although I have not received any official notification from them.

Would you please tell me which professor you are indicating to? I have been interviewed by Georgia Tech and was informally told about my admission there, although I have not received any official notification from them.

There are plenty of awesome professors here. But since he's talking about HCI, most probably he was referring to Gregory Abowd. A really famous and overall great guy.

I was accepted to UC davis (with complex networks listed my top interest choice). They notified me Feb. 1. They said that decisions will be finalized and able to be checked online after Feb. 22. Their visit day is March 5. They aren't making funding decisions until after the visit day.

I dont think theory is any more competitive than other areas (except maybe at biased schools like Princeton), but as with anything, its about qualifications and fit with the program.

It does seem like schools send out rejects after admits, but I'm not sure why, or if there are implicit waiting lists, or if they just dont care about telling rejected people sooner, etc. It probably depends school to school as well.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your answer. Now I am really worried since in embark system (for UCDAVIS), under "Track your status" all fields say: "No current status. Please check back later" like if I didn't send any documentation! I can't understand. I have sent an email and they didn't answer me. I am worried and angry since I put a lot of effort for each university and it seems they just ignore all stuff I did to complete my application. I really don't understand.

Thanks again for your answer, it was very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

so for UChicago CS, a few admits were submitted on GradCafe earlier in Feb, and it looks like a bunch of rejections were made last week. Any idea if you haven't heard from either camp yet means you're on a waitlist?

Wonder if contacting them would be okay, or just to wait?

Anyone else in a similar situation either at UChicago or another school?

Thanks!

Okay, I'm pretty sure that I've finished getting acceptances now, so here's my results (for PhD Fall '11):

Accepted: Carnegie Mellon (HCI), Georgia Tech (HCC), Maryland- College Park (CS)

Rejected: Stanford (CS), Cornell (IS)

Pending (and probably rejected): Harvard (CS), Northwestern (Technology and Social Behavior)

I'm ridiculously torn between CMU and Georgia Tech... will probably have to make a spreadsheet and talk my friends' ears off for the next month or so.

I'm ridiculously torn between CMU and Georgia Tech... will probably have to make a spreadsheet and talk my friends' ears off for the next month or so.

congrats! thats a great dilemma to be in :)

Okay, I'm pretty sure that I've finished getting acceptances now, so here's my results (for PhD Fall '11):

Accepted: Carnegie Mellon (HCI), Georgia Tech (HCC), Maryland- College Park (CS)

Rejected: Stanford (CS), Cornell (IS)

Pending (and probably rejected): Harvard (CS), Northwestern (Technology and Social Behavior)

Ah, so you are one of the twelve other people in that e-mail sent out for CMU HCI ;) I'll probably be meeting you in a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to decide right now between UMass Amherst PhD and UNC Chapel Hill PhD. About the same level of funding (assistantship), and they both look ridiculously awesome. I have no idea how I'm going to decide!

Trying to decide right now between UMass Amherst PhD and UNC Chapel Hill PhD. About the same level of funding (assistantship), and they both look ridiculously awesome. I have no idea how I'm going to decide!

Are you sure with throwing away other universities? You now, there is a very big difference between top-10 and other universities. But the difference between top-20 (that are outside of top-10) and even top-40 is very very slight. Moreover since all the rankings are quite subjective, it can be so that low-ranked university can be better than high-ranked.

Are you sure with throwing away other universities? You now, there is a very big difference between top-10 and other universities. But the difference between top-20 (that are outside of top-10) and even top-40 is very very slight. Moreover since all the rankings are quite subjective, it can be so that low-ranked university can be better than high-ranked.

I'm not throwing away other universities without thought...I've looked at the programs at Emory and Case Western and decided against them, I've visited Ohio State and have very seriously considered it (it's still on my radar), and I'm visiting Pitt on Friday. However, I was really impressed by my visits to both UMass and UNC, and they both seem like great fits for me. Official grad school ranking is playing very little into my actual decision.

I'm not throwing away other universities without thought...I've looked at the programs at Emory and Case Western and decided against them, I've visited Ohio State and have very seriously considered it (it's still on my radar), and I'm visiting Pitt on Friday. However, I was really impressed by my visits to both UMass and UNC, and they both seem like great fits for me. Official grad school ranking is playing very little into my actual decision.

Just thought i should throw in my own 2 cents, umass and unc ch are anyday leagues ahead of emory case western, ohio and pitt in comp sci. check the microsoft academic search if you want and you won't see those places even figure on the radar whereas unc is very high up for cg and cs in general.

Just thought i should throw in my own 2 cents, umass and unc ch are anyday leagues ahead of emory case western, ohio and pitt in comp sci. check the microsoft academic search if you want and you won't see those places even figure on the radar whereas unc is very high up for cg and cs in general.

I disagree with it. I've just measured average h-index and g-index of 15 random faculty members (for publications since 2000). For OSU it was higher than in UNC case (by around 25 percents).

BTW I've just checked more carefully this Microsoft research site and I can say that it's ridiculous. In security research area Catholic University of Leuven that even doesn't have such research field listed on their site, shares the same place with UCSB that has one of the strongest labs with dozens of publications each year on top-notch conferences.

You have to select the last 5 years. Otherwise it counts all the papers they published since the invention of computer science (if not even before that officially became CS)

You have to select the last 5 years. Otherwise it counts all the papers they published since the invention of computer science (if not even before that officially became CS)

Previously I've selected 10 years. But within 5 year period this Catholic University beats UCSB, that's really funny :D This site has lots of bugs as any Microsoft product. I trust only to Google scholar.

Edited by edvolkov