Computer Science Fall 2011 Admits

newms

Do we think that CMU has sent out all their CS acceptances already?

If CMU follows last year's pattern, then acceptances should trickle in over the next few days. Of course, that effect may be due to people reporting incorrect acceptance dates.

For myself, I'm giving it a few more days before concluding anything one way or the other.

Edited by Azazel

If CMU follows last year's pattern, then acceptances should trickle in over the next few days. Of course, that effect may be due to people reporting incorrect acceptance dates.

For myself, I'm giving it a few more days before concluding anything one way or the other.

Yeah, I hope that's right. It seems like they know who they're accepting...I'm not sure what could take long to notify people though, finding funding for them?

Thanks, I was about to ask about the pattern. I couldn't imagine that they would call everybody in one day. I'll keep my phone charged and on standby!

Thanks, I was about to ask about the pattern. I couldn't imagine that they would call everybody in one day. I'll keep my phone charged and on standby!

I'm getting more and more convinced they've sent all of their notifications; let's hope not

am I the only one here who has applied to the Software Engineering track for Fall 2011 to PhD CS at CMU? :)

I have observed from the previous years' surveys that CMU PHD Software Engineering's only Rejection results have been posted, that were sent around late Feb. Is the acceptance rate too low for SE (which I guess is a part of - the admissions procedure i.e. - the CS department) at CMU?

I understand that people who got in must have been too happy to bother posting results but anyway I cannot conclusively say anything. So, guys and gals, any views on this? Also if anyone has any other related info please do post.

Any info about when Cornell releasing results?

There was one Cornell acceptance reported last year on Feb 4, then a lot of results on Feb 8 and Feb 9. So I'm guessing you'll see a similar timeline this year.

Edited by newms

Last year I got a personal email informing me of my CMU acceptance, but the official notification didn't go out until a week later. So don't get discouraged just because some people have gotten some initial feedback. Also, the different departments all give decisions at pretty different times.

Last year I got a personal email informing me of my CMU acceptance, but the official notification didn't go out until a week later. So don't get discouraged just because some people have gotten some initial feedback. Also, the different departments all give decisions at pretty different times.

Hmm. That's interesting. So the people who have heard so far may have received "early" notice from obliging professors. But most of the admits should have at least one such professor interested in working with them (one would think?)

Given that no new admissions were received (or at least, reported) today, I'm guessing at rejections for those of us who haven't yet heard (for general CS). I'd happily be proved wrong, however...

Edited by Azazel

Hmm. That's interesting. So the people who have heard so far may have received "early" notice from obliging professors. But most of the admits should have at least one such professor interested in working with them (one would think?)

Given that no new admissions were received (or at least, reported) today, I'm guessing at rejections for those of us who haven't yet heard (for general CS). I'd happily be proved wrong, however...

My professor of choice is on sabbatical this year, so I will opt for retaining a modicum of hope :)

My professor of choice is on sabbatical this year, so I will opt for retaining a modicum of hope :)

Seems a reasonable strategy. And professors, after all, are very busy people...

It would be helpful to know whether anyone who was admitted last year heard first from the official notification.

Also, I'll mention for general interest that UW Seattle should be releasing their decisions later this week (someone just posted so in the results section).

Perhaps I can move on to worrying over that, instead.

Edited by Azazel

Also, I'll mention for general interest that UW Seattle should be releasing their decisions later this week (someone just posted so in the results section).

Perhaps I can move on to worrying over that, instead.

It says: "Phone call from Prof today. Said it would be announced via email later this week." and the stutus shown is Accepted. So would this mean that people have been informed via phone already and this would be made official the next week. I haven't heard anything ye. Those who do not hear anything till then (by phone ) are probably not in?

I was not the person who posted in the results section, but I received a phone call from UW at a similar time (last Friday) also telling me I was accepted. However, they told me that they had made an *early* decision about me. Then, they told me they hoped to get me the official details by next week. However, to me, it sounded like they had not even made all their decisions (or even most of them), so I don't think they will be giving everyone their official details this week - I would assume it will just be for the people they called (which is, I believe, a small subset of the people they will eventually accept).

As for CMU, I believe they called or tried to call many of the people who were accepted (I missed a call from a number, which I later looked up to be the cell phone of the CSD head). Then, I think, I received an email (from the CSD head) with the official details, including an attached pdf of an official letter of acceptance. I did also receive an email from my faculty contact after that. Unfortunately, I'm guessing this all means that the CMU results are, in fact, official, unlike the UW results, which seem to be an "early" wave.

Just my thoughts.

That's what I was thinking, re: CMU. I don't know if the MLD decisions have been sent or not though. Did anyone get anything mentioning MLD specifically or did anyone hear back who had MLD as first preference?

Edited by barber5

I got an email from CMU asking if I would like to have my application forwarded to the ECE department (for free and with no extra paperwork). I guess that can be taken as a rejection from CS. Oh well...win some, lose some.

Yeah, I got same reply. I think it means a rejection from CS!! BTW, if I may ask, what area of interest did you say in your SOP? ... like AI/ Graphics/ OS/ Networks ???

Edited by KORN

Hi,

I've got my CMU admit (got a call last weekend) and a mail from Berkeley that

I am on their short list and that they want to chat before making admission decisions.

Wish Princeton and MIT would get back just as quickly.

Cheers,

B.