Computer Science Fall 2011 Admits

newms

Now that the first Computer Science Fall 2011 admit has been added to the GradCafe's survey (Congrats to whoever got into UIUC today!) I thought it would be good to have a thread where we can help each other decide which would be a good place to go to (fingers crossed that we get multiple admits).

I'm presently an undergrad at UIUC and had gotten an early admit notice from them back in September but today I received official notification along with funding information. Full tuition and partial fee waiver + insurance + 25k stipend + 5k CS Excellence Fellowship for a year

I'm working in data mining and specifically information/social networks. I've also applied to CMU, Stanford, MIT's media lab, Cornell, and Penn

Stats: 4.0 / 800Q / 640V / 5.5 A / Couple of years research 1 journal publication, 2 conference publications under review, and 1 conference demo in prep -- all as coauthors

Edited by barber5

Stats: 4.0 / 800Q / 640V / 5.5 A / Couple of years research 1 journal publication, 2 conference publications under review, and 1 conference demo in prep -- all as coauthors

Is the first number in your stat your UG GPA? You got a perfect 4.0 in CS from UIUC???!! Arghhhhhhhh... you are supposed to screw up your freshman yearrrrrr!! What happened to that???

argghghghghghhgh!%%$$!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm just jealous XD. Congrats!!!

shashakoe, it might not last this final semester: this will be the semester of taking classes I didn't want to take and have put off.

scyrus, congrats. From your signature it looks like you're in HCI? Which groups did you apply to at the Media Lab?

newms, No word yet on anything like visiting.

scyrus, congrats. From your signature it looks like you're in HCI? Which groups did you apply to at the Media Lab?

Congrats yourself. Yes, I'm in HCI, (with some security and AI collaborative interests). I applied to Fluid Interfaces, Human Dynamics and Information Ecology. You?

Edited by scyrus

Congrats yourself. Yes, I'm in HCI, (with some security and AI collaborative interests). I applied to Fluid Interfaces, Human Dynamics and Information Ecology. You?

Human Dynamics is my first choice by a long shot, but also Macro Connections and Object-based Media

I have applied to UIUC computer science PhD program as well and haven't heard a word from them. I see many admits on grad cafe results survey. Does that mean that I am rejected? I hope not.

I don't imagine they are completely done sending admits, but I suppose it is possible

On the other hand, I did get an email today talking about the visit day, which is February 24-26th.

I have applied to UIUC computer science PhD program as well and haven't heard a word from them. I see many admits on grad cafe results survey. Does that mean that I am rejected? I hope not.

I doubt it that this automatically means you're rejected. Check out the survey results on this page for UIUC CS - they gave out some admits in February last year, and since they were remarkably consistent this year with the first wave of acceptances (sent Jan 12 last year and Jan 11 this year), I'm guessing that they will have admits to give out in February of this year as well.

i got into upenn's MCIS program. i'm interested in machine learning. anyone have any opinions/insight about their program?

unfortunately upenn is pretty expensive, and they (as most CS masters programs :() don't provide departmental aid

i got into upenn's MCIS program. i'm interested in machine learning. anyone have any opinions/insight about their program?

unfortunately upenn is pretty expensive, and they (as most CS masters programs :() don't provide departmental aid

Congrats, I haven't heard anything back from Penn about the PhD program yet, but as far as I know they've only informed a couple of master's applicants.

All I can say specifically about machine learning at Penn is that Michael Kearns is there and he's a very big name in machine learning. They are also especially well regarded for what they do with Natural Language Processing if that is an area that interests you. I'm sure there's much more to it than that, but that's what I know about the department.

Congrats, I haven't heard anything back from Penn about the PhD program yet, but as far as I know they've only informed a couple of master's applicants.

All I can say specifically about machine learning at Penn is that Michael Kearns is there and he's a very big name in machine learning. They are also especially well regarded for what they do with Natural Language Processing if that is an area that interests you. I'm sure there's much more to it than that, but that's what I know about the department.

thanks for the info, i'll definitely look into it some more. congrats on uiuc btw :)

how did that happen? are you a columbia undergrad/grad?

congrats btw.

Nope, I'm an undergrad at another school. I just applied normally, submitting my application on the due date (12/1). I was very surprised by their response time, but they do advertise that they have rolling admissions. I'm still waiting on responses from the 10 other schools I applied to though, haha.

Edited by Awexome

thanks for the info, i'll definitely look into it some more. congrats on uiuc btw :)

Congrats on the admit! You might also want to look into Ben Tasker's research there as well.

Nope, I'm an undergrad at another school. I just applied normally, submitting my application on the due date (12/1). I was very surprised by their response time, but they do advertise that they have rolling admissions. I'm still waiting on responses from the 10 other schools I applied to though, haha.

Did they say when the visit weekend is?

well we can be somewhat positive and say they made their decisions regarding some of fields and another meeting will be held for the rest :D (maybe two-same-batch HCI people isn't a coincidence :P ).

this will also mean that if any systems guy was accepted, I'm officially rejected :(

Hey guys, has anybody received e-mails from professors, which were listed in SOP?

I've talked to some people I was already in contact with before the admissions process, but I have not gotten any new emails form SOP people or emails from people I had talked to specifically referring to admissions.