Computer Science Fall 2011 Admits

newms

I too got admitted to CMU - I never got a call, but received the admit email on 24th. I think they have taken all decisions for CSD (http://www.csd.cs.cmu.edu) because I heard from an insider that there is only one round of admission. The open house is on February 25 and 26.

@Lanchka, congrats on being shortlisted by Berkeley! Do you know if they have shortlisted all potential candidates? This probably means I'm getting a reject :-(

Edited by pandy

I too got admitted to CMU - I never got a call, but received the admit email on 24th. I think they have taken all decisions for CSD (www.csd.cs.cmu.edu) because I heard from an insider that there is only one round of admission. The open house is on February 25 and 26.

Lanchka, congrats on being shortlisted by Berkeley! Do you know if they have shortlisted all potential candidates? This probably means I'm getting a reject :-(

From the conversation I had with someone at Berkeley, it seems clear that they do now have a "shortlist."

But I don't know whether they plan on calling/contacting everyone on that list before making the final decisions.

Edited by Azazel

I too got admitted to CMU - I never got a call, but received the admit email on 24th. I think they have taken all decisions for CSD (http://www.csd.cs.cmu.edu) because I heard from an insider that there is only one round of admission. The open house is on February 25 and 26.

@Lanchka, congrats on being shortlisted by Berkeley! Do you know if they have shortlisted all potential candidates? This probably means I'm getting a reject :-(

Thanks. I personally have no idea if they have shortlisted all potential

candidates. I just got a mail from a professor there saying that he would like

to talk before they made their final decisions. This could very well be

because of some of my interests and future plans (I might go study

math for a year at Cambridge before kicking off a PhD).

So don't sweat it. You might very well be on the shortlist and they might

not have had any reason to reach out to you :)

Edited by Lanchka

Hi,

I've got my CMU admit (got a call last weekend) and a mail from Berkeley that

I am on their short list and that they want to chat before making admission decisions.

Wish Princeton and MIT would get back just as quickly.

Cheers,

B.

Last year I got the Princeton acceptance e-mail Feb 15th. So you probably still have a little bit of waiting to do... :(

Thanks. I personally have no idea if they have shortlisted all potential

candidates. I just got a mail from a professor there saying that he would like

to talk before they made their final decisions. This could very well be

because of some of my interests and future plans (I might go study

math for a year at Cambridge before kicking off a PhD).

So don't sweat it. You might very well be on the shortlist and they might

not have had any reason to reach out to you :)

So he said getting an interview was a good sign? I was worried my phone interview meant I was borderline.

So he said getting an interview was a good sign? I was worried my phone interview meant I was borderline.

I worried about that as well, but I think an interview is a positive thing.

At least, people who should be "in the know" seemed to suggest it was positive when I asked them about it.

Edited by Azazel

am I the only one here who has applied to the Software Engineering track for Fall 2011 to PhD CS at CMU? :)

I have observed from the previous years' surveys that CMU PHD Software Engineering's only Rejection results have been posted, that were sent around late Feb. Is the acceptance rate too low for SE (which I guess is a part of - the admissions procedure i.e. - the CS department) at CMU?

I understand that people who got in must have been too happy to bother posting results but anyway I cannot conclusively say anything. So, guys and gals, any views on this? Also if anyone has any other related info please do post.

Anyone heard from CMU ISR for Phd in software engineering ?

He did not imply anything either ways, good or bad. I know a friend who got an

admit last year after such a call. Most people I've spoken to (my advisor included)

told me such calls are generally non-technical chats about your interests, future

plans, how keen you are about joining the university etc. (This is with respect to

theory, I dunno how it works with other specializations)

For instance, in the few minutes I spent speaking with him (he had a meeting or

something) he asked me when I expected my Cambridge results to come out,

what my research interests are etc. I am guessing that even when we do talk in

detail, it will be less of an interview and more of "touching base with me" as he

put it.

I think we're reading too much into all this. The admits will come when they're

nice and ready. Nit-picking about these things will only cause unnecessary

mental trauma :)

Edited by Lanchka

Anyone heard from CMU ISR for Phd in software engineering ?

I haven't as yet and I don't know if anyone has. Also I am confused whether SE results would be announced separately or is it all a part of the CS admit. Really getting worried now. What do you say?

i applied for the language technology institute's phd program (under scs) at cmu and got a personal email from the prof (i mentioned him in my sop) that i as admitted. the lti admissions committee just met for the first time yesterday, and they will be sending out official emails starting next week.

and where is my email from berkeley. =(

i applied for the language technology institute's phd program (under scs) at cmu and got a personal email from the prof (i mentioned him in my sop) that i as admitted. the lti admissions committee just met for the first time yesterday, and they will be sending out official emails starting next week.

and where is my email from berkeley. =(

Nice! I applied to the LTI as well, and got my admit on Monday. :) Are you going to the open house later in Feb? And FYI, if last year's grad cafe survey is any guideline, Berkeley seems to make the bulk of their decisions mid-Feb... so hopefully we're not getting the Silent Treatment Before Rejection.