English department assistantship

LongGone

Hi all,

I am considering applying to a TA or RA in English departments. How does the work really look like when you get the assistantship? I am an international student and the education system is different here. I suppose I have to have a very good command of English.

Is there anyone here who has experience in that kind of position?

Hi all,

I am considering applying to a TA or RA in English departments. How does the work really look like when you get the assistantship? I am an international student and the education system is different here. I suppose I have to have a very good command of English.

Is there anyone here who has experience in that kind of position?

I don't personally, but I have a friend who's been a TA for ( ?) 3 or 4 years, I think... Yes, he does have to teach the class completely on his own.

I think his first year or two he got stuck with freshman composition-type classes, but as he gains seniority he gets better classes, like American Lit (which is his specialty).

1. As the others have said, you'll most likely teach a comp class on your own - you're not so much a teaching "assistant" as an adjunct instructor (though you are much better paid than adjuncts). Perhaps you'll have a faculty member to report to - someone associated with the writing center and/or comp/rhet or similar - who serves as a mentor but who does not teach your classes. It's you and 20+ freshmen. Note that comp does not include literature at all. Often there's an overarching theme to the course, which gives context for the papers, but this is distinct from lit. Think large historical, ethical, philosophical issues - these provide the basis for many comp classes. But your school will tell you what they want you to teach, and how to teach it.

2. Schools that ask for more than one class a semester (one class/semester is often noted as a "1:1" schedule) are exploitative; avoid this if at all possible (I realize it might not be). A "2:1" or "1:2" (two classes in the fall semester and one in the spring or vice versa) schedule is far from ideal.

3. You may or may not be given training. Training could range from a few sessions before the start of the semester to the more enlightened approach of a semester or two of pedagogical training before you enter your first classroom. Hopefully you'll get more than a fistful of past syllabi and a book list, but don't be surprised if you don't.

4. Eventually, you may be able to move out of comp. This will vary between schools, however, so before making your final decision, talk with current grad students further down the line about what courses they can and do teach.

5. DO NOT GO TO AN ENGLISH PHD PROGRAM WITHOUT COMPLETE FUNDING - A TUITION WAIVER AND STIPEND. I add this with such emphasis because you say you're "considering applying to" TAships. Don't consider. Do it. Do yourself a favor. It does not affect your application either way, and many PhD applications automatically consider all applicants for TAships.

Edited by Chumlee

Thanks Chumlee for the information.

Actually I am applying to a MA program for 2011 Fall. Some of the schools I chose offer assistanships for MA students. I have the funding for MA ( Fulbright) but I am starting to think about PHD. I am a little bit anxious, because the idea that a foreign student should be teaching how to write in non-native language may seem a bit odd to some people.

1. As the others have said, you'll most likely teach a comp class on your own - you're not so much a teaching "assistant" as an adjunct instructor (though you are much better paid than adjuncts). Perhaps you'll have a faculty member to report to - someone associated with the writing center and/or comp/rhet or similar - who serves as a mentor but who does not teach your classes. It's you and 20+ freshmen. Note that comp does not include literature at all. Often there's an overarching theme to the course, which gives context for the papers, but this is distinct from lit. Think large historical, ethical, philosophical issues - these provide the basis for many comp classes. But your school will tell you what they want you to teach, and how to teach it.

2. Schools that ask for more than one class a semester (one class/semester is often noted as a "1:1" schedule) are exploitative; avoid this if at all possible (I realize it might not be). A "2:1" or "1:2" (two classes in the fall semester and one in the spring or vice versa) schedule is far from ideal.

3. You may or may not be given training. Training could range from a few sessions before the start of the semester to the more enlightened approach of a semester or two of pedagogical training before you enter your first classroom. Hopefully you'll get more than a fistful of past syllabi and a book list, but don't be surprised if you don't.

4. Eventually, you may be able to move out of comp. This will vary between schools, however, so before making your final decision, talk with current grad students further down the line about what courses they can and do teach.

5. DO NOT GO TO AN ENGLISH PHD PROGRAM WITHOUT COMPLETE FUNDING - A TUITION WAIVER AND STIPEND. I add this with such emphasis because you say you're "considering applying to" TAships. Don't consider. Do it. Do yourself a favor. It does not affect your application either way, and many PhD applications automatically consider all applicants for TAships.

Thanks Chumlee for the information.

Actually I am applying to a MA program for 2011 Fall. Some of the schools I chose offer assistanships for MA students. I have the funding for MA ( Fulbright) but I am starting to think about PHD. I am a little bit anxious, because the idea that a foreign student should be teaching how to write in non-native language may seem a bit odd to some people.

Not a problem! Congratulations on the Fulbright :)

A student in my MA program was from Poland, too, and s/he was a TA. S/he was intimidated, naturally enough, by the fact that s/he is not a native speaker. I imagine that perhaps some of the less pleasant students might try to give you a hard time (especially if you are young, and a woman - a situation which seems to make students feel and act as though you are lesser than.) However, keep in mind that you are an English major, that you know English language quite well (I would not have guessed, small sample though it is, from your posts that you are a nonnative speaker). You are more than qualified to teach them. Besides, your school would not appoint you to the position if you were unqualified - there are plenty of other excellent candidates - that at least is cold comfort in our field's awful job market.

TAing is a lot of work, which is why I suggest taking on only one class a semester. Whatever you do, don't let teaching get in the way of your classes.

Good luck :)

For my graduate assistantship, I teach one section of freshman comp. For us, it's pretty open, as long as I teach toward a set of core goals that the First Year Writing program has agreed upon. They claim that it should only take 20 hours per week, but I generally go far beyond that. Being in a position to see student writing excel in technical and cognitive areas over the course of 15 weeks is pretty amazing--assuming that the students are willing to work with you. I've had good luck, thus far, and hope that it stays that way. Good luck with your assistantship (if you choose to take it)!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi LongGone,

I was in an MFA program and received a GA my first year and a TA the second and third years. Applying for GA/RA/TAs are a good idea. They get you further into the field, give you experience working in the field, help you make connections with the students and professors in the department, and help you make connections for the future job market and/or PhD programs.

RAs generally help 1 or 2 professors with research, GAs generally do something for the entire department, but there are two kinds of TAs. The first kind of TA is an assistant in lecture courses (usually in literature/film). These aren't as "fun" because you are pretty much a grader, and the professor may give you one or two class periods in which you actually get to teach. It is a good place to start, however, if you don't have any teaching experience or if you don't want to teach composition.

The other type of TA is the one I had. You are responsible for teaching one section of first-year/basic composition, with between 20 and 30 students depending on the school. You have complete control of the classroom--you are the instructor. Some schools call these Graduate Student Instructorships since you are the instructor and answer to no one on a daily basis. You make the syllabus, sometimes choose the textbook, create lesson plans, choose the major writing assignments, assign the homework, grade the assignments, have office hours (usually 4 a week), etc. Most schools require a short summer TA workshop and a first semester TA workshop to help you develop techniques and materials as you work your way through your first course.

Where I went, students who spoke English as a second language generally taught ESL sections of composition. If the TA didn't have a good enough grip on English/composition the first or second semester, they usually worked in the Writing Center first, tutoring students one-on-one. TAing is a stressful job, especially when you are just starting your own master's level learning; however, the benefits usually outweigh the difficulties. You are usually still required by the department to take at least 6 credits a semester (2 courses--full time grad student). I taught 1 class and took 3 to 4 classes a semester (10-16 credits). The second+ semesters you teach, the job becomes easier because it requires less prep time as you develop effective lesson plans.

If you are offered a GA/RA/TA take it! The process will usually involve a writing sample, general application, and interview (in person or via phone).

I figured I'd chime in on this conversation as I've taught as freshman comp as adjunct faculty. I taught two sections my first semester with virtually no training. I spent about an hour with my "mentor' who basically gave me his syllabus, a couple of tests he had written and the assigned text that the whole department was expected to use. I asked him a few questions, and that was the last that I saw of him. Teaching was intense, but fulfilling. I learned so, so, so much (often I learned things from the school of hard knocks) but I am very glad that I taught. I learned that I love teaching. In terms of teaching one section vs. two. I honestly didn't think that teaching two sections was much more work than teaching one (with the very large exception of doubling the number of papers I had to grade). As a first-time teacher, most of my time was spent creating lesson plans. Also, it was nice to be able to "fix" any problems that I experienced during the first section. I think it made me a better teacher.

I would definitely go for a TA. You will learn so much! Happy applying!