Student Affairs

ziva7

Is anyone else applying for a student affairs in higher ed degree (or similar - Higher Ed Amin, etc)? If so, where did you apply?

Hi Crawl. I applied for higher ed programs not student affairs. They can be distinctly different depending on the school. Did you apply for master's or doctoral programs?

On 1/13/2011 at 12:08 PM, crawl711 said:

Is anyone else applying for a student affairs in higher ed degree (or similar - Higher Ed Amin, etc)? If so, where did you apply?

I am currently attending Eastern Michigan University in the educational leadership-higher education, student affairs program. I also applied to Buffalo State, DePaul,  Portland State University and St. Cloud State University

I applied for an MA in Higher Ed Administration at UT-Austin, in addition to a bunch of English PhD apps.

I think I'll be hearing from them in early March regardless of their decision.

English and Higher Ed-- nice. Are you leaning towards a particular degree over the other? What do you plan to do with the degree(s)?

I'm definitely leaning towards the English PhD just because I've always wanted to be a professor, but administration has interested me for a while now. I started my Ed. Admin. application as part of the "oh god English is way too competitive and I'll never get in" freak-out, but after doing some research I realized that it's a field I'd really enjoy. So, I'd be happy with an admit to either program!

How did you first learn about Ed. Admin.? I just stumbled across the degree on UT's websites without ever having heard of it before.

I'm definitely leaning towards the English PhD just because I've always wanted to be a professor, but administration has interested me for a while now. I started my Ed. Admin. application as part of the "oh god English is way too competitive and I'll never get in" freak-out, but after doing some research I realized that it's a field I'd really enjoy. So, I'd be happy with an admit to either program!

How did you first learn about Ed. Admin.? I just stumbled across the degree on UT's websites without ever having heard of it before.

Definitely go with the one that you'll enjoy long term the most!

Ed Admin is actually different from Higher Ed Admin so I can't tell which one you have applied to. Ed Admin is usually for people who want to work in the K - 12 segment of education as principals or superintendents. I honestly don't know much about it and I am not quite sure what people do with a master's degree actually in that field. I think you need the doctorate for a principal or superintendent position (at least where I am from), but I could be wrong.

Higher ed admin (on the other hand) is for people who want to work at colleges and universities (or related organizations) either in student affairs, academic affairs, or admin affairs and can encompass a lot of different jobs. If you are looking at higher ed admin, you'll be studying colleges and universities as organizations, discussing the issues facing students, faculty, and alumni, and looking at federal policies affecting higher education. It's a blend of social science fields and some management essentially.

I have always been fascinated with colleges and universities and I started working in the field before I decided to go back and pursue my master's degree. It's an interesting field because people come from vastly different backgrounds which makes for great in-class discussions.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy!

I've also applied to HEA masters programs. I went a little overboard and applied to 13(!) programs. So far I've heard from six and have gotten in to all of them. I submitted all of my applications back in October, but one of my professors took a little while to get her LOR in, so I know many of my applications weren't fully complete and ready for review until late Dec/early Jan. Here's where I stand so far:

George Washington University - ACCEPTED - heard from them super early -- way back on Nov 20

Indiana University - ACCEPTED - Dec 9

Vanderbilt University - ACCEPTED - Jan 20

Northwestern University - ACCEPTED - Jan 22

University of Pennsylvania - ACCEPTED - Jan 27

University of Tennessee - ACCEPTED - Feb 2

Still Waiting:

Harvard University

Michigan State University

University of Michigan

Columbia University

New York University

University of North Carolina Greensboro

Penn State University

Excited that the news has been overwhelmingly good so far, but still waiting to hear back from my top choice or two. Fingers crossed!

I've applied for Higher Ed. Admin. specifically because I want to stay in the college/university environment if possible. Glad I'm not the only one!

Howdy!

I've also applied to HEA masters programs. I went a little overboard and applied to 13(!) programs. So far I've heard from six and have gotten in to all of them. I submitted all of my applications back in October, but one of my professors took a little while to get her LOR in, so I know many of my applications weren't fully complete and ready for review until late Dec/early Jan. Here's where I stand so far:

George Washington University - ACCEPTED - heard from them super early -- way back on Nov 20

Indiana University - ACCEPTED - Dec 9

Vanderbilt University - ACCEPTED - Jan 20

Northwestern University - ACCEPTED - Jan 22

University of Tennessee - ACCEPTED - Feb 2

Still Waiting:

Harvard University

Michigan State University

University of Michigan

Columbia University

New York University

University of North Carolina Greensboro

Penn State University

Excited that the news has been overwhelmingly good so far, but still waiting to hear back from my top choice or two. Fingers crossed!

13! Wow-- that is a lot. Glad to hear that your news has been positive so far. I hope the streak continues. :)

You have a mix of programs that you applied to. Are you more interested in student affairs, higher ed, or policy? Are you leaning any particular direction at the moment?

13! Wow-- that is a lot. Glad to hear that your news has been positive so far. I hope the streak continues. :)

You have a mix of programs that you applied to. Are you more interested in student affairs, higher ed, or policy? Are you leaning any particular direction at the moment?

For now I'm leaning towards higher ed. I'd place NYU as my top choice at the moment, so I'll really start making decisions once I hear from them.

For now I'm leaning towards higher ed. I'd place NYU as my top choice at the moment, so I'll really start making decisions once I hear from them.

NYU is a good program. When I applied there 5 years ago, I believe I heard mid February or so and then they had a visit weekend at the end of March. I hope you get accepted!

Congrats on all the acceptances so far! I have also applied for the masters HEA program at UPenn. I was just wondering if you might possibly be willing to share your stats with me - it's my top choice and I'm just going crazy waiting to find out!

Congrats on all the acceptances so far! I have also applied for the masters HEA program at UPenn. I was just wondering if you might possibly be willing to share your stats with me - it's my top choice and I'm just going crazy waiting to find out!

Check your PM

• 3 weeks later...

You are not alone! I am so excited to be pursuing my master's in Student Affairs/College Student Personnel Administration/ all the other names the programs can go by haha

I applied to University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Vanderbilt University, The College of William and Mary and The University of Memphis

So far I have only been accepted to UNCG and am going to the admitted students program this weekend.

I hate waiting!!

I looked into Student Affairs but was unclear to where the best college to study. After a year away, I'm looked at NYU...

With SAA/CSPA/ &etc the curriculum can vary widely but you also don't tend to face the same sort of name snobbery that you do in academic hiring. The best college to study CSPA at is the one you receive the best funding package at. There are colleges whose CSPA programs focus more on counseling theory and others that draw from a wider pool of interdisciplinary material.

Just make sure you choose a school where you fit well with both the academic program/faculty and your assistantship supervisors.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to history Ph.D. programs along with a few student personnel programs in order to weigh my options. I have a good offer to go to Kent State but I also have a potential assistantship at Ohio University. The GA at Kent is a much better package, though, so I think OU might be off the table.

Right now, I'm still in the wait-and-see mode because I'm not going to make a decision until I hear back from the history programs.

I applied for an MA in Higher Ed Administration at UT-Austin, in addition to a bunch of English PhD apps.

I think I'll be hearing from them in early March regardless of their decision.

I also applied to the Ed Admin. MA at UT Austin and have not heard back. Does this mean that I am either rejected or wait-listed? If you do not mind, of course ---How did you find out that you were wait-listed?

Thanks