Duke interviews

Hicks

Like others on these forums I keep getting e-mails from Duke letting em know what application materials they have. These have never bothered me until this morning. Simpy because we are getting close to when they invited people to interview last year. So, I got thinking. According to the results page they sent out interview invitations last year on Jan 21 but didn't reject people until March. If we don't ge the invitation does that automatically mean we are rejected and just waiting for it to be official? Just curious.

I'm not applying to Duke, but I think they are making sure the ones invited for interviews are "keepers." I don't think it means you are not in, but I do think the chances are slim. Best of luck on your applications.

Like others on these forums I keep getting e-mails from Duke letting em know what application materials they have. These have never bothered me until this morning. Simpy because we are getting close to when they invited people to interview last year. So, I got thinking. According to the results page they sent out interview invitations last year on Jan 21 but didn't reject people until March. If we don't ge the invitation does that automatically mean we are rejected and just waiting for it to be official? Just curious.

I was called for an interview at Duke on December 21st, 2010 for their Genetics and Genomics PhD program fall 2011. By December 24th, they had already bought me a ticket for a flight to Durham, NC. The interview is on the weekend of Feb 17-19. I still get those annoying e-mails you're talking about though! Best of luck to ya

If we don't ge the invitation does that automatically mean we are rejected and just waiting for it to be official?

I don't think that's necessarily the case. It depends on how many accepted students take the offer. The interviewees are the short list, but there's always a backup list.

I did speak to a Duke faculty member a few months ago who told me that they will only be able to take 3-5 (!) new students for the fall. Here's hoping that was an low estimate! I didn't apply, but it's an interesting program.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. It depends on how many accepted students take the offer. The interviewees are the short list, but there's always a backup list.

I did speak to a Duke faculty member a few months ago who told me that they will only be able to take 3-5 (!) new students for the fall. Here's hoping that was an low estimate! I didn't apply, but it's an interesting program.

Ouch! I didn't realize that. My interest is in the relationship between Contemporary Art and religion, especially Christianity. So, David Morgan would be a good fit for me. He is the only person i know of who does related work and is on faculty in the art history program. Sally Promey at Yale is grat, and they are my first choice, but she is in the Divinity School and American Studies department. We'll see...I'm sad to hear that they are looking to take so few this year.

After looking at their stats this isn't as bad as I thought. Over the last 10 years they've made 6-10 offers a year and enrolled 3-6...so it doesnt' look like much of a change.

I've spoken extensively with faculty at Duke, and my impression was that the interview/invitee weekend might be a thing of the past considering recent funding cuts. If this is in fact the case, it would push back the timeline for notifying students.

• 1 month later...

Can we assume at this point that Duke has made its decisions? Ugh, why haven't I heard from them yet! Someone please let us in on what's going on... :-/

If you haven't received an invitation for the prospective student's weekend, I think it's highly unlikely that you will get accepted. They scheduled two rounds of interviews in February for short-listed students. Duke hasn't given out any acceptances yet, and I don't think they will until they've met all the students on the short-list. The results will probably come out in early to mid March.