Waitlisted: when do they inform applicants?

silentlywaiting

So I've been waitlisted at two schools and have been told by both that I'll be notified by April 15 of my final status.

Does anyone know when schools typically notify waitlisted applicants? Is it right around the April 15 deadline or is it awhile before (ex. one week)? Also, do applicants who are eventually offered admission receive more time to decide?

I'm pretty much down to these two schools and am worried that I would have very little time to decide in the optimistic case that I am accepted to both.

We're in the same boat buddy. The graduate programs cannot notify you until the accepted students have notified them whether they are attending or not. The applicants are not required to let them know their decision until April 15th. That is why they cannot guarantee a word prior to April 15th, they're not psychic.

So it's really out of the grad. programs hands and now in the hands of those first choice applicants that have been accepted.

If you find out after April 15th, there is no deadline of acceptance as far as I know, but you should ask and see because they may have others on the wait list who they can accept if you turn them down.

I find myself tempted daily to call and see if a spot opened up but that would be utterly pointless and annoying. Now we're just left with waiting. Best of luck on gaining acceptance, I'll have my fingers crossed for you! :P

It depends how many offers they made. If they have 10 openings and they made 10 offers there will be somebody dropping out before April 15 and then they can immediately make a new offer. Most applicants do not care and won't notify anything until very late (close to April 15).

The problem is that some of the programs make 2-3 times more offers than they have openings knowing fairly well that many will drop out (I am certain this is the case with many CS programs). Then you might have to wait April 15 or until they figure out they have a deficit in admissions.

If you are way down on the waiting list you will have very slim chances. You can ask them that though I don't think they'll tell you anything. I would try anyway since if they are willing to communicate with you that is a good sign. Don't count on anything though.

Hey santana, so according to your theory, if a waitlisted applicant is on top of the list they might be notified much earlier than april 15, no?

i have another question: if peterson says last year 10 people were offered admission at X phd program and 8 enrolled, does the number 8 include those who were waitlisted and later got accepted or does that mean they took 2 waitlisted applicants to ensure the incoming class is composed of 10 students?

thanks

Hi, I've been wait-listed, too and I DO understand your feelings.

In my situation, the accepted applicants are required to respond to the department by March 28th. If a space opened up, they would notify me right away.

I have'nt heard any news so far.

They will let me know on Monday, but I expect it will be a refusal notofication.

You are DIFFERENT as you have a time. There is still hope.

Everything comes those who wait.

Good luck!!!

Is it appropriate to visit a place where you are waitlisted? I don't want to accept a place that I haven't visited, and if I don't find out before the 12th, I will have to decline the offer because I won't even know what the school is really like. There is only so much you can find out from their websites. Any ideas about visiting?

Is it appropriate to visit a place where you are waitlisted? I don't want to accept a place that I haven't visited, and if I don't find out before the 12th, I will have to decline the offer because I won't even know what the school is really like. There is only so much you can find out from their websites. Any ideas about visiting?

I'm having the same problem. I think that I really want to go to the school that waitlisted me, but it's on the other side of the country and I've never visited. I thought about visiting now, but it would feel like a waste of time/money if I don't get in. My plan is to wait until after I'm accepted, then go visit and meet with them before declaring an official enrollment. That way I can also pick out housing while I'm there. If you want to visit now, though, I'm sure it would not be considered inappropriate.

I think I might be waitlisted for Penn State, as I haven't heard anything from them and the grad assistant told me over a week ago that they weren't done with the process, but that she had no info on standings. I don't have any other offers from schools. Anyone think it might be a good/bad idea to just call and politely let them know that I would definitely accept an offer? This waiting is interminable.

I think it is definitely worth while to get in contact with programs that have waitlisted you, either way it probably won't hurt to let them know you're still very much interested; they can't bump you down for being enthuastic can they? :D Just make sure you're true to your own word - don't tell them you'll accept their offer for sure then go somewhere else!

I got into four schools and none of them asked me to reply by april 15th. Do schools normally ask people to reply by the 15th.

Texas A&m said the offer was valid till september

Cornell May 1st

UCLA, UIUC didnt give a deadline

Im on a waitlist too, so just wondering if theres no deadline to reply then how will spots open up on the 15th?

goodluck

Hey guys... same here... :cry:

I've some questions.... If someone get acceptance at this time, I mean in April or if he comes from wait-list, does he get financial aid offer? or without financial aid?

I'm too much worried.. :cry:

Thanks in advance....

If someone get acceptance at this time, I mean in April or if he comes from wait-list, does he get financial aid offer? or without financial aid?

It depends on the school. I think it would be very appropriate to call and ask if people from the wait list still have a chance of getting financial aid.

I was very lucky that my waitlist letter specifically said that I would still get full support if offered admission. I've noticed around here that many schools with waitlists don't really tell you anything and expect you to just wait it out without knowing what will happen even if you are offered admission, but my letter was full of information. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have emailed them to say I was definitely still interested :lol:

wow.. thats quite encouraging.. :)

i don't know have any idea about my odd one

by the way.. one question... if they can't offer you admission with funding then when they will inform you details about the financial aid?? after accepting their admission offer?? Or after entering their side??

thank you so much for your reply....

I contacted the grad director to let them know that I was still interested in the program and would definitely accept an offer. He responded and let me know that I'm on their short list for alternates and are just waiting to hear from the people they've already made offers to. I would guess it would be close to the 15th before I hear definitive from them. So, if you aren't going to Penn State for History, let them know and I'll buy you a cookie. :)

If my waitlist letter said "We feel that nearly all of our applicants would thrive at Public U if only we had the funding to accept everyone", does this mean that if accepted I would get funding?

I also got a letter from the DGS stating that I have moved up three places on the waitlist and "things are moving quickly". She also asked if I was still interested. This is a good sign, right??