It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

I may be able to answer this one. Last weekend I received a call from the graduate coordinator for the Americanists with an offer of acceptance. The next day I received an email from my potential advisor congratulating me. Yesterday, my Wolverine account changed. I now have an option to view my decision which states that I've been accepted. Shortly after my Wolverine account changed I received an email from the graduate school. Today, I received my itinerary for the March recruitment visit. I've also received 2 additional emails from faculty members.

I was told that they were only extending 13 offers to Americanists with the hopes of recruiting 7. This number is for strict American history programs. He said they were taking a possible 4 more Americanists in joint programs.

I know that there have been some questions on this forum regarding the high stipend (23,000). I was told that this is because they recently received an endowment in which the faculty voted to shift some funding to incoming grad students.

In light of all this info, I'm not sure if I was just contacted early or not - and I can only speak to the US history aspect.

As an Africanist, I can say that my experience has been identical, with the exception that my field offered to 5 acceptances in hopes of getting 3-4. That's an interesting bit of info on the stipend...I would have never thought applying for 2011 would have any economic perks.

Hm, well, what I'm wonder is, have all those accepted already been contacted? If all the letters go out next week, is that really just the letters of rejection?

Even that would be nice to know. Man, looks like a banner year for funding at Michigan. Wish it would have worked out.

I'm in American history, and it looks like five or so people on here have already been accepted. Doesn't look good.

Edited by HistoryGrizzly

For folks waiting on University of Michigan and Washington, both have confirmed to me that they will be sending out notifications next week.

UWashington usually notifies those they are funding first (around mid-Feb), and then they notify other acceptances closer to end-Feb. Not sure how it works for rejections.

Edited by history2010

For folks waiting on University of Michigan and Washington, both have confirmed to me that they will be sending out notifications next week.

Thanks, but that's too late for me. I have to let SFU know by Tuesday. I told UMich that.... but I guess the only thing in the mail will be a rejection.

Thanks, but that's too late for me. I have to let SFU know by Tuesday. I told UMich that.... but I guess the only thing in the mail will be a rejection.

That's an uncomfortable situation to be in. But if it helps, I know UMich said that they were going to have their travel agent contact early next week all those accepted to arrange plane tickets for their open house in March.

Kind of just repeating what I posted in the results:

Just received the nicest rejection email so far from Rutgers. Truly genuine. Was told that readers put my application in the A pile, however, they felt that I may be better suited to a Western university due to the nature of my work...lol. I have already been accepted to two Eastern universities! I know we have all been getting kind of jaded with these rejection form letters, so it was kind of refreshing to get a personal email from a professor explaining the decision. According to her email, there was quite a debate about my application.

Of course, the rejection is soothed by the fact that I have two other offers. Otherwise, I'd be hyperventilating and crying...lol

Wow! This process is such a crap shoot!

Must have been a pretty nice letter. And it must be flattering to know that you were really in the mix, though, with two acceptances under your belt, surely it's just gravy at this point. :) There are no mass waves of rejection notices on the results page, so you really must have gotten the personal touch. It's so hard to figure if that means anything for the rest of us. Is there a mass of generic rejection letters coming? Or nice ones? Or acceptances?

A little transparency wouldn't be the worst thing for this process.

I haven't received a formal rejection from Rutgers yet and the website still says "no decision." I kind of think she was just nice enough to let me hear it from her before I got the crappy format letter. So, it sounds like they've definitely made some decisions and y'all will be finding out soon. Good luck!

Must have been a pretty nice letter. And it must be flattering to know that you were really in the mix, though, with two acceptances under your belt, surely it's just gravy at this point. :) There are no mass waves of rejection notices on the results page, so you really must have gotten the personal touch. It's so hard to figure if that means anything for the rest of us. Is there a mass of generic rejection letters coming? Or nice ones? Or acceptances?

A little transparency wouldn't be the worst thing for this process.

My status on the Rutgers system still says "No Decision" as well.

With only two replies, and both of them rejections, I'm just waiting for the inevitable Rutgers rejection as well.

At least I can stay at my current school (assuming I pass my MA comps...), although it would be nice to get into a better school and have a job someday. Oh well.

My status on the Rutgers system still says "No Decision" as well.

With only two replies, and both of them rejections, I'm just waiting for the inevitable Rutgers rejection as well.

At least I can stay at my current school (assuming I pass my MA comps...), although it would be nice to get into a better school and have a job someday. Oh well.

I had two rejections before my first acceptance. Keep hope alive.

I had two rejections before my first acceptance. Keep hope alive.

This. I completely agreed. I got my offer of admission from American University last night (erm, day). But no funding. :unsure:

Thin Mountain Air, when did you hear from your professor at Cornell? I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Good luck moving forward.

Rejected from UVA (received email directing me to my application page) and Cornell (email from professor). Cornell stings a bit more because it's my alma mater, but oh well. It's probably for the best that I not spend a decade at one school.

I say there's always hope. It seems like some schools inform Americanists, Europeanists, etc, at different times. Also, some professors may get in touch with admitted students before the official letters go out. If you're really anxious I'd recommend just getting in touch with the department.

To anyone who might know. If I have two schools remaining and they have notified at least some of their candidates should I simply assume that the rejection is coming or should I have hope.

To anyone who might know. If I have two schools remaining and they have notified at least some of their candidates should I simply assume that the rejection is coming or should I have hope.

Your guess is probably as good as anybody's guess. It is really hard to say. Keep hope until you hear the official news.

Edited by borderlands

I say there's always hope. It seems like some schools inform Americanists, Europeanists, etc, at different times. Also, some professors may get in touch with admitted students before the official letters go out. If you're really anxious I'd recommend just getting in touch with the department.

Agreed. Moreover, some schools even notify admitted students in the same field at different times. One of my schools notified me of acceptance a week after another candidate in the same field (same advisor, same funding).

OSU's acceptance went out via email just now. Hope everyone else who applied hears soon! :)

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley, UMichigan, Ohio State

Rejected:

Two new additions to the "probably rejected" pile means "Still Possible" has met its end.

Congrats to everyone! Now I wait for funding..

OSU's acceptance went out via email just now. Hope everyone else who applied hears soon! :)

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley, UMichigan, Ohio State

Rejected:

Was it a personal email from a POI or an automated email? If automated/mass email, that doesn't seem to bode well for me. Guess I'll be getting the ole rejection letter later this week.