It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

I think I'm finally settled- accepted to UPenn this morning. What a strange, long month this has been. Best of luck to you all (and if anyone is waitlisted at Austin, Rutgers or OSU, this may be your lucky day!)

Big congratulations on UPenn! !

Was it a personal email from a POI or an automated email? If automated/mass email, that doesn't seem to bode well for me. Guess I'll be getting the ole rejection letter later this week.

It was a personal email from the Graduate Studies Chair. I thought I might get my reply late because mine was an internal application (people who are already admitted to the graduate school for a different program don't have to fill out the online application - I'm an MA student in East Asian Studies right now). Not sure how that reflects on other peoples receiving acceptances, but good luck! :)

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley, UMichigan, Ohio State

Rejected:

Accepted at Penn today via an e-mail from the director of graduate studies. Formal letter and package to be forthcoming.

Waitlisted at Michigan today, but I am almost certain I'll be e-mailing them tomorrow to decline my spot on the waitlist.

Edited by Rustin

Bummed I didn't get waitlist at Michigan, but it was easily the best place I applied to and they actually sent me a letter from the department and not from Rackham. Oh well!

yet another Michigan rejection:

"After a careful review of your application, we regret to inform you that we cannot extend an offer of admission this year to the PhD program in the Department of History at the University of Michigan. We received over 365 applications for a very limited number of positions, and the final admissions list includes approximately 10 percent of the total applicant pool. The History Department's commitment to providing a multiyear funding package to all admitted students means that many excellent applicants do not receive offers of admission."

Just got an email that I'm offered the JISF/Mitsubushi award by the Asian Studies Center at Pitt, meaning they inadvertently beat the History department to notifying me of my acceptance. Hope everyone else who applied hears soon! Looks like decisions should be rolling out this week.

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley, UMichigan, Ohio State, Pittsburgh

Rejected:

yet another Michigan rejection:

"After a careful review of your application, we regret to inform you that we cannot extend an offer of admission this year to the PhD program in the Department of History at the University of Michigan. We received over 365 applications for a very limited number of positions, and the final admissions list includes approximately 10 percent of the total applicant pool. The History Department's commitment to providing a multiyear funding package to all admitted students means that many excellent applicants do not receive offers of admission."

For what its worth, that is a fair way to handle things and a relatively gentle way of letting you down.

Yep, another Michigan rejection here. However, I am so stoked about UBC that I don't even care.

Did 365 seem a little low to anyone? I was expecting an applicant pool there of about 450 - not sure why. Maybe it was on an faq somewhere.

Another Michigan reject here. Still waiting on Columbia's EALC program, but I doubt I'm in. Alberta here I come!

I was accepted there as well, but am going to SFU instead. What's your field? who would you be working with?

For what it's worth, people, I still have FIVE more decisions to go! And yes, it's just the beginning of March and April 15th is 6 weeks away... which means I'm going to face with a flood. Or more silence because I may be on a waitlist somewhere. :o

Someone, please hand me a barf bag as I get ready to go another emotional roller-coaster ride. :blink:

I was accepted there as well, but am going to SFU instead. What's your field? who would you be working with?

Pre-modern Japanese History. I'll be working with Mikael Adolphson. :D The department offered me a very nice package as well.

For what it's worth, people, I still have FIVE more decisions to go! And yes, it's just the beginning of March and April 15th is 6 weeks away... which means I'm going to face with a flood. Or more silence because I may be on a waitlist somewhere. :o

Someone, please hand me a barf bag as I get ready to go another emotional roller-coaster ride. :blink:

With Michigan's rejection, I'm still waiting on four. I'm pretty sure Chicago and Rutgers are a no though. So it's really just Ohio and Indiana.

Formal acceptances for Pitt are rolling out. Good luck everyone!

Got an email from the director of graduate studies, offered Japan Iron and Steel Federation/ Mitsubishi Graduate Fellowship and Arts and Sciences Social Science Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship. Says it should be five years of funding with the other years as TAships. Pretty competitive with other schools. Tough decisions coming soon. :)

---

Rejected:

Edited by Paura

Formal acceptances for Pitt are rolling out. Good luck everyone!

Got an email from the director of graduate studies, offered Japan Iron and Steel Federation/ Mitsubishi Graduate Fellowship and Arts and Sciences Social Science Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship. Says it should be five years of funding with the other years as TAships. Pretty competitive with other schools. Tough decisions coming soon. :)

---

Rejected:

Congrats! I just found out I got into Pitt also!

Good luck everyone!