Here are my Stats, chances of interview?

Johndg2

Hello all, I guess I'm looking for some encouragment or perhaps a bit of reality (feel free to be honest), on my chances of getting an interview to doctorate programs mostly in Cell and Molecular Biology. I met all the deadlines and I haven't heard a single decision yet. It is a bit early; I was hoping for at least 1 early interview. Here are my stats.

Master's degree in Biology from a medium sized school in the University of Georgia system- g.p.a. 3.2

Undergraduate in Biology at same institution- g.p.a. 2.5 ( I realize this is quite low, I've addressed this in a seperate letter explaining why I was not a motivated student and plus it was like 10 years ago. I'm 30 now.)

GRE- (V) 520 (Q) 750 (W) 4

4 strong letters of recomendation

1 co-author publication and 1 in preparation (not counting master's thesis)

7+ years of research experience: 2 at Brandeis, 2 at Joslin Diabetes Center, 3 for my master's

My Statement is pretty decent I think, I really emphasized my research experience.

I am applying to "middle of the road" programs without huge reputations that still have adaquate funding (supposedly). I've also spoken with 3 professors over the phone. I have emailed all programs, multiple professors at some, all with encouraging responses. I would be happy to go to ANY of these programs, I've looked at them in detail and the curriculum /research /stipend /location would be good for me. Here are the schools.

Indiana University Bloomington- Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology

Colorado State- Plant Molecular Biology

University of Colorado Denver- Molecular Biology

University of Utah- Molecular Biology

Purdue University- Bioscience

University of Rochester- Biology

Umass Amherst -Cell and Molecular Biology

Boston University Medical- Cell and Molecular Biology

University of Cincinnati Medical- Cell and Developmental Biology

Georgia State University- Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics

Also, if anyone has information on when interviews are announced at any of these schools please let me know. Feel free to post your stats and prospective programs too. I'm especially interested in knowing about applicants to non-Ivey, high octane programs.

Best, me

Hey there,

It's going to be really tricky for anybody on here to predict what the adcoms are thinking. "Rate my chances" threads are always kind of a crapshoot. But, you probably already knew that :)

Anyhow, your GPAs probably aren't high enough to make admissions committees jump for joy. Just from what you've said, with 7 years of good research experience, this is probably the red flag. But you said you gave an explanation for the undergrad GPA, so this is good. And the year is still young. Chin up! There's still time.

I have absolutely no doubt you'll get interviews in most, if not all, of those schools. Your GRE scores are good and your GPA is decent. I've gotten interviews at most of my schools with an undergraduate GPA of 3.2, a worse GRE score, no MS, and just under 4 years of lab experience. You've already completed your MS, so they know that you'll be devoted to your work. They'd be stupid not to accept you.

My GPA sucked (3.01). And GRE scores are just for weeding people out and for fellowships, everyone knows they don't indicate someone's ability or potential.

But I got interview requests! I've had about 2.5 years research experience, one pub, strong letters of recommendation and an undergrad prof who talked me up to some professors at a conference. Also, my SOP was pretty good in my opinion. Very narrow and concise, and of course catering to the particular school.

Also, one of the schools I applied to had a submission deadline of Dec. 1, and I didn't get their interview request until just last week (Jan. 18th), a whole 7 weeks after my submission. The other schools I applied to have deadlines of Jan. 15th so I don't expect to hear back until March.

Overall, I wouldn't worry.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I am in the same situation as Johndg2; my undergraduate GPA is 2.92 in microbiology from UC Davis. My MS is in Biology from SFSU with GPA of 3.46.

GRE score : Verbal (590): Quantitative(680).

I have 10 years of research experiences both in academia and industry.

My SOP is geared toward my research experiences.

I have not gather my letter of recommendation yet since it is early.

I applying to Stanford. UC Davis, UC San Diego, UC Irvine, University of Washington, WSU, Univ of Arizona, and Oregon Health and Science University.

What are my chances.

I think your record of research experience will really benefit you and make up for any low GPA. Also your publications will help you immensely. Also your GRE is pretty good, maybe a bit low on verbal but from what I hear most schools don't take the score into account that much unless you totally bomb it or get a perfect score. Just make sure you can still use that test score because I think there is an expiration on each test you take.

I hate to detract attention from your question, so maybe shoot me a message if you read this, but how did you start research at Joslin? I'm really interested in doing research post undergraduate there if I don't get accepted at the PhD programs I'm applyin to this fall. I really want to work with type 1 diabetes in my future, so if you could let me know how you got your foot in the door, I would really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am in the same situation as Johndg2; my undergraduate GPA is 2.92 in microbiology from UC Davis. My MS is in Biology from SFSU with GPA of 3.46.

GRE score : Verbal (590): Quantitative(680).

I have 10 years of research experiences both in academia and industry.

My SOP is geared toward my research experiences.

I have not gather my letter of recommendation yet since it is early.

I applying to Stanford. UC Davis, UC San Diego, UC Irvine, University of Washington, WSU, Univ of Arizona, and Oregon Health and Science University.

What are my chances.

I don't know about other schools but I think you definitely want to have a much higher GRE Quantitative score if you want to get into UCSD. I supposed if that is for UCSD, similar expectation also applies to Stanford or any other top-tier biological science/biochemistry programs, too. The rest of your application should be okay I supposed. It may be hurt if you do not have any publications after 10 years of research. Just my two cents.