Can We Send Updates To Our CV?

Medievalmaniac

Hey, All -

If we have new items that are exciting and/or relevant to our application that have been added to our CV since our initial submission, do you think it is advisable to email those in at this point?

I have now been notified that my essay abstract has been accepted in a book proposal for an edited collection of essays on Chaucer, to be fielded by Boydell & Brewer, the premier publisher in medieval studies. It's a pretty exciting list of scholars contributing, and I feel that the fact my abstract is included alongside such figures as Lorraine Stock and Karl Tobias Steel is kind of a big deal.

Is this something worth sending in as an addendum to my application/ the CV I sent in with my application, or at this point since it is a proposal and not a publication does it not really matter?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Hey, All -

If we have new items that are exciting and/or relevant to our application that have been added to our CV since our initial submission, do you think it is advisable to email those in at this point?

I have now been notified that my essay abstract has been accepted in a book proposal for an edited collection of essays on Chaucer, to be fielded by Boydell & Brewer, the premier publisher in medieval studies. It's a pretty exciting list of scholars contributing, and I feel that the fact my abstract is included alongside such figures as Lorraine Stock and Karl Tobias Steel is kind of a big deal.

Is this something worth sending in as an addendum to my application/ the CV I sent in with my application, or at this point since it is a proposal and not a publication does it not really matter?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

First, congratulations - I know I'd be elated if I were in your position, so make sure to go out and celebrate.

Unfortunately, everywhere that I've seen (admittedly, all for Poli Sci) have said that amendments to the CV cannot be made after it is submitted. Still, I would get on the phone to your schools and ask if you can submit a supplementary letter in which you just say "also, I've got this essay in an edited collection coming up..." They're likely to say that they can't guarantee that it gets looked at, but I imagine some will take it and add it to the file. Still, it's a big enough achievement that even if only one or two schools see it then the effort will have been worth it.

Congratulations! I think it's definitely worth a shot to try to get the updated CV in. In my field I think it would definitely be possible as long as the adcomm hasn't started reviewing my file yet. If you have been in contact with admissions people at the universities then perhaps you could ask them if you could submit it as an addendum?

Edited by newms

There was a thread on this already. I had a relatively significant addition (paper accepted for publication in a national undergraduate journal) to my CV after my applications had been submitted. I simply sent an email with the updated CV attached to the contact email for all the Admissions offices and almost all of them got back to me saying they would include the updated CV in my file.

Edited by natsteel