SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Hello all, another non-background here! I'm applying for SLP for Fall 2012 and I'm terrified I won't get in. My stats are in my sig, and they're decent, but I'm really concerned about my GPA. It's from a top 20 (academic-wise) school, so hopefully that will make some difference...idk. My GRE is fairly strong and my rec letters should be solid, but I don't have all that much relevant experience as I went to a school that didn't offer anything remotely resembling SLP courses. My desire to be an SLP comes from a personal encounter and the research I have done. I'm planning to shadow several SLPs in the spring, but by that point there will be no time to add that to my applications.

I can't believe how competitive this field is! It's really starting to worry me. I've almost finished applications, mostly waiting on those rec letters. The app process is so stressful and expensive! Haha I'm constantly refreshing pages, trying to find out my application status. Good luck everyone and we're just a few months away now!

I submitted my CSDCAS application December 13. It was verified sometime between Dec. 29-January 4th. When I called they had absolutely no sympathy...so it's just, unfortunately, a matter of time.

I submitted my CSDCAS on 12/13, it showed up as verified a couple weeks later (not sure exactly when). The GPA calculations came out last week, and today my status changed to "Mailed."

I submitted CSDCAS on 12/6, got verified around Christmas, mailed around 12/28. If you application was mailed, check the left side for "Academic Update", this is another step which you can go in the application and enter your grades for Fall 2011, and updates will be automatically sent to the schools. U pitts emailed me yesterday saying that my application is complete for review, and I will get a notification around 3/25.

The long wait starts now.

A Sunday deadline seems really stupid to me. I'm still waiting on one professor to finish his rec letters, and I just have to keep reminding myself that most schools have a grace period, so it's not the end of the world. Yet.

I'm also super jealous of the students in programs who get their acceptances in February. The earliest of my schools is March. Boo.

oo, thanks for the up votes! no idea why, though! :D

who's sending out acceptances in Feb.? that's ridiculously early--were the deadlines for these schools in december? that's the only way I can fathom that, unless the adcoms work way overtime! all of my schools were Jan. 1st or the 15th.

i'd like to tell you all that some schools can be very forgiving about deadlines, PROVIDED all your other components are in. it's hard for us to control outsiders like prometric (or, ETS, i should say) and absent-minded professors and the USPS and whatnot. the adcoms have been at this for ages, so i feel they understand how things can go. northwestern got some of my stuff day of, and i was accepted, what, 2 months later? something like that. like i said, they're not going to sit right down on Monday morning and be all, "APPLICAYSHUNS!!!!!!!!!!! WHO CAN WE REJECT TODAY?"

one last word of comfort: GRE scores are *not* everything. i know several people who, along with their great GRE scores, were flat-out rejected. don't sweat.

CSDCAS did not email me when I ready to use academic update, so I totally blanked on resending my transcript with fall grades. Hopefully there isn't too much of a delay for them to recalculate my grades.

Moral of the story, don't rely on them to send you the email and send your updated transcript ASAP!

Ahhh I'm so nervous. I'm dying to hear backkkk. I just wanted to ask people if they think I have a good chance to get into schools.....

I have a 3.71 now but I applied saying I have a 3.65 because it was not the end of the semester at the time. For the new GRE I got V-146 Q-152 so compared to the old version its like 1040 and Writing 3.5 :(. I took it once before and got a 910 and writing a 3.0 :X. I have experience working as a teachers assistant at an preschool for children with autism and I volunteered for muscular dystrophy association and am involved in the big brothers big sisters program.

I'm applying to Mercy College. NY medical college NYU St Johns. Montclair Seton Hall. Kean and William Paterson

Hey NEWYORKER90 we have pretty much the same stats except ur gpa murders mine lol I didnt do well the beginning years of college but my last two were deans list so im hoping they realize the gradual trend. I also went back to drexel grad for autism n got a 3.9 gpa for those beginning 3 classes but im not sure its enough..im absolutely freaking out over this process.

Hi all! I'm applying (er, have applied) for fall 2012 and figured I'd join in here to give me something to do as I'm waiting to hear back! I applied to:

MGH

Vanderbilt

Northwestern

Rush

UMD

University of the Pacific

Portland State

Columbia - Teacher's College

Pacific University

In hindsight I wish I had applied to a few less-competitive schools (relatively speaking, this program is crazy) but I actually avoided the cal state schools for exactly that reason. My GRE and post-bacc GPA are both good, but my GPA from my first undergrad is not so stellar. Good luck to everyone and hope we start hearing about some acceptances soon!

Ok so I submitted my CSDCAS on 1/3, and it was verified today (1/20). My final last recommender sent his letter this week, so hopefully the schools will receive my complete application some time in the next week or two.

I sort of wish more of my schools had interviews...because then I'd know sooner if they were at least a little bit interested in me.

CSDCAS did not email me when I ready to use academic update, so I totally blanked on resending my transcript with fall grades. Hopefully there isn't too much of a delay for them to recalculate my grades.

Moral of the story, don't rely on them to send you the email and send your updated transcript ASAP!

Uggghh me neither! I guess I better get on that.

I was obsessively diligent at the beginning of this process but at this point I have just simply run out of steam! Two schools to go!

Edit: Oh wait, the app has to be marked as mailed? Hmmm

more info here for those interested

https://portal.csdcas.org/applicants2011/faq/academic_update.shtml

Edited by Astrid Coleslaw

FINALLY done with all my apps, including going back to the school and asking for yet ANOTHER transcript for CSDCAS AU (ugh). These apps have been hanging over me for half a year now. Time to get me a massage and let the worrying kick in later...

My school has a deadline of March 1 and uses the CSDCAS application. I just submitted it tonight and had transcripts sent today. Any idea of whether or not I will make that deadline?? From all these posts, it seems like they are super slow!!

Also, it seems some of my schools have yet to update my application. I sent transcripts, LOR's etc... a long time ago, but it has yet to say received when I check online. But other schools who were sent the same documents on the same date shows that they received it. Doesn't make sense! Could it just be that some schools have it "more together" when it comes to updating received documents?? I'm getting worried :-(

How long does it usually take additional GRE score requests (via the ETS website) to get to the university for which they were requested?

Also, as far as online applications are concerned, how long does it generally take for applications to be processed by a university after the application has been submitted (paid for, etc)? For example, say I submitted an online application January 24th for a February 1st due date... should I be ok?

Also, it seems some of my schools have yet to update my application. I sent transcripts, LOR's etc... a long time ago, but it has yet to say received when I check online. But other schools who were sent the same documents on the same date shows that they received it. Doesn't make sense! Could it just be that some schools have it "more together" when it comes to updating received documents?? I'm getting worried :-(

I'm in the same boat. One of my schools (my top choice) is still listing my transcripts as incomplete even though I sent them back in November and submitted the application around the same time. When I emailed to ask if they just haven't processed all the documents, an automatic reply was sent saying they have been overwhelmed with emails lately. This eased my nerves; I can only assume they are lagging a bit. They also don't send out decisions until mid-April, so the entire review process may take place later, allowing more time for processing materials.

Another school sent out a "don't freak out, we're just a little behind" mass email. I submitted that one back in November as well. It only updated to show my application as complete last week.

Others updated their application status sites within one or two days of receiving materials.

I wouldn't get too worried. As long as you submitted any online materials by the due date, they're officially on time. I would double check any mailings to make sure they went to the correct address, especially transcripts. One of mine went to the undergrad admissions office instead of grad admissions and I didn't realize until after the due date. Luckily, they weren't classes that counted towards my degree, so my application was listed as complete at that particular school.

Hope this helps!

Thank you Thesaurus! I figured they were just behind..but getting someone on the phone around this time is nearly impossible. I think schools are a little flexible with supplemental documents. Thanks for your response..I feel better!

How long does it usually take additional GRE score requests (via the ETS website) to get to the university for which they were requested?

Also, as far as online applications are concerned, how long does it generally take for applications to be processed by a university after the application has been submitted (paid for, etc)? For example, say I submitted an online application January 24th for a February 1st due date... should I be ok?

When I ordered extra GRE scores online on 1/9, the actual 'report date' on the GRE website wasn't until 1/11, and my two schools had it marked as received by the 1/15 deadline. I think the GRE system takes a few days to process the requests before sending them out (but I think it's electronic, so it should be same-day.) I think that a lot of these schools have leeway around parts of your application you don't have control over, like letters of recommendation or GRE scores, so I wouldn't worry too much.