SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Any other applicants using CSDCAS? How has your experience been, was your application mailed yet?

Some of my programs utilized CSDCAS. I submitted January 10th and my application has yet to be mailed out. How about you? Despite other peoples horror stories I haven't really had any serious issues using the system. Just a little anxious at this point to be in the mailed status- all of this waiting is the worst.

Some of my programs utilized CSDCAS. I submitted January 10th and my application has yet to be mailed out. How about you? Despite other peoples horror stories I haven't really had any serious issues using the system. Just a little anxious at this point to be in the mailed status- all of this waiting is the worst.

I am a second timer lol ( I applied for Fall 2012 and was waitlisted and rejected last year.) This year I have not had any problems thus far with CSDCAS, I submitted my application on December 29th, and it is still labeled at complete/not verified. I am anxiously waiting as well, they told me the lead time is currently 4 weeks from when we submit the application. I see you applied to Saint Rose as well, do you know much about the school? I submitted that application last week! Officially, I have one more application to complete and then I can start worrying about hearing back lol.

I don't know anybody who has attended the program. Everything I know about Saint Rose has come from their website (or this one lol), but it seems like the program offers a lot of great opportunities- I'd be thrilled to get in! I submitted my application last week as well, and I am really hoping to score an interview. I think that is when I'd really be able to get a better grasp on what the school is like. How about you? Know anybody in the program? I have one more more application to submit as well, but I have to wait for my next payday to do so (my bank account is reeling from the effects of this process lol).

I don't know anybody who has attended the program. Everything I know about Saint Rose has come from their website (or this one lol), but it seems like the program offers a lot of great opportunities- I'd be thrilled to get in! I submitted my application last week as well, and I am really hoping to score an interview. I think that is when I'd really be able to get a better grasp on what the school is like. How about you? Know anybody in the program? I have one more more application to submit as well, but I have to wait for my next payday to do so (my bank account is reeling from the effects of this process lol).

All I know is from the website as well lol, it does seem like a great  program and I hope I can score an interview! I'd love to go there because it isn't to far from home,but far enough to have the "on my own" experience ( I'm about 2-3 hrs away from Albany). Did you get an email saying your application was sent for review? As for application fees- my bank account is also feeling depleted haha. My application fees for three schools were waived because I went to their open houses so I was very happy about that! 

All I know is from the website as well lol, it does seem like a great  program and I hope I can score an interview! I'd love to go there because it isn't to far from home,but far enough to have the "on my own" experience ( I'm about 2-3 hrs away from Albany). Did you get an email saying your application was sent for review? As for application fees- my bank account is also feeling depleted haha. My application fees for three schools were waived because I went to their open houses so I was very happy about that! 

No email yet, they are still waiting on one of my transcripts to arrive...

Wish I could have attended some open houses but I'm only applying to one school in my home state so it wasn't really an option. 

No email yet, they are still waiting on one of my transcripts to arrive...

Wish I could have attended some open houses but I'm only applying to one school in my home state so it wasn't really an option. 

I was just notified by one school that they have not received one of my transcripts that was mailed three weeks ago... so I had to order another one! This application process is a full time job,but I do have to say many schools have let me know when my application is complete and two have been sent for review...yikes. CSDCAS is killing me with the rate at which applications are being processed... :wacko: I also spoke to CSDCAS earlier, they were up to apps from December 20th.... I received a quick response after I FB messaged them.

Edited by hopefulslp88

Also just stumbled on this site (and, more importantly, this thread) and am very excited.

Finished applications 3+ weeks ago for University of Minnesota Twin Cities & Saint Cloud State (I'm geographically limited, unfortunately).

Finished a BA in history & German studies back in 2004 - was working on my PhD in modern German history before realizing that academia wasn't for me.

I've been working for 3+ years now in the field of adult learning & development.

Undergrad GPA: 3.7925

Grad GPA: 3.63

GRE: V 167 / Q 158 / W 4.5

Solid LORs from undergrad & grad advisors, as well as volunteer coordinators (I've volunteered both in teaching GED courses to non-native English speakers & working with a family who has speech-delayed children).

Very interesting in exploring working with adults who have neurogenic brain disorders & aren't native English speakers.

I have no idea whether or not I have a decent chance of getting in - but am content to know that if I don't, I'll just increase my experience in the field & try again next year.

chellinchen, I think you're a very competitive candidate--your GRE scores are excellent, your background and experience are interesting and relevant, etc.

(And as an aside, I'm interested in neurogenic brain disorders in adults as well.)

Best of luck!

chellinchen, I think you're a very competitive candidate--your GRE scores are excellent, your background and experience are interesting and relevant, etc.

(And as an aside, I'm interested in neurogenic brain disorders in adults as well.)

Best of luck!

Thank you - I keep telling myself not to be too pessimistic, but also not get my hopes up too high.

And yes, neurogenic brain disorders - I can't get enough.  I've read everything I can find on the topic & am taking a Neurobiology course through Coursera (starting in March) - just because I can.

Any other applicants using CSDCAS? How has your experience been, was your application mailed yet?

I applied to 10 schools and 4 of them used the CSDCAS portal.  It is frustrating at first but if you read and understand all of the directions and are organized, it's not too bad.  I submitted my application on December 21st and it was verified on January 22nd--that's about a month.  When I contacted CSDCAS, they said that they'll be mailing it out on Friday so that my schools will hopefully have it in their hands by the end of the month.  It's a long and tedious process that requires a lot of patience, but I completely understand why some schools prefer it over their own online application.

My friends who submitted their application via CSDCAS earlier (October/November) had a much better time because submission and verification took only two weeks.  But since everyone is submitting right now, it's getting chaotic and slow.

I'm curious what the posters here think of my girlfriend's chances - she's applying to San Diego State University, Chapman University, CSU Long Beach, and CSU East Bay. 

Her stats:

She'll be getting her BA in Communication Disorders from CSULB this semester.

GPA, total: 3.96

GPA, CSD classes only: 3.9

GRE: 157 V, 155 Q, 4.0W

She also has clinical experience from taking a SLPA class at CSULB, is bilingual, and emphasized that in her statement. I feel like she has great odds to get into all of her schools.

Your Girlfriend has a good chance of getting one of those programs! SDSU and CSULB are particularly competitive, but she has impressive stats. CA programs are definitely impacted, so i'm personally nervous of not getting accepted into any programs with my stats :/ But keep encouraging her and im sure she will get in! :)

Can anyone tell me what you think my chances are? I'm definitely nervous, but hoping for the best.

I'm not sure if this hurts my chances, but I'm graduating with only 3 years of undergrad. I'll be graduating with a Psychology major, and a Communication Disorders minor. I have a lot of Elementary Education coursework (I only recently decided to not complete my education major and graduate early instead). So here are my stats.

Overall GPA: 3.91

Minor (Communication Disorders) GPA: 4.0

GRE: V- 157, M- 161, AW- 5.5

Schools I'm applying to: Montclair, Kean, Richard Stockton, CUNY Brooklyn, CUNY Hunter, Adelphi, Seton Hall, William Paterson, UConn, Long Island University (Brooklyn Campus)

I'm really just hoping to get in somewhere. If anyone could give me an idea of what you think my chances are it's greatly appreciated! :) Also, best of luck to everyone.

This thread and the results page have been open on my computer for days... so I thought I'd stop lurking and say hello :-)  I am an RN and watching the speech pathologists in the hospital setting led me down this path!  I feel like my GPA and GRE are competitive (GPA 3.91  GRE v162 m154 w4.5) but the nursing thing is kind of a wild card.  So, we shall see!  I applied (well still working on 2 apps) to 6 schools but I almost had a heart attack today when I got an email from Vanderbilt that said "Status Changed"... but it was just a notification that I didn't make the interview cut for a job I applied for there months ago. :-P  Glad I have you all to go crazy with over the next couple of months!

slpgal123: I don't really know how schools will view graduating early, but I doubt it will hurt you given your phenomenal GPA and strong GRE scores. You've applied to a lot of schools, so your chances of getting in somewhere seem good IMO.

RN2SLP: I think being an RN will give you an edge (clearly you know how to work in a clinical setting), and your GPA and GRE are strong. I hope Vandy is kinder to you during grad school admissions!

My second school's deadline is tomorrow, so the process is officially in full swing. I'm nervous, excited, scared, etc. Basically I'm Jessie Spano on caffeine pills. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone!

I am so overwhelmed! I finished applying to all of my grad programs, but I'm feeling so discouraged. While looking through the gradcafe results list, it seemed like no one posted with below a 3.7, and even then they were posting about being denied. 

I double-majored in speech-language pathology and Deaf studies. My undergraduate GPA (cumulative) was a 3.65. I am a NSSLHA officer, and even interned at the Governor's Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. I also held a peer academic advising position on-campus for about 2 years. 

Yet because my GPA isn't through the roof, I'm getting increasingly worried about being accepted anywhere. Do any of you feel as though schools take other activities into consideration? Or are GPA/GRE the main factors?

I am also worried about the GPA thing. Mine isn't super stellar, but my major was also difficult and higher hours required than others. I also already have a grad degree in teaching, so I am hopeful that my six years of experience as a teacher plus positive performance in a previous grad program will be enough. The minimum is 3.0 at all of the SLP programs I have investigated, and I have a 3.26 in undergrad. My previous grad degree doesnt do GPAs so I am having to explain that toone of my application folks who asked. Awkward conversation for sure, because they have never heard of UNC Chapel Hill's ungraded high pass -pass-low pass system for grad school (if you fail a course, you are simply OUT of the whole program). Keep in mind that some programs are interested in you as a person rather than just your numbers. I am relying on that!

@jmarti37, we applied to UNC and USC! Best of luck, because your profile sounds like you will get In!!!

Let me know how it goes for you! It would be great if we both got in  :) Are either of those your top choices?

USC is my top preference; UNC and ECU are tied for second, and the others are all tied for third.  Hard to really make a 1-6 distinction but location is important for us.  My husband would most likely have to find a new job for every school EXCEPT UNC-CH (I can commute from our current residence, which would be GREAT!).  I also own an empty 2-bedroom condo near ECU, so the convenience is there (husband would still have to find a new job).  So, a lot hanging in the balance for us.  I'm hoping all of the letters come in around the same time so we can compare them all and make the best decision for us if I actually get in more than one place.  

I'll be looking forward to hearing your results as well as the others on here!