SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Hey!

I am actually not a CSD student. If I end up choosing MGH, I plan on taking "Science Summer" which starts June 6th. Are you a CSD undergrad? I think MGH has opportunities in both clinical and education settings, although, I believe there are more clinical opportunities available . I look forward to meeting you on April 2nd!

I'm not a CSD student either but since I can't move to Boston until the fall I am going to take my remaining 3 prereq courses online this summer. It's kind of a bummer because I have no idea what online classes will be like but its great that MGH accepts the credits and that I would be done with prereqs and ready to start in the fall after taking those 3 more (unlike BU which as 8 prereqs, yikes). I'll see you April 2nd though!

For those who are nervous about moving to Boston, yes it is expensive, but I came here for undergrad and I plan to stick around because it's a really great city! Public transportation makes it possible to live in less expensive areas and commute to school easily. I used to live in a teeny tiny absurdly expensive 1 BR downtown, but now I live outside the city in an enormous lovely 2 BR/ 2 BA with parking and heat, right by the subway for the same price.

For those asking about BU, I took some of my pre-reqs there and did some observations in their clinic. Overall, it seems like a very well-rounded program. I had a few amazing profs who were super passionate and knowledgeable. For some, I think the option to enroll without having all your pre-reqs is a nice thing, although not something I was considering (and an added expense). The enrolled students I met there seemed very happy with the program and seemed to get plenty of personal attention.

Thanks for the info! I am deciding between 2 Boston schools (MGH and BU) so its great to hear about the area. I see that you are going to MGH? Congrats! What do you know about their program and how it differs from BU? I am also wondering where most students live who go to MGH, in Somerville? I haven't visited yet but have heard that MGH is kind of hard to get to, do any T-stops/lines run around there? Thanks!

I'm not a CSD student either but since I can't move to Boston until the fall I am going to take my remaining 3 prereq courses online this summer. It's kind of a bummer because I have no idea what online classes will be like but its great that MGH accepts the credits and that I would be done with prereqs and ready to start in the fall after taking those 3 more (unlike BU which as 8 prereqs, yikes). I'll see you April 2nd though!

Where are you taking your prereq's online? I have to take a few prereq's even though I have a B.A. in Comm disorders for BU. I would like to take mine online in the summer too, but I didn't know what place offers them online.

Thanks.

Well, all of my applications have been returned and now I am trying to decide between Miami of Ohio and University of South Carolina.

I am an Ohio resident, so I would pay in-state tuition at Miami but I received an assistantship from South Carolina.

Miami has a great, smaller program that I really enjoy but I would be commuting from Cincinnati (~50 minutes each way). I've also been in Ohio my whole life, so trying something new is tempting.

I'm just really torn!

I have to make a decision by Friday, April 1 and I am FREAKING out. If anyone has any perspectives on these programs, I'd love to hear about them.

Just got accepted to ETSU. I won't be attending though; not really interested in their program.

Congrats even though you are not attending. Weird thing is though... I emailed them yesterday and they said they would be sending decisions out mid-late April? I hope I hear soon too! I have to tell my other schools by April 15th.

GPA- 3.81

GRE- 1040

I completed research for a professor involving fluency disorders for a book he's writing. I also have volunteer experience in the field. A few other extracurriculars and I've been a camp counselor for 4 summers.

would you mind sharing your stats/a little about yourself?

Hi everyone, I was waitlisted at my top choice. I was wondering is there anything you can do to improve your chances of being picked off the waitlist. Should I send more info about work/volunteer experience, a letter how it is my top choice. Or is there nothing I can do and JUST WAIT? lol

GPA- 3.81

GRE- 1040

I completed research for a professor involving fluency disorders for a book he's writing. I also have volunteer experience in the field. A few other extracurriculars and I've been a camp counselor for 4 summers.

Thank you. That sounds very similar to me. I really hope I find out soon. I am still confused about why they told me I wouldn't hear for a while in the email yesterday. Have you been there or do you know anything about the program?

Edited by kroge23

That's about 85% correct at this point!! I get a better feeling about it every day, but we'll see after the Memphis Open House on Friday.

That's awesome! Everyone seems to have the same feeling about the program...and it's looking like I'll have an easy decision! Enjoy Memphis, I've also heard great things about their program

Thank you for the info! Are there any places you would recommend for an apartment/housing? I wouldn't mind living outside the city. If I decided to drive to BU from off campus housing would that be possible or is there too much traffic going into the city?

Most BU undergrads live in Allston or Brighton, which is close to campus, inexpensive, and very eclectic. However, it's not necessarily the classiest place to live- depending on your location, there can be lots of parties, noise, etc. My sister in law commuted into BU for work from Cambridge (which is an awesome place to live!) and though she grew to hate the public transportation system, it was very doable. (She even drove once in a while, which she totally preferred over the subway.) I think driving is definitely a possibility, especially considering that your classes may not necessarily be at rush hour times. Learning to drive around the city is a challenge, but I eventually figured it out. I assume you can get a parking permit of some sort and there's also metered parking throughout the campus.

If you'd like to live near public transportation, but not necessarily right near campus, Brookline and Newton are nice areas to live on the green line (which is the same subway line as BU). If public transportation is less of a concern, consider Watertown or Waltham.

Thanks for the info! I am deciding between 2 Boston schools (MGH and BU) so its great to hear about the area. I see that you are going to MGH? Congrats! What do you know about their program and how it differs from BU? I am also wondering where most students live who go to MGH, in Somerville? I haven't visited yet but have heard that MGH is kind of hard to get to, do any T-stops/lines run around there? Thanks!

Thank you! I visited MGH and I was so impressed. It was already my top choice because of the medical emphasis and the fact that I could choose a concentration, but when I visited, it really solidified everything for me. The facilities are super modern and Marjorie Nicholas took me around to meet a bunch of staff members, which felt very personal and genuine. (At other school visits I felt very "wooed," but at MGH it just felt like a comfortable, friendly environment.) I also know that MGH is known for being very rigorous and it is one of the only schools in Boston with a major emphasis on Voice Disorders and the accompanying research, which is what I want to pursue. The professors seem to be true experts in the classes they teach (though that also seems to be the case at BU). For me, getting out of a big university is something I am looking for, but BU has all of the the resources and research of that setting, which is certainly good for potential grad students who want that. I guess BU also does a lot of work with Aphasia, if that's an area you're interested in. One of my profs at BU was also a pretty big name in fluency disorders, I think.

MGH is located in the Charlestown Navy Yard, which is a bit tough to reach by public transportation. However, the MGH hospital runs a shuttle service between the Navy Yard, the North Station T stop (orange line), and the main hospital campus, which is right by the Charles MGH T stop (red line). I live near the red line in Somerville, so commuting shouldn't be too terrible with the red line + shuttle and would even be pretty easy if I drive. I don't know where most students live, but anywhere on the orange or red lines seems doable.

Shuttle Info: http://www.partners.org/ourhosp/ourhosp_shuttle.html

I was pleasantly surprised by my online classes for prereq. Of course, you get out of them what you put in. I took two last summer at Utah State university, and enjoyed the experience.

Where are you taking your prereq's online? I have to take a few prereq's even though I have a B.A. in Comm disorders for BU. I would like to take mine online in the summer too, but I didn't know what place offers them online.

Thanks.

I got the idea from Marjorie Nichols (an associate director/professor at MGH) who recommended the Utah State U. and Ohio State U. and Longwood University programs. From what I have researched so far it looks like Utah State U is the best fit for the ones I need so far. It looks pretty to navigate too and is really cheap which is great.

Thank you! I visited MGH and I was so impressed. It was already my top choice because of the medical emphasis and the fact that I could choose a concentration, but when I visited, it really solidified everything for me. The facilities are super modern and Marjorie Nicholas took me around to meet a bunch of staff members, which felt very personal and genuine. (At other school visits I felt very "wooed," but at MGH it just felt like a comfortable, friendly environment.) I also know that MGH is known for being very rigorous and it is one of the only schools in Boston with a major emphasis on Voice Disorders and the accompanying research, which is what I want to pursue. The professors seem to be true experts in the classes they teach (though that also seems to be the case at BU). For me, getting out of a big university is something I am looking for, but BU has all of the the resources and research of that setting, which is certainly good for potential grad students who want that. I guess BU also does a lot of work with Aphasia, if that's an area you're interested in. One of my profs at BU was also a pretty big name in fluency disorders, I think.

MGH is located in the Charlestown Navy Yard, which is a bit tough to reach by public transportation. However, the MGH hospital runs a shuttle service between the Navy Yard, the North Station T stop (orange line), and the main hospital campus, which is right by the Charles MGH T stop (red line). I live near the red line in Somerville, so commuting shouldn't be too terrible with the red line + shuttle and would even be pretty easy if I drive. I don't know where most students live, but anywhere on the orange or red lines seems doable.

Shuttle Info: http://www.partners....sp_shuttle.html

Thank you so much for all of those great insights! Since I'm not a CSD undergrad I'm not sure what I want to specialize in yet which makes it a bit trickier. But every thing I have heard from MGH has been really positive so far which is really reassuring. Hopefully visiting will really solidify my decision. Thanks again, all that info is really helpful!

I was pleasantly surprised by my online classes for prereq. Of course, you get out of them what you put in. I took two last summer at Utah State university, and enjoyed the experience.

Oh that is so great to hear! I would be taking mine at Utah State as well. Can you just kind of pick when you want to get on and do it or are there set hours?

Oh that is so great to hear! I would be taking mine at Utah State as well. Can you just kind of pick when you want to get on and do it or are there set hours?

Utah State offers all of their prereq courses every semester, including the summers. There is no set time for the lectures. They are posted so you can listen to them on your own time, so long as you meet homework/quiz deadlines. An important thing to know: you do have to have all of your exams proctored by a qualified official. I go to my local library to do this for free. For exams you usually get a 3-7 day window to take it with your proctor.

I'm taking my final 2 prereq classes through them now and would definitely recommend them. I'm not a fan of online classes in general, but the professors at USU are very responsive and the lectures are well done--some professors even post MP3's of their lectures so folks can download them and listen on their ipods, etc., when it's more convenient.

For more information on their online classes, check out their website: https://comd.usu.edu...negrad-overview

I also found Brynne Davies, a postbacc advisor for these classes, to be very responsive and helpful: brynne.davies@usu.edu

Edited by FutureSLP

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the cost of tuition/housing/books/transportation etc. per year at the graduate programs? I'm referring specifically to people who will take out loans to fund the education. For those of you receiving some sort of "free" grants, good for you, but I'm not talking about you guys. Hahaha.

Oh, and if this is anyone's second master's degree, I would LOVE to hear from you on how you're dealing with this.

But back to my question, do you believe this is all worth it? It's a huge investment to my future but the cost is so high.

Edited by gradstudent84

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the cost of tuition/housing/books/transportation etc. per year at the graduate programs? I'm referring specifically to people who will take out loans to fund the education. For those of you receiving some sort of "free" grants, good for you, but I'm not talking about you guys. Hahaha.

Oh, and if this is anyone's second master's degree, I would LOVE to hear from you on how you're dealing with this.

But back to my question, do you believe this is all worth it? It's a huge investment to my future but the cost is so high.

Oh don't worry, I'm freaking for sure. Yes I have one free ride, but I checked the total cost of attendance at my dream school and it's $55K a year. Yikes! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the place and can't seem to find anything wrong with it on any level, but sitting on $100K post-graduation seems very, very scary to me. I mean a little debt isn't the end of the world but I'd like to be able to have nice things and not be in debt 10-20+ years...Anyone else in the same boat?

Oh don't worry, I'm freaking for sure. Yes I have one free ride, but I checked the total cost of attendance at my dream school and it's $55K a year. Yikes! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the place and can't seem to find anything wrong with it on any level, but sitting on $100K post-graduation seems very, very scary to me. I mean a little debt isn't the end of the world but I'd like to be able to have nice things and not be in debt 10-20+ years...Anyone else in the same boat?

And the cost of living alone is so large- I've decided on Emerson and Boston is sooo steep! Where I am now, I'm used to being able to comfortably afford my own space. Not going to be the case in the next few years.

Honestly, It depends on how much debt, if its worth it or not... For my own personal situation, graduate school without any type of assistantship will cost about 30,000 in state... However, I am still hopeful for funding. I don't think that is too much, but I still have undergrad loan debt, so its not an ideal situation. Would I pay more than that for this degree... probably not. I mean to be real, student loan repayment sucks (having to do it now with my hubby). However, every person is different for what they think is okay in terms of amount of debt. I just keep searching for funding, hoping I will find something for at least half of my graduate school. I am definitely overwhelmed by it!

Yes, agreed with the other poster. I was able to have a principal at a local school proctor for me, and that worked out well, as my library here doesn't offer proctoring services.