SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I GOT INTO UNC-CHAPEL HILL!! I had a missed call on my phone while I was at work, came home quickly checked the computer, saw the acceptance and immediately called the professor back! YAY

They actually call everyone who is accepted? Wow. How did that conversation go?

They actually call everyone who is accepted? Wow. How did that conversation go?

Since that post was from 2011, I'm pretty sure it's changed. I believe that they now send out e-mail acceptances.  :)

I thought the conversation I had with the department head went well, but the potential adviser left me on uncertain ground.  She's seems fairly kind & incredibly well-versed in her field (obviously).  But she also came down really hard on my specific interest (working with non-native English speaking adults who have neurogenic brain disorders).  She told me I was getting ahead of myself, I couldn't know so specifically yet what I was interested in & passed along several sources that would introduce me to the field (most of which I've already reviewed).

It took me by surprise, especially as she seemed to think it meant I wasn't open to learning across the life cycle.  I very much am open to exploring the field as a whole - but I'm 30.  I've been in the work force for several years.  I can say with almost 100% certainty that I don't want build a career on working with children.

I thought that part of applying to graduate school was to be open to learning & experiences while still having a fairly definite idea of what you wanted to do.  Did anyone else run into similar issues?

I hope this isn't typical. I'm in a similar boat as you - a bit older than the average student, have had a career going for the past 7 years that I'm now leaving, and I'm interested in adult neurogenic disorders and the neural bases of communication. I went on and on about this interest in my statements. I hope that won't be a negative. Most faculty I spoke with during the process seemed to be encouraging of this interest, so hopefully your experience was an anomaly.

I am interested in learning about all aspects of this field, but, like you, I have been in the working world long enough to know what I like and what I don't. I know a school setting is not my thing, and I know I love brains.

I only applied to four schools. I am almost done with my CSD prereqs, so my backup plan if I don't get in anywhere involves (among other things) a year of racking up math, biology, chemistry, psychology, and neuroscience credits, plus maybe a language or some computer science, in order to be a better brain researcher in the future.

Not sure if anyone else on this thread is applying to TCU, but I just found out their committee doesn't even meet until Spring Break (March 11-15).  If nothing else, this application process is teaching me the value of patience :) 

Not sure if anyone else on this thread is applying to TCU, but I just found out their committee doesn't even meet until Spring Break (March 11-15).  If nothing else, this application process is teaching me the value of patience :)

I'm trying to learn patience... too bad I am just an impatient person!  <_<

@ talkitout---did you apply to Emerson via CSDCAS?  If so, have you received any sort of confirmation or anything to enter their portal?  I read on their website that we should be receiving some sort of link to create a portal id, but I haven't heard anything yet...  
I called the graduate department to get my ID for access to the portal. You have one even if you applied via CSDCAS.

I'm trying to learn patience... too bad I am just an impatient person!  <_<

Exactly!  I'm having a hard time because I sent all of mine in back in late November/early December.  One of my apps isn't even "due" until Feb 15th :( I try to keep myself distracted but I always end up lurking on here/SLP Facebook groups, obsessively checking my email, etc :)

I hope this isn't typical. I'm in a similar boat as you - a bit older than the average student, have had a career going for the past 7 years that I'm now leaving, and I'm interested in adult neurogenic disorders and the neural bases of communication. I went on and on about this interest in my statements. I hope that won't be a negative. Most faculty I spoke with during the process seemed to be encouraging of this interest, so hopefully your experience was an anomaly.

I am interested in learning about all aspects of this field, but, like you, I have been in the working world long enough to know what I like and what I don't. I know a school setting is not my thing, and I know I love brains.

I only applied to four schools. I am almost done with my CSD prereqs, so my backup plan if I don't get in anywhere involves (among other things) a year of racking up math, biology, chemistry, psychology, and neuroscience credits, plus maybe a language or some computer science, in order to be a better brain researcher in the future.

Yes - I'm absolutely fascinated by the brain & the idea of being a brain & communication disorders researcher sounds so, so exciting.

The more I hear, the more I think I had a one-off bad experience.  It is making me reconsider this school as my top choice, which is a bit disappointing, given that I've only applied to 2.

At least I'll be better prepared if I have to do a second round of applications next year.  And, if I end up in that boat, I'll be applying to schools farther away as well.  I'm pretty sure my relationship will be able to handle a little bit of distance for a few years.

Since that post was from 2011, I'm pretty sure it's changed. I believe that they now send out e-mail acceptances.  :)

Woah, I just about had a heart attack. UNC might change the status in the application portal online but its emailed and probably postal, too. I about lost my stomach when I read the quoted post that someone got accepted to UNC already.... Too early, according to last years results postings, which look like the earliest is feb 28th.

Exactly!  I'm having a hard time because I sent all of mine in back in late November/early December.  One of my apps isn't even "due" until Feb 15th :( I try to keep myself distracted but I always end up lurking on here/SLP Facebook groups, obsessively checking my email, etc :)

Me too!!! I am trying to find things to keep me busy... Besides teaching full time, taking an online class, and watching my email and mailbox like a hawk.. I have not been historically patient with things like this.... Not even the first time I did a masters ... I asked the committee the next day if I got in (it was a continuing undergrad to grad program, so I knew I was already in anyway... ). This one has been harder to wait because I don't really know anyone and I am coming with prerequisites from out of field... The nerves are intense!

I absolutely agree that it was just a one time bad experience. Everything I've heard from schools is positive regarding a little bit of focus. It makes you stand out compared to the hundreds of girls listing "school speech pathologist" as their career choice. While admirable, it is probably boring to read that over and over. Spice it up a little!

I wrote mine about hearing loss/cochlear implants/aural rehab and I think it can only make me a unique candidate.

Don't worry too much- one person shouldn't offset your top choice school. If everyone and thing you encountered otherwise was positive, it may be worth considering!

Yes - I'm absolutely fascinated by the brain & the idea of being a brain & communication disorders researcher sounds so, so exciting.

The more I hear, the more I think I had a one-off bad experience.  It is making me reconsider this school as my top choice, which is a bit disappointing, given that I've only applied to 2.

At least I'll be better prepared if I have to do a second round of applications next year.  And, if I end up in that boat, I'll be applying to schools farther away as well.  I'm pretty sure my relationship will be able to handle a little bit of distance for a few years.

chellinchen, if you have to go through the application process again (hopefully not!), I think you should look at schools like UW, Northwestern, and MGH--they're in cities with diverse populations and seem to offer great research opportunities and chances to work in clinical settings.

Of course I'm not entirely sure what prereqs you've taken or precisely what the schools require for admissions, but I think you'd be a good fit at many schools that don't seem to have an issue with a focused student.

For those of you accepted at GWU today, when did you apply?

I submitted my app in late December. Took me longer because I had to chop down my personal statement to so few words. 

I'm not sure if they notify everyone on the same day :/ you can use the search results tool and see what it was like last cycle. I know a lot of schools stagger their acceptances though. Do not panic!

Woah, I just about had a heart attack. UNC might change the status in the application portal online but its emailed and probably postal, too. I about lost my stomach when I read the quoted post that someone got accepted to UNC already.... Too early, according to last years results postings, which look like the earliest is feb 28th.

Haha, sorry! I fetched that from way back using search results. I'm just really curious about what they would say if they called you, particularly since they had professors calling instead of a staff person.

a couple of you mentioned slp facebook groups that you check..would you mind sharing what these are?? thanks!

There's a big one called IMAGAS, one called "SLP Grad Applicants- From USU and Beyond" (mainly online applicants, but all are welcome!), and one called "Future SLPs".  IMAGAS seems to be the biggest/most popular, and the Grad Applicant one is really busy now. They all have super helpful people :) 

I think I'm going insane...  Is anyone else constantly (like...hourly) checking the results page to see what schools started admitting applicants?  Pathetic, I know.  But I can't help it!

I am guilty of the above lol.... It really is pretty stressful!  :blink:

I'm definitely going crazy checking the results...especially now that people have heard back from GW. So nervous.

Hi! I realized we applied to three of the same schools, have you received any emails from MGH about receiving your application from CSDCAS? I just received one from U Pitt and Rush so far. Thanks! BTW congrats on your acceptance to Emerson!!

Edited by hopefulslp88