SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Steph,

I heard from GWU on Feb 9th and had all of my application materials in by the end of October. I am surprised that you did not hear from them. I was notified by email. I would definitely send them an email or call. It can't hurt. It's tough to still be waiting at this point, b/c it's impossible to make a decision without having all of the info. I like GW, but don't think I will go b/c it is the most expensive of the 3 I am seriously considering. Taking public transportation there from Maryland would be almost an hour each way! I think if reputation does not matter and how I perform matters more, then I should go to the place that fits my life the best. Towson is also an hour from me. I am leaning towards Loyola b/c for the first year I'd only have classes 2 days per week and for the 2nd and 3rd years the Graduate Campus is closer to my house. The cost of Towson is very tempting though...but the schedule and distance would mean a lot more sacrifice. I really appreciate your input and insight into these programs. Let me know how it goes with GW and where you end up deciding to go. Did you apply to the 2 year or 3 year programs? I applied for the 3 year ones.

Hi Heather...Congratulations on your acceptances! I too applied to the Loyola 3 yr program and had my interview on Monday past. I'm currently working outside of the US and was wondering when did you hear from Loyola, and did you hear by email?

I'm on pins and needles as I basically, naively applied to only 3 programs. I was turned down flat by one very early on, had the interview with Loyola and haven't heard from the other one. I'm hanging on by a fingernail now :-)

Edited by crlynchn

I received an acceptance letter in the mail from Loyola on Friday. I wish you the best of luck. Let me know how things turn out for you.

Hi Heather...Congratulations on your acceptances! I too applied to the Loyola 3 yr program and had my interview on Monday past. I'm currently working outside of the US and was wondering when did you hear from Loyola, and did you hear by email?

I'm on pins and needles as I basically, naively applied to only 3 programs. I was turned down flat by one very early on, had the interview with Loyola and haven't heard from the other one. I'm hanging on by a fingernail now :-)

Hi Msarataj:

I just noticed you were also accepted to the 3yr foundation program at Loyola as was Heather. My same question - did you hear from them by e-mail or post? I just had my interview a few days ago and I'm outside the US. I'm dying to know if I'm in or not so that I can decide when to come 'home'.

Edited by crlynchn

I received an acceptance letter in the mail from Loyola on Friday. I wish you the best of luck. Let me know how things turn out for you.

Thanks. I sure will. You're in the Foundation program, right? Do you know how many students they'll be accepting?

Edited by crlynchn

Hello fellow MGH prospects : ) I'm going to the info session April 2nd too. I am deciding between MGH and BU which I'll be visiting that weekend too. Are you guys both CSD undergrads? I'm not so I am not sure yet what area I want to specialize in. kroge23, did you get the impression that there are opportunities for both clinical and education settings when you visited?

Yes, there definitely are opportunities for both. As a matter of fact... I think there is a list somewhere on their website that shows a bunch of hospitals and schools and many more. I am a CDS undergrad from Plattsburgh State University in NY. Look forward to meeting you on the 2nd!

To those going to the BU open house, keep us posted. :) I'm seriously leaning toward BU, but distance (I'm in Seattle), cost and being on a quarter system (so my classes are starting this week) are preventing me from going but I'm still really curious to hear what it's like. Also potentially looking for a roommate in Boston, haha! :)

To those going to the BU open house, keep us posted. :) I'm seriously leaning toward BU, but distance (I'm in Seattle), cost and being on a quarter system (so my classes are starting this week) are preventing me from going but I'm still really curious to hear what it's like. Also potentially looking for a roommate in Boston, haha! :)

I'll be going and will let you know how it is!

I am making the same decision, but also have Towson to chose from. Which way are you leaning? I am looking for input on these programs as well as info regarding their reputation and placements.

Hi Heather, Steph and Carlyn,

Thanks for all the added insight and advice. I too heard from GWU early on -- February 8th. I'd definitely contact them, and Loyola, if you haven't heard from them yet. I received my acceptance in the mail for the 3-year program yesterday.

The programs have such different appeal for me. I think it's time to sit down and write out a pro/con list. Unfortunately, I think GWU asks for a decision by April 1st, otherwise I'd head out on spring break (which is the 11th-15th at the school where I work) to visit the two schools (I'm in California). My boyfriend is from Alexandria and knows the D.C. area very well, his parents live there, etc., so that's a big factor. But GWU is so expensive, even more so than Loyola, and cost of living is also kind of ridiculous in the D.C. metro area. I just don't know!

Good luck to all of you in this stressful process!

For those who are nervous about moving to Boston, yes it is expensive, but I came here for undergrad and I plan to stick around because it's a really great city! Public transportation makes it possible to live in less expensive areas and commute to school easily. I used to live in a teeny tiny absurdly expensive 1 BR downtown, but now I live outside the city in an enormous lovely 2 BR/ 2 BA with parking and heat, right by the subway for the same price.

For those asking about BU, I took some of my pre-reqs there and did some observations in their clinic. Overall, it seems like a very well-rounded program. I had a few amazing profs who were super passionate and knowledgeable. For some, I think the option to enroll without having all your pre-reqs is a nice thing, although not something I was considering (and an added expense). The enrolled students I met there seemed very happy with the program and seemed to get plenty of personal attention.

Hi Heather, Steph and Carlyn,

Thanks for all the added insight and advice. I too heard from GWU early on -- February 8th. I'd definitely contact them, and Loyola, if you haven't heard from them yet. I received my acceptance in the mail for the 3-year program yesterday.

The programs have such different appeal for me. I think it's time to sit down and write out a pro/con list. Unfortunately, I think GWU asks for a decision by April 1st, otherwise I'd head out on spring break (which is the 11th-15th at the school where I work) to visit the two schools (I'm in California). My boyfriend is from Alexandria and knows the D.C. area very well, his parents live there, etc., so that's a big factor. But GWU is so expensive, even more so than Loyola, and cost of living is also kind of ridiculous in the D.C. metro area. I just don't know!

Good luck to all of you in this stressful process!

Msartaj,

Thank you. I'll let you all know how it turns out for me. With any luck, our paths will cross!

Hi Msarataj:

I just noticed you were also accepted to the 3yr foundation program at Loyola as was Heather. My same question - did you hear from them by e-mail or post? I just had my interview a few days ago and I'm outside the US. I'm dying to know if I'm in or not so that I can decide when to come 'home'.

Postal mail not email

Yes, I applied to the 3 year program. For the Foundation Program, my understanding is that they were interviewing 30 people for 15 slots. I don't know how many apps they received.

Thanks. I sure will. You're in the Foundation program, right? Do you know how many students they'll be accepting?

Yes, I applied to the 3 year program. For the Foundation Program, my understanding is that they were interviewing 30 people for 15 slots. I don't know how many apps they received.

I hear they had 300 applicants to the program. So that means they interviewd only 10%?!

Edited by crlynchn

Steph,

I heard from GWU on Feb 9th and had all of my application materials in by the end of October. I am surprised that you did not hear from them. I was notified by email. I would definitely send them an email or call. It can't hurt. It's tough to still be waiting at this point, b/c it's impossible to make a decision without having all of the info. I like GW, but don't think I will go b/c it is the most expensive of the 3 I am seriously considering. Taking public transportation there from Maryland would be almost an hour each way! I think if reputation does not matter and how I perform matters more, then I should go to the place that fits my life the best. Towson is also an hour from me. I am leaning towards Loyola b/c for the first year I'd only have classes 2 days per week and for the 2nd and 3rd years the Graduate Campus is closer to my house. The cost of Towson is very tempting though...but the schedule and distance would mean a lot more sacrifice. I really appreciate your input and insight into these programs. Let me know how it goes with GW and where you end up deciding to go. Did you apply to the 2 year or 3 year programs? I applied for the 3 year ones.

Heather,

I just emailed Bamdad and he emailed me telling me I am on hold list. I said that I didn't receive anything so he is looking into it. This is NOT the first problem I have had with GWU application process and it's compltetly disrespectful. I put a lot of time into my application. Why can't they do the same.

I hear you about drive time. I live in burtonsville and although I can get to Towson in 35 minutes w/o traffic, it could take me 2 hours in traffic...ugh..same with GW. Loyola is also very close to me!

I applied to 2 yr programs.

Let me know what you decide!

Has anybody talked to University of Arizona? I haven't heard a thing from them (although on the results page it looks like two people have) and they said they would be sending decisions several weeks ago...

Has anybody talked to University of Arizona? I haven't heard a thing from them (although on the results page it looks like two people have) and they said they would be sending decisions several weeks ago...

I received my acceptance around the 15th. However, I did get an email a few days later saying they had a problem with the mailing system and a lot of letters were sent to the wrong adddress. Did you get that email? If not, its worth calling ythe office, the lady is very helpful.

For those who are nervous about moving to Boston, yes it is expensive, but I came here for undergrad and I plan to stick around because it's a really great city! Public transportation makes it possible to live in less expensive areas and commute to school easily. I used to live in a teeny tiny absurdly expensive 1 BR downtown, but now I live outside the city in an enormous lovely 2 BR/ 2 BA with parking and heat, right by the subway for the same price.

For those asking about BU, I took some of my pre-reqs there and did some observations in their clinic. Overall, it seems like a very well-rounded program. I had a few amazing profs who were super passionate and knowledgeable. For some, I think the option to enroll without having all your pre-reqs is a nice thing, although not something I was considering (and an added expense). The enrolled students I met there seemed very happy with the program and seemed to get plenty of personal attention.

Thank you for the info! Are there any places you would recommend for an apartment/housing? I wouldn't mind living outside the city. If I decided to drive to BU from off campus housing would that be possible or is there too much traffic going into the city?

To all prospective MGH students:

I'm from Hong Kong so obviously I won't be able to make the information session due to geographic constraints. I would be really grateful if someone could give me a brief idea of what happened, especially if they mentioned anything specifically aimed at international students.

Thank you!!!

Hello fellow MGH prospects : ) I'm going to the info session April 2nd too. I am deciding between MGH and BU which I'll be visiting that weekend too. Are you guys both CSD undergrads? I'm not so I am not sure yet what area I want to specialize in. kroge23, did you get the impression that there are opportunities for both clinical and education settings when you visited?

Hey!

I am actually not a CSD student. If I end up choosing MGH, I plan on taking "Science Summer" which starts June 6th. Are you a CSD undergrad? I think MGH has opportunities in both clinical and education settings, although, I believe there are more clinical opportunities available . I look forward to meeting you on April 2nd!

I received my acceptance around the 15th. However, I did get an email a few days later saying they had a problem with the mailing system and a lot of letters were sent to the wrong adddress. Did you get that email? If not, its worth calling ythe office, the lady is very helpful.

Thanks SLP_419! Did she give you your admissions decision over the phone then?

Checking in with the couple people on this board that applied for Texas State. Did you hear anything at all yet? Yes/No/Waitlist. Nobody has posted to the results page, so I'm wondering if they haven't sent things out or if there just is nobody who frequents this site that applied there!