SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Just to get an idea - what kinds of specialty interests do y'all have? I sort of feel torn between literacy/early intervention and neurogenic issues. Closely related, I know!

My primary interest is dysphagia, but I also have recently taken an interest in voice therapy.

Just to get an idea - what kinds of specialty interests do y'all have? I sort of feel torn between literacy/early intervention and neurogenic issues. Closely related, I know!

My primary interest is child language and literacy, particularly working with kids in the 2-7 year old age range (which I know kind of splits early intervention and elementary school). I also really find AACs interesting since I think they are going to start to have more and more of a role in children with language disorders lives. I am convinced that this interest is part of why I got into GSU. They told me while I was there that they were excited that I was interested in child language and literacy (one of the people interviewing me even had this as her speciality) because a lot of people are more interested in their aphasia lab. I wouldn't worry about not nailing down your interest though. I know a lot of people who change their minds about what population they want to work with while in grad school. And as we all know if you graduate and get your C's you can change populations 20 years after you graduate.

I want to work with people who have neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's, Huntington's and ALS. I mainly think I want to do voice therapy with this population but I probably won't know until I am in school.

I'm interested in adult neurogenic disorders as well as voice disorders. I work in voice and speech research for individuals with Parkinson's disease now so that has really sparked my interest in voice disorders. I'm also interested in dysphagia, though to a slightly lesser degree.

Off topic but someone posted they got rejected from Columbia Teacher's College this morning. I tried to ask if the decision was in the email or if they were told to login to their application or next step page and it was deleted. Just wondering how they found out so if it was you and you are reading this could you let me know!

Thanks so much!

I'm very interested in dysphagia and voice disorders. I really would love to be trained in FEES down the line.

Same here, and I'm also interested in working with cleft lip/palate... Of course, this might change while I'm in grad school.

Edited by leesta

Developmental disabilities, TBI, stroke victims, apraxia, dysarthria, disorders like Parkinsons/ALS...

My primary interests are dysphagia and neurogenic com disorders, aphasia in particular. Ive recently found myself really fascinated by Autism though, so hopefully will be able to explore that more in the year to come.

I am just dying to know something at this point. I REALLY want to hear from Vanderbilt, and I was very hopeful about today since I saw that people found out on this date last year. The waiting continues....

My primary interests are dysphagia and neurogenic com disorders.

Anyone know when we're supposed to hear from Auburn? Not my top choice but I'd still like to know! I wouldn't be surprised if it's pretty late considering they were so behind when it came to undergrad acceptance/scholarships/everything else.

Have you asked them about your likelihood of getting an assistantship your second year though? I know at UW-Seattle for example, it basically does not happen that first years get assistantship positions, however you CAN apply for them during your second year. Even if you only had an assistantship your second year, it could cut your costs down to a more affordable rate.

I know at my undergrad, we never had levelers (out of field applicants completing their pre-req work) in TA positions, but some did get hired in research labs, either paid hourly or through work-study. Then, as they went through the program and finished more coursework they could apply for other positions.

It could be worth asking the program directors at the programs you are admitted to. You don't want to write someone off because of cost without exploring other options, especially if it's a school you otherwise love :)

Thanks, SLP-Allie! I asked at my top school and they did say that getting a position working in a lab the second year was a possibility. I'm trying to stay positive and hope that pans out! :)

Off topic but someone posted they got rejected from Columbia Teacher's College this morning. I tried to ask if the decision was in the email or if they were told to login to their application or next step page and it was deleted. Just wondering how they found out so if it was you and you are reading this could you let me know!

Thanks so much!

Another person just posted their acceptance to Columbia Teacher's College and said that they just checked their application and the decision was there, but that they didn't get any email.

Has anyone ever head of someone transferring programs? Do any programs even allow this? Just curious...

I had a friend who transferred from Boston University to Wayne State University.. but this was about 6-7 years ago. I think she did her first semester at BU, and then transferred because she got married and moved to Detroit to be with her husband. But on most of the websites I've seen, they say that they can accept a maximum of 8-12 credit hours to be transferred in -- so it does seem like you have to transfer early or retake courses.

I saw on the results page that Purdue was notifying by phone... I just got an email from them though! Be checking those emails, good luck everyone! :)

I got an email from them this morning too! I'm so excited! It's my first acceptance! Does anyone think they'll be attending Purdue in the fall? I'm leaning towards it because of instate tuition.

Edited by trina

I am just dying to know something at this point. I REALLY want to hear from Vanderbilt, and I was very hopeful about today since I saw that people found out on this date last year. The waiting continues....

My primary interests are dysphagia and neurogenic com disorders.

I am in the same boat as you! I did not apply to Vanderbilt, but I have not heard back from any of the 3 schools I applied to (no one has, so at least I know it's not just me)! It is getting so old waiting!! I cannot wait to hear back!

I'm really interested in language disorders. I'd love to work with bilingual and multicultural populations, that's why I applied to many programs that offer a bilingual track. I'm also interested in fluency disorders (stuttering), dysarthria (Cerebral Palsy) and neurogenic disorders (aphasia and more recently, dysphagia).

I just received this email:

"This email is to inform you that your University of Oregon application for the Communication Disorders and Sciences continues to be in review.

I expect to mail letters of acceptance and denial by mid-April.

Thank you for your patience and good luck on your review!"

Ohhh the wait is killer!

Edited by SLP1129

I am interested in chronic fluency disorders in the adult population. I am also interested in traumatic brain injury and neurogenic disorders (global aphasia).

I am happy to have just been accepted to UConn. Does anyone know if there is an option to take any courses over the summer? It seems like the plan excludes summer work. Maybe we can do a practicum?

I think that the diversity of specialties in this field are absolutely fascinating! Thanks to all of you for sharing. The research project with which I've been assisting has definitely influenced me, but my grandfather has primary progressive aphasia. There is definitely a possibility that I will want to do everything by the time I've completed clinical rotations!

I also didn't expect to be as "into" the research process as what I am. Although I can't imagine giving up clinical practice completely.

Congrats to everyone who got good news today! Nothing for me but a gas bill and a Valupak. Boo!

Edited by WannabeSLP

Another person just posted their acceptance to Columbia Teacher's College and said that they just checked their application and the decision was there, but that they didn't get any email.

I just logged in and it didn't say anything, except for that my application was complete. Did anyone else see that they were accepted or rejected on the website?

Omg!!!!!!!!! I was accepted! I really didn't think it was going to happen since I had ZERO prereqs, but it did. Accepted to Northern Arizona's Leveler Track. It's one of my top picks for schools and I'm so (times infinity) happy/relieved/excited/about to vomit.

My primary interest is autism (that is why I got interested in the field) and also literacy/language. I could see changing my mind once I get into grad school, though! I really loved the observations that I did with clients with aphasia, which I didn't expect, so it's hard to know what will end up actually catching my interest the most.

Congrats to everyone who got acceptances today!

Omg!!!!!!!!! I was accepted! I really didn't think it was going to happen since I had ZERO prereqs, but it did. Accepted to Northern Arizona's Leveler Track. It's one of my top picks for schools and I'm so (times infinity) happy/relieved/excited/about to vomit.

congratulations! that's awesome news! applying again with prereqs completed would have been a hassle. (i had to, but i'm so glad the second time proved lucky for me.) and seriously, i feel so much calmer now with one acceptance. now i won't mind if the other schools take forever, don't get back to me, or reject me. lol. i was ready to jump off a cliff (figuratively) up until this morning -- the stress was totally getting to me.

Edited by trina