SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I have pretty much given up on getting good news from UCF. I just checked the admissions video on their website, and it stated that they usually fill the class with the first round of acceptances. The video says that last year, they sent out 90-100 acceptances and got 70 "yes" responses. Having not received anything from them yet, I'm assuming that I didn't make the cut for the first round. C'est la vie! I know I shouldn't be bummed - I have already been accepted to several programs, a luxury many people don't have - but it still stings!

Have you heard of others receiving acceptances yet? If not, I wouldn't worry about not hearing back from then right now. I honestly wasn't expecting them to send out responses until early April. That's when the were sent last year and the Spring '12 applicants didn't hear back until late Nov/early Dec. And that was for starting early January!! I know that they're later than most schools, so I wouldn't fret.

One of my professors went to Western for her undergrad and spoke highly of her experience. I applied there because she spoke about how involved one of the instructors, Sandra Glista, is with aphasia and aphasia advocacy, which are interests of mine. Someone on the results forum last year mentioned their program is great for those interested in working in school settings and with children.

Did you go to their open house in February? I wish I did, because the acceptance email didn't mention anything about an open house. Did anyone on here attend?

Thanks so much!

Unfortunately I was unable to attend because I am attending school too far away. I know on CSDCAS it says that there will be an open house in the summer at some point. Too bad it isn't before we have to let them know.

Congrats on being accepted :)

I feel like sometimes schools will reject you if your stats are TOO high. It's kinda odd but I can (sort of) understand the reasoning behind it. Grad schools talk to each other and if they know you have a good chance of being accepted at a higher ranked, "better" school they won't bother sending an acceptance to someone who will turn them down. I know that if you apply from UW (with high stats) to western your chances of getting in to western are really low (or they have been in the past), because the people on the admissions committee know that people are applying there as a "safety" school. I don't know enough about the schools in FL to know if that is the case with FSU but it wouldn't surprise me. I doubt that the recommendation letter factored in to the decision making. It wasn't that late and schools understand that there are some things that are out of your control. Honestly this whole thing confuses me haha.

Eeeeep! My stats might have been too high? Wow, I just can't win. Truth be told it was my safety school.

Have you heard of others receiving acceptances yet? If not, I wouldn't worry about not hearing back from then right now. I honestly wasn't expecting them to send out responses until early April. That's when the were sent last year and the Spring '12 applicants didn't hear back until late Nov/early Dec. And that was for starting early January!! I know that they're later than most schools, so I wouldn't fret.

Yes, others have received acceptances. Whatever - I need to get over it. I already was accepted to my first choice so I have absolutely nothing to complain about! But thank you for the kind words :)

I have pretty much given up on getting good news from USF. I just checked the admissions video on their website, and it stated that they usually fill the class with the first round of acceptances. The video says that last year, they sent out 90-100 acceptances and got 70 "yes" responses. Having not received anything from them yet, I'm assuming that I didn't make the cut for the first round. C'est la vie! I know I shouldn't be bummed - I have already been accepted to several programs, a luxury many people don't have - but it still stings!

*edited to say USF, not UCF! i switch those two constantly :)

Pangea, you almost gave me a heart attack. I thought you were talking about UCF lol!! Oh the dangers of switching a letter. :P Anywho, good luck with USF. I hope you hear back soon and I hope it's good news!!

Pangea, you almost gave me a heart attack. I thought you were talking about UCF lol!! Oh the dangers of switching a letter. :P Anywho, good luck with USF. I hope you hear back soon and I hope it's good news!!

I'm so sorry for the mix-up - no heart attacks, please! As I said, I mindlessly switch them all of the time. It doesn't help that they are so close to one another (both name and location)

I hope you eventually get good news from UCF!

I'm curious about FSU. According to petersons they have about a 40% acceptance rate (probably slightly lower this year), but USF has a 27% acceptance rate ( I verified this with some faculty there). I would think my stats are at least waitlist-worthy for FSU if USF accepted me 2 days earlier... assuming petersons.com is at least somewhat accurate. This said, one of my professors sent her recommendation letter in late (1/29/12), and FSU's deadline is 1/15 for some weird reason. Does anybody know if this would explain why I was rejected from FSU? I'm not terribly broken up about it; I'm just curious. I mean it couldn't possibly be that competitive.

I agree your stats definitely seem FSU worthy to me! I know that FSU is ranked 18 compared to USF is ranked 46. I don't really know if the rankings factor into the competitiveness of the schools though. Maybe FSU got a huge spike in applicants this year. I don't know but to me it seems like there is no way to explain this process!! I think you can ask the school why you were rejected though, so if it's really bothering you it might be worth the shot to ask FSU why! Congrats on the acceptance to USF though, I heard it's a great program! :) I applied to UF as well.

I was just accepted to the University of New Mexico! I am most likely going to decline and stay in state, but I am shocked that I actually have choices! Just more proof that GPA isn't everything. I had a 3.0 from my undergrad degree in psychology and an absolutely awful senior year GPA, but I did well in my leveling courses and have been gaining experience for the last 4 years. It can be done!

I feel like sometimes schools will reject you if your stats are TOO high. It's kinda odd but I can (sort of) understand the reasoning behind it. Grad schools talk to each other and if they know you have a good chance of being accepted at a higher ranked, "better" school they won't bother sending an acceptance to someone who will turn them down. I know that if you apply from UW (with high stats) to western your chances of getting in to western are really low (or they have been in the past), because the people on the admissions committee know that people are applying there as a "safety" school. I don't know enough about the schools in FL to know if that is the case with FSU but it wouldn't surprise me. I doubt that the recommendation letter factored in to the decision making. It wasn't that late and schools understand that there are some things that are out of your control. Honestly this whole thing confuses me haha.

I was kind of wondering about that. I am doing my undergrad at UF, and the thought crossed my mind that maybe FSU thought that I was hoping to continue there and only applied to FSU as a safety...while in reality I didn't apply to UF at all. I'm okay with the rejection, though- I reeeeally want to go somewhere out of state.

Thanks so much!

Unfortunately I was unable to attend because I am attending school too far away. I know on CSDCAS it says that there will be an open house in the summer at some point. Too bad it isn't before we have to let them know.

Congrats on being accepted :)

Congratulations to you as well! If I can make arrangements to visit, I will message you a recap.

I have pretty much given up on getting good news from USF. I just checked the admissions video on their website, and it stated that they usually fill the class with the first round of acceptances. The video says that last year, they sent out 90-100 acceptances and got 70 "yes" responses. Having not received anything from them yet, I'm assuming that I didn't make the cut for the first round. C'est la vie! I know I shouldn't be bummed - I have already been accepted to several programs, a luxury many people don't have - but it still stings!

*edited to say USF, not UCF! i switch those two constantly :)

Hi Pangea! Congrats on your acceptances elsewhere!!! Unfortunately for me, USF was my top choice and one of only 2 schools I applied to (the other being Emerson, which I assume I'm waitlisted at because I haven't heard anything). This is my 2nd year applying - the first year I aimed a little too high probably haha and got rejected from Columbia and MGH and waitlisted at Emerson. This year, I did more research and decided USF seemed like a much better place for me - I'm from Florida and it would save me tons of $$...not to mention, I liked the program and have taken 2 USF prereqs. Yea, I remember watching that admissions video and thinking the same thing - basically, we have no chance if we're not in the first cut. But I wonder if the first cut is really over. Today I wrote Vivian basically asking if I'm waitlisted, and she said that while they have sent out "some acceptances" they are still not done reviewing. That gave me a little glimmer of hope. But I feel like that's what they tell waitlisted people hahhaa. My waitlisted experience at Emerson left me a little bitter last year since I didn't end up finding out I was officially waitlisted until VERY LATE - like June/July pretty much. I mean - I understand if I'm waitlisted, but I would like to know when I'm actually on the list rather than being told a "decision isn't ready" etc.

I thought I had a good chance at USF this year since I improved my GRE scores and took more prereqs and had more observation hours...but I guess I didn't realize how competitive the field is right now. My GPA's kinda low (3.3 something from Boston University in journalism) but I got all As and Bs throughout college and in my prereqs, some of which I'm still taking. But, I don't have field experience other than observation. And my GREs are average/slightly above avg. So, maybe it won't happen...dunno. If not, I plan to try for UCF in the spring, among other spring schools. Thanks for the feedback! Where will you end up going if USF isn't the one?

To those who are hearing from Temple, where exactly are you checking the status? I know I should just wait to get an email like a normal person but obviously I can't resist. Thanks!

I agree your stats definitely seem FSU worthy to me! I know that FSU is ranked 18 compared to USF is ranked 46. I don't really know if the rankings factor into the competitiveness of the schools though. Maybe FSU got a huge spike in applicants this year. I don't know but to me it seems like there is no way to explain this process!! I think you can ask the school why you were rejected though, so if it's really bothering you it might be worth the shot to ask FSU why! Congrats on the acceptance to USF though, I heard it's a great program! :) I applied to UF as well.

I saw that ranking too (US News I think). I'm not entirely sure what their ranking metrics were though; it might include things like how green the grass is or how pretty the buildings are... who knows. I was told USF had over 450 applicants this year for something like 80 slots (so 17% + the number of people they expect to say no... probably something like 20% acceptance rate). They probably get a lot more applicants than FSU because it's in a reasonably large metro area. A lot the local applicants apply there as their top school and then also less competitve/prestigious schools as back ups (i.e. not UF or FSU). I did do my undergrad in Linguistics at UF though. I was thinking because of the UF/FSU rivalry, people who did their undergrad at one school would pick that school over the other even if they applied to both... I know... despite the fact that UF is waaay better in every single way :rolleyes: . Maybe they anticipate this and pre-emptively reject highly competitive applicants who graduated from UF, but I still think it was the recommendation letter. That whole scenario about being too qualified smacks of being a little self-serving to me, and I doubt that anyone would ever admit that if it were the case anyway. Truth be told if I got into both FSU and UF I'd go to UF, so maybe there's something to it. Good luck with UF... well unless you get in and I don't... j/k.

I saw that ranking too (US News I think). I'm not entirely sure what their ranking metrics were though; it might include things like how green the grass is or how pretty the buildings are... who knows. I was told USF had over 450 applicants this year for something like 80 slots (so 17% + the number of people they expect to say no... probably something like 20% acceptance rate). They probably get a lot more applicants than FSU because it's in a reasonably large metro area. A lot the local applicants apply there as their top school and then also less competitve/prestigious schools as back ups (i.e. not UF or FSU). I did do my undergrad in Linguistics at UF though. I was thinking because of the UF/FSU rivalry, people who did their undergrad at one school would pick that school over the other even if they applied to both... I know... despite the fact that UF is waaay better in every single way :rolleyes: . Maybe they anticipate this and pre-emptively reject highly competitive applicants who graduated from UF, but I still think it was the recommendation letter. That whole scenario about being too qualified smacks of being a little self-serving to me, and I doubt that anyone would ever admit that if it were the case anyway. Truth be told if I got into both FSU and UF I'd go to UF, so maybe there's something to it. Good luck with UF... well unless you get in and I don't... j/k.

hmmm...not trying to start any kind of conspiracy, but it is interesting that we both went to UF for undergrad and were both rejected from FSU...

hmmm...not trying to start any kind of conspiracy, but it is interesting that we both went to UF for undergrad and were both rejected from FSU...

hmm... especially if we both get in everywhere else we applied. What was your major at UF btw?

To those who are hearing from Temple, where exactly are you checking the status? I know I should just wait to get an email like a normal person but obviously I can't resist. Thanks!

I didn't get an e-mail--I just happened to log into the same website where I submitted the application, and my status had changed to from "Complete Ready for Review" to "University Acceptance." Okay, maybe I didn't "just happen" to log in, maybe it was more like I've been checking it every day... :rolleyes:

I'm really interested in their bilingual track and I'm thinking of visiting the school, especially if we hear about funding. Send me a PM if you find out anything!

If USF got over 450 applications, then you're right about them getting more than FSU. I was told FSU had around 350 this year.