Conditional Offer

London-Tokyo

Um, I kind of have a situation that I need some guidance from the GradCafe experts (although keeping most of it private/anonymous).

So, I have a conditional offer from my dream uni. however, there is no possible way for me to achieve the CGPA listed under the condition.

Other than that, I have no other issues, from funding...etc.

So, what should I do? What can I do?

Right now, my only solution is to call the head admissions director to try and explain my case and appeal for a lowered conditional offer (or outright decline...so

at least I can move on to my other apps.)

Really shaken up and nervous...Don't know how to go about this...and yea, I've read a couple of other threads from Google, but I wanted to hear a few others from

GradCafe. Thxl.

Um, I kind of have a situation that I need some guidance from the GradCafe experts (although keeping most of it private/anonymous).

So, I have a conditional offer from my dream uni. however, there is no possible way for me to achieve the CGPA listed under the condition.

Other than that, I have no other issues, from funding...etc.

So, what should I do? What can I do?

Right now, my only solution is to call the head admissions director to try and explain my case and appeal for a lowered conditional offer (or outright decline...so

at least I can move on to my other apps.)

Really shaken up and nervous...Don't know how to go about this...and yea, I've read a couple of other threads from Google, but I wanted to hear a few others from

GradCafe. Thxl.

I'm just guessing, but is the conditional offer to Oxbridge? They seem to have a knack for this sort of thing.

Anyway, if it's literally impossible (and not just really difficult), then contact the secretary of the department/admissions office (whoever gives the official offer) and tell them it's unattainable. They'll go back and change it in about a week. If they gave you an offer, they want you at the school, and it makes no sense to give you an impossible target - otherwise, why not just reject you outright? As I've said elsewhere on here before, I'm at Cambridge doing an MPhil, and a lot of my peers were in exactly your situation and had no problem getting it switched.

Edited by balderdash

I'm just guessing, but is the conditional offer to Oxbridge? They seem to have a knack for this sort of thing.

Anyway, if it's literally impossible (and not just really difficult), then contact the secretary of the department/admissions office (whoever gives the official offer) and tell them it's unattainable. They'll go back and change it in about a week. If they gave you an offer, they want you at the school, and it makes no sense to give you an impossible target - otherwise, why not just reject you outright? As I've said elsewhere on here before, I'm at Cambridge doing an MPhil, and a lot of my peers were in exactly your situation and had no problem getting it switched.

Would it be wise to phone the admissions director directly? Or would it be better to be transferred via the admissions secretary?

And, I'm thinking of calling at 10:10 a.m. London time...God, nervous-wreck right now...and losing sleep...

Edit: But thank you, it does give me some confidence. We will just have to see. (Do you sort of just make your appeal like a mini-interview with the director?)

Edited by London-Tokyo

I would note that graduate programs seem more willing to give out A's since C's basically failing so you should have no trouble having a higher GPA than undergrad...

Hopefully...except, right now my main goal is to wait for another hour, then contact the appropriate offices and negotiate.

It seems quite impossible at the undergrad. level, but more leeway in postgraduate level.

Still nervous...

Edit: Was told to email the director of my program...Which I did, so all I can do now is wait...

Edited by London-Tokyo

Edit: So, I was told by admissions to email the director of my program. Which I did...So, now I guess just wait....

I know it seems hard to believe, but you really have to trust me that it's not a big deal. You're not "negotiating," you're just pointing out that they've made an error.

The way it works is this. The traditional "condition" for a British student would be a 1st, so they apply the same to international students and use a standard GPA conversion to make it uniform. This comes out to a 3.7, so they slap the 3.7 condition on the file. This, however, doesn't reflect the fact that GPAs are cumulative over 4 years, whereas in most British unis the first year doesn't count, the second is only 1/3 of the grade, and the final year is 2/3 (and only assessed at the very end of the year). So a 1st is a reasonable condition to them because it's entirely feasible pretty much no matter what the student got in 2nd year. But in the GPA system, a 3.7 may or may not be feasible. For me, my condition was low enough that basically I could've flunked the last semester, which was very credit-light (only 12) and still made it - not much of a condition, right?

So just point out the fact that it's unattainable, and they'll say "oh, right, well, your new one is 3.XX" and it should be something roughly where you are now.

I know it seems hard to believe, but you really have to trust me that it's not a big deal. You're not "negotiating," you're just pointing out that they've made an error.

The way it works is this. The traditional "condition" for a British student would be a 1st, so they apply the same to international students and use a standard GPA conversion to make it uniform. This comes out to a 3.7, so they slap the 3.7 condition on the file. This, however, doesn't reflect the fact that GPAs are cumulative over 4 years, whereas in most British unis the first year doesn't count, the second is only 1/3 of the grade, and the final year is 2/3 (and only assessed at the very end of the year). So a 1st is a reasonable condition to them because it's entirely feasible pretty much no matter what the student got in 2nd year. But in the GPA system, a 3.7 may or may not be feasible. For me, my condition was low enough that basically I could've flunked the last semester, which was very credit-light (only 12) and still made it - not much of a condition, right?

So just point out the fact that it's unattainable, and they'll say "oh, right, well, your new one is 3.XX" and it should be something roughly where you are now.

If only the world worked the way you described it...But, is it too much to ask them for unconditional offer instead of a revised conditional offer?

(I mean, I'm ready to pay...and sign the papers...)

If only the world worked the way you described it...But, is it too much to ask them for unconditional offer instead of a revised conditional offer?

(I mean, I'm ready to pay...and sign the papers...)

Again, that is the way it works. You need to stop despairing and listen to what I'm saying from experience. If you started the thread just to wallow, then fine. But don't solicit advice then ignore it.

And yes it is too much to ask. British universities aren't accustomed to giving out unconditional offers unless the person has already finished the degree. If it is Oxbridge, you will definitely not get an unconditional, as your offer will be "conditional" on acceptance to a college. Willingness to pay has nothing to do with the process.

Again, that is the way it works. You need to stop despairing and listen to what I'm saying from experience. If you started the thread just to wallow, then fine. But don't solicit advice then ignore it.

And yes it is too much to ask. British universities aren't accustomed to giving out unconditional offers unless the person has already finished the degree. If it is Oxbridge, you will definitely not get an unconditional, as your offer will be "conditional" on acceptance to a college. Willingness to pay has nothing to do with the process.

In the end, I was told that if my final marks were exceptional I would be considered.

(Does this mean final marks...in my last semester? Seeing as how I kind of...ruined Fall '10...)

In the end, I was told that if my final marks were exceptional I would be considered.

(Does this mean final marks...in my last semester? Seeing as how I kind of...ruined Fall '10...)

As the other person has told you, English schools tend to favor heavily the latter part of a degree as the indicator of success; they will place emphasis on your final marks in your final semester of classes. I suggest that you send the full official transcript when it is available, but also that if you have access to the final term grades as a stand-alone webpage, you copy, paste, and send that information on its own as well, if you want that considered more so than the rest of your transcript. It won't count officially, but will serve to highlight the later grades, especially if they are exceptional.

As the other person has told you, English schools tend to favor heavily the latter part of a degree as the indicator of success; they will place emphasis on your final marks in your final semester of classes. I suggest that you send the full official transcript when it is available, but also that if you have access to the final term grades as a stand-alone webpage, you copy, paste, and send that information on its own as well, if you want that considered more so than the rest of your transcript. It won't count officially, but will serve to highlight the later grades, especially if they are exceptional.

*Sigh* I will have to work intensively to achieve full marks in my last semester, but I will not give up just yet.

However, a lot of my UK uni's are sending me acceptances/rejections. (Heads up.)

• 5 years later...