How transferable is the clinical experience and research experience from an MSW program?

8215S

So I'm deciding between attending St. John's School Psychology PsyD program or Hunter's MSW program in the Clinical Track. I think that I may pursue clinical psychology in the future so that's why I was having trouble deciding. Would the experience I'd gain in mental health, clinical work, and research help my application for when I'm applying to aclinical psychology Phd?

I would check with the program, but MSW programs typically do not have any research requirements. If they do, they are very minimal. If you are set on applying to a clinical psych PhD program, you’re better off trying to find a job as a research coordinator for a year or 2 and then apply. These programs are incredibly competitive. Statistically speaking, it is easier to get into a reputable US-based med school then a clinical psych PhD program. I’ve heard stats that it’s easier to get into Harvard med school than it is to get into any clinical psych PhD program but I can’t necessarily confirm that one. PhD programs typically don’t put much stock in prior clinical experience. In fact, that’s sometimes a negative because then there’s a higher chance that, not only do they have to train you in clinical practice, they may have to also try and train out bad practices you may have already learned. An MSW in general is not really going to set you up for a PhD in clinical psych. If you are set on a masters to help boost your application, a research focused psych masters would be the way to go with that. 

Hunter's MSW program does have research courses to take during the second year and I can also do research with faculty. It's funny how a PhD program in clinical psychology is just as hard to get into as medical school. It makes me wonder why more people don't pursue psychiatry then over a PhD. I assume it all depends on what their focus is. But isn't this an over generalization? Not all PhD programs are equal in their difficulty to being admitted. Of course it is still very difficult but it isn't all the same for every school right?

It’s a numbers game. Clinical Psych PhD programs often have a cohort of about 4-7, while med schools take in over 100. There are just literally significantly less spots per program. There were just shy of 4000 applicants in this APPIC match this year. Meanwhile, a little over 33,000 MDs and over 12,000 DOs participated in the residency match this year. 

Make sure to get your name on some posters and maybe even a publication if you can. Applicants for clinical psych PhD programs typically have several years of research experience, with multiple research products, sometimes even 1st author publications. The biggest factor is also research mentor fit. Your research interests need to be a strong fit for the mentor you are applying for. 

I think I can find a good fit for a research mentor but it's all of the preparation involved in getting there where I fall a bit short. Would I be able to be part of a publication during my masters if I pursue an MSW? My plan was to go directly from my masters to a PhD, but it seems like I may need more time? How do students who work in research for one year or two get admitted into clinical psychology programs?

They typically take positions as research coordinators as full time jobs between undergrad and grad school. Even in my PsyD, most of us had extensive research experience such as being a research coordinator or first author publications prior to starting. 

You would have to talk to your research supervisor about that. Some are more open about students getting on things quickly, while others may have certain amount of time earned before getting onto a poster or paper. It’s really dependent on lab and supervisor. 

@PsyDuck90 Wouldn't the research experience I'd gain from the School Psychology PsyD program be better even in the first two years compared to the MSW or MHC? It is a doctoral program and if I decide a year or two into the program that school psychology doesn't fit my interests I can always transfer to a clinical PhD program. It would have enough research experience and from a doctoral program too which would make it seem more credible to clinical programs. Of course, if I do end up liking school psychology, I'll gladly stay in that program. Would this be a better step than going down the MSW or MHC route which doctoral programs actually don't prefer? Any thoughts overall?

Edited by 8215S
Clarrification