decision for stats programs

maichang

hey everybody, I have applied to masters in statistics in US and I wanna know my chances of getting through. the thing is I have done my bachelors in engineering and don't have a strong mathematical background, though i seem to have done all the prerequisite courses in my engineering. my gre scores are not that great. i got 470V ,720Q. I have applied to MSP in CMU, MS in tamu, iowa state, utd, rutgers and uc davis and I havent heard from any of them. would it work against me that I have not done a bachelors in stats? what are the odds that i can get in at any of these universities?

I don't think it will work against you 'cos you haven't done bachelors in stats. If I were you I'd probably re-take gre to improve my quant score. I too have a bachelors in engg. and my gre is 490v, 780q with some stats related exp. and a masters degree in stats related field. I too have applied to MS in tamu, iowa st and phd at uc davis. Havent heard from these yet.

hey everybody, I have applied to masters in statistics in US and I wanna know my chances of getting through. the thing is I have done my bachelors in engineering and don't have a strong mathematical background, though i seem to have done all the prerequisite courses in my engineering. my gre scores are not that great. i got 470V ,720Q. I have applied to MSP in CMU, MS in tamu, iowa state, utd, rutgers and uc davis and I havent heard from any of them. would it work against me that I have not done a bachelors in stats? what are the odds that i can get in at any of these universities?

I don't think it will work against you 'cos you haven't done bachelors in stats. If I were you I'd probably re-take gre to improve my quant score. I too have a bachelors in engg. and my gre is 490v, 780q with some stats related exp. and a masters degree in stats related field. I too have applied to MS in tamu, iowa st and phd at uc davis. Havent heard from these yet.

thankyou!! I was apprehensive about taking the gre again coz I thought they will take the avg of the 2 gre scores. I wanna also know if utd and rutgers are all safe schools for me? I don't know if I have chose the right universities. should I have chosen universities that are ranked lower?

sowmya, I think you have applied to good univs...is utd at dallas? rutgers is a little high in ranking compared to utd. did u consider univ of maryland-baltimore, michigan state etc.? I am in the same boat as you ... just waiting to hear from univs

-s

thankyou!! I was apprehensive about taking the gre again coz I thought they will take the avg of the 2 gre scores. I wanna also know if utd and rutgers are all safe schools for me? I don't know if I have chose the right universities. should I have chosen universities that are ranked lower?

sowmya, I think you have applied to good univs...is utd at dallas? rutgers is a little high in ranking compared to utd. did u consider univ of maryland-baltimore, michigan state etc.? I am in the same boat as you ... just waiting to hear from univs

-s

Its good know that I have company! :) yes its UT at Dallas. utd isnt ranked on the usnews tho so i assumed its a safe bet. Is there still time left to apply for maryland and michigan?

guys..anyone heard from udavis, uga, tamu or ncsu yet? if accepted mind sharing your profile? i have a reject from ufl, uminn and accepted by south carolina. 780q/500v/3.5w, top tier undergrad and grad schools (not stats though), working for several yrs in quantitative fields and not much of stats related research exp.

I heard from NC State back in early Feb. They requested a decision by 3/11 (yesterday), so perhaps they've received some rejections and can make some more offers (2 more acceptances showed up on the results yesterday too).

I have not heard back from Georgia, Kentucky, Iowa State, or Michigan. Has anyone heard from any of those??

I heard from NC State back in early Feb. They requested a decision by 3/11 (yesterday), so perhaps they've received some rejections and can make some more offers (2 more acceptances showed up on the results yesterday too).

I have not heard back from Georgia, Kentucky, Iowa State, or Michigan. Has anyone heard from any of those??

I got into Kentucky in December, fully funded.

Congrats! I got in there too. I was of course really excited but now it's almost worse because it makes me want to hear from the other schools soooo badly. I'm waiting on NCSU, LSU, Iowa State, Florida State, and UCSB.

What are your thoughts on VTech, would you go there or do you have your heart set on somewhere else?

Sorry for the late reply! I visited VTech on their bill at the end of February and I liked the area and the program well enough. No snow in February was nice as I'm from NY state. The program is larger than I've seen, the PhD program has about 15-20 students across the years. They have a lot of opportunities for internships and working with the professors. The professors seem really open with their students and have a pretty good open door policy. What I liked the best was that their consultation lab gets traffic from almost every department on campus. This way you get a lot of exposure to different areas in statistics and a lot of experience with consultation. As compared to other consultation departments I've seen/heard about, this one may provide the best training.

The program at VTech is very applied despite the amount of theory you do actually learn. They realize the benefits of balancing the two, but the applied aspects definitely shine through in the program.

So overall, I am seriously considering VTech especially since I secured a funding offer. I am still waiting on Columbia (not top choice), George Mason, and Chapel Hill. I've been accepted with a fellowship to University of Rochester and waitlisted to Penn State as well. So it'll be a tough decision if I hear back positively from any of the remaining schools. Have you heard back from any on your list since this posting?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply! I visited VTech on their bill at the end of February and I liked the area and the program well enough. No snow in February was nice as I'm from NY state. The program is larger than I've seen, the PhD program has about 15-20 students across the years. They have a lot of opportunities for internships and working with the professors. The professors seem really open with their students and have a pretty good open door policy. What I liked the best was that their consultation lab gets traffic from almost every department on campus. This way you get a lot of exposure to different areas in statistics and a lot of experience with consultation. As compared to other consultation departments I've seen/heard about, this one may provide the best training.

The program at VTech is very applied despite the amount of theory you do actually learn. They realize the benefits of balancing the two, but the applied aspects definitely shine through in the program.

So overall, I am seriously considering VTech especially since I secured a funding offer. I am still waiting on Columbia (not top choice), George Mason, and Chapel Hill. I've been accepted with a fellowship to University of Rochester and waitlisted to Penn State as well. So it'll be a tough decision if I hear back positively from any of the remaining schools. Have you heard back from any on your list since this posting?

Rochester is bad. Almost all students are Chinese, they are talking in Chinese in the department and classroom all day long. angry.gif

Rochester is bad. Almost all students are Chinese, they are talking in Chinese in the department and classroom all day long. angry.gif

Help! We're being overrun by perfectly disciplined math machines with nothing to lose! dry.gif

I heard a similar story from a friend of mine who went to Harvard as an undergrad. He was sitting in on the first week of a difficult Stochastic Calculus class in which the professor and most of the students were Chinese. The professor was having great difficulty explaining a concept in English to a student who wasn't getting it; finally, in frustration he whipped out an explanation in Mandarin, at which point the student understood immediately.

My friend didn't go back to the class. (Oddly enough, he was Chinese-American and understood perfectly well. I guess he was overloaded that semester.)

I finally heard back from a couple more: rejected from NC State and accepted at UCSB. Which doesn't change things much since I don't think I'd go there--expensive place to live and I think it's the lowest ranked and most expensive program I applied to. I am glad to hear you thought the Virginia Tech program emphasized applied stats. That's what I'm most interested in. The internship opportunities are also exciting. So, I guess if I get into Iowa I'll have some thinking to do, otherwise I think I could definitely be happy at VTech. Plus, at this point, they get points for being the only school to not make me wait an agonizingly long time!!