International Fulbrighters Fall2011

Is there anyone who has a Fulbright grantsand is waiting for their admission information from IIE and unis? I'm going crazy that I can't check myself the application status. :)

I applied to U Buffalo, Nebraska - Lincoln, U of Oregon, and U of Maine, MA in English. Is there anyone here applying to the same schools with Fulbright grant?

I'm an international Fulbright grantee.

@irreductible: We international (!!! - it's a totally different process for Americans) fulbrighters don't have to wait for both. We usually have been granted the Fulbright Grant and we now just wait for the universities' decisions. But they will be sent to Fulbright and then forwarded to us - so that's why it may take a couple of days longer.

I'm sorry, I couldn't find the "editing" button for my post.

@irreductible: I didn't read your message carefully enough, I'm sorry. I've never heard that Fulbrighters are chosen so late. I received my "ok" from Fulbright in June 2010.

How did the application process work for you? So Fulbright did not handle your applications? Or chose your schools? How did you communicate with the IIE if you're not an official Fulbrighter yet? I'm really interested.

Hi!

It really depends on your birth country. I have my Fulbright interview in a couple of days and they will wait until applicants get their acceptance letters from the gradschools they applied to before they send out decisions. So basically, for French Fulbright, we won't find out until April...

I'm from Ireland. Fulbright here is even different from France it seems. The deadline for the application was in November 2010 and we were just called for interviews this month. We will find out from the Fulbright commission if we have been offered a scholarship in March. IIE has not been involved in any stage so far.

The Fulbright application is completely independent from applying to universities. We were expected to do that entirely by ourselves (or at least those who intend to study for a PhD were expected). I actually asked this question at the end of my interview since I was confused from reading other people's Fulbright stories online. One of the board members said that applications are entirely my responsibility however they said that if I do get offered a scholarship I should contact my schools and tell them since it's usually a major positive factor in their decisions.

Wow, that's really strange. I had my interview in early June 2010, I found out that I got the Fulbright in July 2010. Then the Fulbright-people helped me with my applications to the programs and handed them in for me (via the IIE, I didn't have to pay any fees and the Fulbright Commission wrote an additional cover letter highlighting my strengths etc.). But: If none of the 5 programs (we were only allowed to apply to 5 schools and the IIE picked them for us) accepts me, I also lose the Fulbright grant and I'll have nothing. So let's hope this won't happen....

Hello there everyone - INTERNATIONAL:)

I am pretty nervous..I see that US students are getting their answers, and we, internationals, don't.

Here is the process in my country:

We apply till August 2010, and then if the application is good enough by the team that evaluates it in the Embassy, then you get invited to an interview. After the interview, then they pick couple of candidates "good enough" to be considered for a Fulbright. That means same as in the US, couple of "secure" ones and couple of "alternatives". So, after that, the chosen candidates are required to take TOEFL exam, submit that to IIE, and then, in late January, we get notifications, did you pass .....let's call it second round (since the first one is passing the interview). After that, the US institutions, Universities I presume and the IIE, or...I am not sure who, reevaluates the applications, and the end (got it or not) is probably in May/June.

So...when are we going to hear someting:(??huh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also an Irish Fulbrighter, found out about the Fulbright Award in Sept 2010, applications filled out myself but submitted by the IIE... the application process is strange as you have to relinquish a lot of control. I have applied for PhDs in 7 schools and have gotten one firm acceptance so far and one unofficial acceptance. Fingers crossed for the rest!

I'm also an Irish Fulbrighter, found out about the Fulbright Award in Sept 2010, applications filled out myself but submitted by the IIE... the application process is strange as you have to relinquish a lot of control. I have applied for PhDs in 7 schools and have gotten one firm acceptance so far and one unofficial acceptance. Fingers crossed for the rest!

This is very strange. Did you apply for the Fulbright All Discipline Student or the Science and Technology award? I didn't have any interaction with IIE for the All Discipline student one...

I've been accepted by my top choice so now I'm just waiting to see if I've got a Fulbright as well.

This is very strange. Did you apply for the Fulbright All Discipline Student or the Science and Technology award? I didn't have any interaction with IIE for the All Discipline student one...

I've been accepted by my top choice so now I'm just waiting to see if I've got a Fulbright as well.

It's the S&T award, they seem to work very differently. The IIE organised pretty much everything (i.e. paying application fees, checking all applications were completed, submitting and following up) and were really helpful, I've only good things to say about them.

Will you still be funded if you don't get Fulbright?

I have the Fulbright Grant for all disciplines and with me it worked exactly the same. So we had to be accepted by Fulbright before we even applied to the universities.

But as we already discussed in this topic, Fulbright works differently in different countries. The proceeding may differ a lot. I think this is interesting, but I like the way it works here much better. I didn't have to pay any fees, I didn't have to submit the application (I just provided the material), I don't need to worry about discussing funding (this is all taken care of by the IIE).

Wow, we weren't allowed to do tailored SOPs for each university. We just had to write one and we were not allowed to mention specific names of professors etc. So I think it's really hard - especially for PhD applicants. Because the university ultimately does not know with whom you want to work with...

I got to prepare all my applications myself, with an SOP tailored for each (not that it changed a huge amount) and then the IIE submitted them for me. Saved me a few quid which is nice!

So where will you be going? I'm off to University of Washington to study applied mathematics.

hello, fulbright finalist from Zambia here! the waiting is just killing me, I applied in MA. Arts Administration at University at Buffalo, CCM and Columbia TC, did two interviews and just waiting but I am a bit worried with the UB one as it has been quite anyone who knows how the UB works?

the fulbright works the same here in Zambia, I wish we could know if fulbright have us already as we make the application! But anyway though I didn't choose the schools I was very happy with the IIE choices and one of them was on my list! so its all good there but the waiting. I have done two interviews (phone ofcourse) but University at Buffalo is quite and am hoping to know when they start announcing.

Buffalo is also one of my top choices, but I am still waiting to hear something from them. :(

the fulbright works the same here in Zambia, I wish we could know if fulbright have us already as we make the application! But anyway though I didn't choose the schools I was very happy with the IIE choices and one of them was on my list! so its all good there but the waiting. I have done two interviews (phone ofcourse) but University at Buffalo is quite and am hoping to know when they start announcing.

I got somekinda response. Maybe you guys can help me what does this mean...I kinda understood it, but still, second opinion could be quite useful.

"...Institute for International Education (IIE) just informed me that they are still waiting for responses from your top preferred institutions to determine how many fees will be charged and based on that where you will be placed. They will soon send me more information on which of your preferred options the program will be able to pursue...."

Opinions?

That's strange... In my country the IIE selects the schools to which my applications are sent. But when the acceptances are in, I can make my choice. Your e-mail sounds like IIE makes the choice for you. Did you at least get a say in where your applications were sent to.

That's strange... In my country the IIE selects the schools to which my applications are sent. But when the acceptances are in, I can make my choice. Your e-mail sounds like IIE makes the choice for you. Did you at least get a say in where your applications were sent to.

Well, we do get to write couple of top preferred ones, and they ask us on the interview "why this, why that one". Off-course, you really have to know why, right?

But, as I understood, IIE has a certain budget for every candidate, and now they bargain and look for discounts first for my top choices, and then if I don't fit in within the budget and/or my top choices don't seem to find me appealing as candidate, they will make a choice to place me elsewhere, where I fit in the budget and acceptance.

Don't you have a fixed budget for your first year?

Fulbrighters in my country get a fixed maximum budget. So if they go to a more expensive school, they can get all of this money. If they choose to go to a "cheaper" school, they get less - according to the tuition and living costs.

That's really interesting how Fulbright works differently in each country.

I am wondering if you got any response as to admission. As I know the choice of the school is not totally up to you, but also to IIE and Fulbright, so they have to determine the cost and suggest the best options. It's my interpretation. It's good that you have any information. I am just waiting and still heard nothing :)

I got somekinda response. Maybe you guys can help me what does this mean...I kinda understood it, but still, second opinion could be quite useful.

"...Institute for International Education (IIE) just informed me that they are still waiting for responses from your top preferred institutions to determine how many fees will be charged and based on that where you will be placed. They will soon send me more information on which of your preferred options the program will be able to pursue...."

Opinions?

Don't you have a fixed budget for your first year?

Fulbrighters in my country get a fixed maximum budget. So if they go to a more expensive school, they can get all of this money. If they choose to go to a "cheaper" school, they get less - according to the tuition and living costs.

That's really interesting how Fulbright works differently in each country.

I don't know about the budget. I am just assuming that it is so. If let's say they want three candidates from my country, the will have 33:33:33% for each of us. If I fit into those 33% as for the budget, and the faculty wants me, and their budget is 33% - good for me. If the faculty costs more - then I get the faculty that wants me and fits in those 33%.

I hope I got my math right...:)