2024 Application Thread

dr. t

Hello Legends,

Here is my current status, for those who might find the information useful. 

Princeton: Rejection, no email

Hopkins: No News

Stanford: Waitlisted for PhD with six years of guaranteed full-funding, if accepted

Georgetown: Not given PhD admission, but guaranteed admission to MA in Global, International, and Comparative History (MAGIC). Trying to get FLAS funding as an advanced Arabic language learner. 

That's all the schools I applied to. LETS GOOOOOO! VERY EXCITED!

Edit: No MA, I only have a BA. I am a Fulbright researcher in Morocco. Field: (North) Africa

Edited by 1003128

Hello everyone,

I'm an international student with an M.A., applying for the first time to the field of Latin America, with a focus on 19th-century Brazilian intellectual history. 

I applied to eleven programs. If I can be helpful to anyone, here is the current status of my application:

SUNY Buffalo: Accepted (January 31)

University of Chicago: Rejection (January 31)

University of Texas at Austin: Accepted (February 5)

Brown University: Rejection (February 6)

UC, Davis: Waitlist (February 7)

PennState: Waitlist (February 8 )

Harvard: Rejection (February 8 )

Princeton: Waitlist (February 9), no email

No updates from Stanford, University of New Mexico, and University of Pittsburgh.

Congratulations to anyone who was accepted, and good luck to those who are still awaiting the results.

Edited by andre_history

Hi all! I'm still so jittery and shaky and can't believe it's real - but I just got notification from my POI that I've been admitted to Harvard's History of Science PhD program!! I study premodern disability so it was applicable to the program but my BA and MA are just History degrees so I was absolutely convinced I didn't have enough experience or knowledge of History of Science to even be considered. What a day!!

Apologies if this question is inappropriate, but is anyone who was accepted to Northwestern likely choosing another university to attend? I'm on the "short wait list" and would really appreciate it if those accepted but not interested in attending Northwestern let the DGS know that they won't be attending. Thanks in advance!

Edited by greensleeveless

On 1/19/2024 at 2:41 PM, Nervienellie said:

Yale GSAS decided by a vote a few years ago that they definitely have to conduct some form of interview before admitting someone. So I would wait it out for a few more days and then assume a rejection.

I know this is old but I wanted to reply to this by saying that Yale admitted me without interviewing, so this may not be true anymore!

On the topic of Yale, I'd love to find the common thread between those of us who didn't get accepted OR rejected last week. I know it's not subfield, since I've seen 3 different ones among those with nothing. Did others in this situation have interviews? Did anyone already rejected have an interview? Is it letter of the alphabet sort of thing? (I'm in the first half, what about others still waiting?) Do we all have brown hair? I know this is a futile quest and nothing is going to change the decision or when I'll get it, but this mystery is driving me nuts! 

Edited by confusedmedievalist
more details

21 minutes ago, confusedmedievalist said:

On the topic of Yale, I'd love to find the common thread between those of us who didn't get accepted OR rejected last week. I know it's not subfield, since I've seen 3 different ones among those with nothing. Did others in this situation have interviews? Did anyone already rejected have an interview? Is it letter of the alphabet sort of thing? (I'm in the first half, what about others still waiting?) Do we all have brown hair? I know this is a futile quest and nothing is going to change the decision or when I'll get it, but this mystery is driving me nuts! 

Honestly, I'd just email POIs/DGSs. I think the whole "releasing staggered decisions" is kinda vicious and evil lmao, especially if they are saving rejections for last, after everyone else found out/not notifying waitlisted people. Like... I have not seen any NYU rejections, yet I found out about my status before the end of January. Idk, it's f* up. Anyways, rant over, I wish you can find some clarity on your status really soon!!! goood luck!

2 hours ago, ndoco2024 said:

Honestly, I'd just email POIs/DGSs. I think the whole "releasing staggered decisions" is kinda vicious and evil lmao, especially if they are saving rejections for last, after everyone else found out/not notifying waitlisted people. Like... I have not seen any NYU rejections, yet I found out about my status before the end of January. Idk, it's f* up. Anyways, rant over, I wish you can find some clarity on your status really soon!!! goood luck!

Definitely felt. Still waiting on NYU—they are quite literally the only graduate program I haven’t heard from yet 

has anyone heard from UCLA yet? I remember an informal rejection on the results page a while back but has anyone heard anything else? and has anyone heard from the university of michigan?

8 minutes ago, beee said:

has anyone heard from UCLA yet? I remember an informal rejection on the results page a while back but has anyone heard anything else? and has anyone heard from the university of michigan?

I was accepted unofficially to UCLA History on 2/5 and officially on 2/9. It's never over until it's over, but since the RSVP deadline for the visit day was yesterday, I'm assuming most accepted candidates have heard. It could be a waitlist, though! Keep the faith and good luck!

Edited by confusedmedievalist
date corrected

2 hours ago, obk90 said:

Irrelevant to me as I received a rejection, but it's really weird that Wisconsin hasn't sent out acceptances yet. 

Lol I also received a rejection and got a semi-informal email last Friday 8 pm. Idk if that’s because I’m an internal applicant (current student) but whatever. 🤷🏻‍♀️

19 minutes ago, beee said:

I heard from UMich History/WGS Joint PhD yesterday. Unsure if they only released decisions for the joint program though. Good luck!!

1 minute ago, ndoco2024 said:

I heard from UMich History/WGS Joint PhD yesterday. Unsure if they only released decisions for the joint program though. Good luck!!

The joint programs are definitely on their own timelines because I was accepted to the UMich history/Classics joint program back on 2/2. 

8 hours ago, confusedmedievalist said:

I was accepted unofficially to UCLA History on 2/5 and officially on 2/9. It's never over until it's over, but since the RSVP deadline for the visit day was yesterday, I'm assuming most accepted candidates have heard. It could be a waitlist, though! Keep the faith and good luck!

Is this ancient history subfield?

I don't think they've released decisions on any other subfields as hasn't been the wave of acceptances as there has been for every other place...but could be wrong.

Edited by HistoryBuff1250

8 hours ago, HistoryBuff1250 said:

Is this ancient history subfield?

I don't think they've released decisions on any other subfields as hasn't been the wave of acceptances as there has been for every other place...but could be wrong.

I am in the ancient history subfield but the visit day is for everyone which is why I'm not sure. I see a lot of rejections went out this morning, but don't know about acceptances in other fields. Sorry y'all. If it makes anyone feel better, I got rejected there a couple years ago too. (I got rejected a lot of places my first 2 cycles, lol). Persistence is key, I guess.