'Where else are you applying?'

phoenix245

While looking through some interview advice I came across this question (as per thread title) and apparently it pays to be prepared. But how can you 'prepare' for a question like that? Surely you are not supposed to lie to the interviewer? My answer would simply be a concise summary of where else I'm applying. What else could you say? What are the profs expecting to hear?

While looking through some interview advice I came across this question (as per thread title) and apparently it pays to be prepared. But how can you 'prepare' for a question like that? Surely you are not supposed to lie to the interviewer? My answer would simply be a concise summary of where else I'm applying. What else could you say? What are the profs expecting to hear?

Well, you are right, you should not lie and you should be concise. Just name the schools - that's all. If they ask for some details (what is your top choice school, for example), that's another story. I mean, in that case you also should tell the truth and be concise but it is trickier. It depends on many things such as where the school you are having interview with is on your list. If it is not your top choice, you should not say so, you should be vague or they will think that you will not take their offer if they extend it to you...

Edited by Strangefox

Agreed, just be concise and be honest. If they ask about your top choice, perhaps you can couch your answer and say that there are several schools that you would love to attend. I'm guessing it might not be productive to tell them straight off the bat that they're not your top choice (if they're not) and it won't be good to tell them they're your top choice and then you end up choosing somewhere else.

I plan to answer this question honestly, but not fully. I'm applying to seven programs, but I might only mention two or three others that share equal strengths.

If I had to answer which was my number one choice, I would spin the question and talk about research instead.

Something like: "My number one priority is to strengthen my background in [some specialization] and programs such as [the one one you're interviewing with] are particularly strong in this area. For example, I love [this specific aspect about your program and the work that this professor is doing]. I look forward to doing [that sort of work] here.

No, it doesn't answer the question, but you didn't have to lie either.

Agreed, just be concise and be honest. If they ask about your top choice, perhaps you can couch your answer and say that there are several schools that you would love to attend.

FWIW, I think this is what I would do in a situation like that. I also think that if they casually asked where else I was applying, I would mention some schools of similar ranking. Of course, if they asked ALL the schools I was applying to, I would tell them.

I just went through a phone interview/conversation with a professor who seems very interested in me. That's before the official recruitment visit, which is in 3 weeks. He asked a bit about my interests, told me about his interests. So, he basically said that they like me and it's very likely I'll be admitted. Then he asked about what other places I've applied to. I got nervous responding to that question because the other two schools I'll be interviewing with a more prestigious than this one. Basically, I told him the two schools, said I don't know yet where I want to know, seeing as how I haven't visited any of the schools yet. I was worried he would think I'm not serious about his school because the other two universities/programs are definitely higher ranked. In the end he said that they need this information to use it in determining financial aid packages-- I guess it is a good thing to have an interview (or even better- an offer!) from a better or competing school because it gives them more motivation to give you a competitive package so that you'll choose them. I'm sure that's not the case for all programs, but I thought it may be useful to share. I have no reason to not trust what he said, but I'm still a bit scared they'll decide I won't go there and not make me an offer. ;)