MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

hi all,

I have heard back from two... Faster then I ever expected!

UC davis (fellowship offer, but Im not clear how much..I wanna full ride!)

and tyler wants an interview. (for sculpture)

still waiting on 5 schools. march is going to be a tricky month.

gotta get ready for the Tyler talk---

they want a 20 minute slide presentation and Q and A about my work.

yikes!!!! practice speeches, here I come..

I hope it helps someone, at least slightly, to know that the results are starting to come in.

my friend is applying (for east asian studies not art) and commented there is a touch of destiny in these things.

thinking about it I have to agree..... its so out of our hands!

good luck to everyone!

Just curious, when did you hear from Tyler? At this point, I think it's safe to assume that they're done sending out interviews. Bummer.

Just curious, when did you hear from Tyler? At this point, I think it's safe to assume that they're done sending out interviews. Bummer.

I heard from them on the 25th.. But did not call back till today (I was on vacation)

This was just for sculpture mind you, the other departments might be managed differently.

It was certainly a faster turnaround then I expected!

I heard from them on the 25th.. But did not call back till today (I was on vacation)

This was just for sculpture mind you, the other departments might be managed differently.

It was certainly a faster turnaround then I expected!

Yeah I'm curious about this because it seems to be just sculpture that has heard back so far, but I'm sure the other departments aren't far behind if that is the case...

Hi all!

I saw some of you posted dates of rejection or wait list notification from UT Austin....very helpful, thanks!

By any chance, has anyone been accepted to UT yet? Specifically for painting?

Also, while I'm here, has anyone had any experience with reapplying somewhere after being wait listed somewhere then rejected? Or known someone else who has?

That's the boat I'm in now.

And GOOOOOOD LUUUUUUCK to everyone!!!! The time is pretty much upon us now.

Edited by katyh

got an email from Penn Design today saying that we can all 'check our online account as of March 14th' for our decisions. i wrote back to ask if they interview. will post if i hear back.

Last year my rejection came on March 11th. Not sure if they notify all at once or not.

lisad333, you and I both applied to Rutgers. I am printmaking as well. Do you, or anyone else, know ANYTHING regarding Rutgers? I cant seem to find much, not even anything regarding what their acceptance rate typically is or when they send admissions/rejections??

got an email from Penn Design today saying that we can all 'check our online account as of March 14th' for our decisions. i wrote back to ask if they interview. will post if i hear back.

lisad333, you and I both applied to Rutgers. I am printmaking as well. Do you, or anyone else, know ANYTHING regarding Rutgers? I cant seem to find much, not even anything regarding what their acceptance rate typically is or when they send admissions/rejections??

Im applying to Rutgers too, I checked the results tab, there were three responses that said they were notified March 3.

I'm honestly not sure: I think a lot of people are applying for painting, and I don't have a sense of how much they separate things out in the review process. I didn't think it was a very competitive program going into this, but I'm realizing now that I might have been wrong about that...I'm curious, also, if they conduct interviews.

(on another note): PennDesign emailed back and said that they do NOT conduct finalist interviews.

bethany have you heard anything from uc berkeley???

Akap, noooooooooooo, Nothing from Berkeley. What about you? Not a single word from a single school for me. I do realize it is still early, but I am slowly going insane. I teach this year and am very busy, but it has yet to stop me from obsessing about this forum or checking school sites constantly. :(

I am rethinking my decision to apply to such competitive places. I have a feeling I may have to reapply next year.

Vermillion, thanks for the info! Sorry, it probably was somewhere obvious I overlooked.

bethany have you heard anything from uc berkeley???

anyone know when UCLA sends out letters? cant seem to find it anywhere.

I got an email about a phone interview in New Genres on 2/16 in 2009. Didn't get in - but got an interview. I don't know if that is any indication for this year.

I talked to the grad student coordinator at Rutgers today and she said that we could expect to hear something mid March. they are just now getting the portfolios distributed to the reviewees. She said that she felt confidnet that it would be by mid March though, not April! I love this school but it is very competative. Heres to waiting it out!!!!

Edited by wannaknow

thanks for the info likely around the same time id think...

I got an email about a phone interview in New Genres on 2/16 in 2009. Didn't get in - but got an interview. I don't know if that is any indication for this year.

I kinda hinted at how overwhelmed with applications they must have been and then with the weather.... and she is the NICEST lady, and she just started laughing and said "thats my little secret, and yeah the weather hasnt really held us back any" I am not at my permenent address and so I have someone checking my mail for me and wanted to be able to give my friend a heads up, and though she did say the letters would come USPS she told me I could call anytime around the first of the month and she could give me an update and she also said she could email me the decision. SUPER nice lady!!!!!

Thanks for the update! I wonder how many applications they received...

Tyler hasn't notified anyone for painting yet. Last year they didn't tell anyone anything for painting until Feb 13th....so we will probably hear next week.

OMG people, I am dyin here. I hate waiting. And I am starting to feel like I will be rejected from everywhere. I couldn't sleep last night because I was basically feeling sick from thinking I might hear from a school today...but still nothing.

PS everyone keeps asking about when we should hear from schools...I posted a bunch of info on that a few pages back for those who didn't see it.

Check this info out if you haven't already....

I searched the forum, from last year, and in my state of anticipation I wrote down some of the dates of painting acceptances/ rejections from last year, so it's kind of a heads up timeline! I only searched the schools that I applied to, and only for painting, but I'll post what I found....

SAIC:

*by 2/25 some people still had heard nothing a all

interview request: 2/11 (mail)

rejections: 2/18 (mail) 3/20 (after being interviewed) 2/22 (with an offer for Post Bacc)

acceptances: 3/18, 3/21 (after interviews)

Tyler:

rejection: 2/13 (mail)

finalist: 2/19

UT Austin:

rejection: 2/16 (mail)

waitlisted: 2/28

I don't know if hey have interviews?

PAFA:

acceptance: 2/22, 2/23 (mail)

I asked if they had interviews on my tour...but now I can't remember if they do or not...

CCNY:

*people still had not heard by 3/24

Purchase:

rejection: 3/13 (but the person had not been interviewed)

UDelaware:

decisions were all made around 2/19...I don't know if there were interviews.

SVA:

rejection: 3/30 (mail)

acceptance: 2/24-ish (mail)

Hunter:

*By 3/10, some people still had heard nothing at all ...not even interviews....but there were interviews.

rejections: 3/8, 3/22, 3/18 (via online system)

acceptance: 4/1, 4/8, 3/18 (phone calls)

interview notifications: around 3/9

Rutgers:

*some people had heard nothing by 3/20....I don't know if there are interviews...

rejection: 3/8

Scolby, I can definitely relate! I hope things start to look up for all of us. I am just going to start applying for teaching positions as a back up even though I am pretty sure I would be unhappy.

Also, that list you compiled is a great help and a wonderful resource. Thanks for posting it and hopefully it will be an indicator for the next month.

OMG people, I am dyin here. I hate waiting. And I am starting to feel like I will be rejected from everywhere. I couldn't sleep last night because I was basically feeling sick from thinking I might hear from a school today...but still nothing.

PS everyone keeps asking about when we should hear from schools...I posted a bunch of info on that a few pages back for those who didn't see it.

I am going to look for teaching positions too....I am worried that I will get consumed with my teaching and forget about my true dream because I have an absolute BLAST with the kiddos. But, as much as I love teaching art, I don't feel complete without making my own work, and even if I do end up teaching, I want to be an artist as well, and no...it will not be a hobby. No matter what anyone says, I believe I can do both....Georgia Okeefe was an art teacher! That's what I tell everyone. I just know that in order to be both working artist and teacher, I need to start my art career first and go back to teaching a little later in life. Plus, I need to get the H*** out of Virginia because it's starting to bore me.

PS Bethanyr I am considering being a teaching assistant rather than actual art teacher to start.....you might consider it too in the unfortunate event that things don't go right. Your work is great, so I'm sure that won't happen...but still. The reason is, because as a teaching assistant, you leave work behind after school...no lesson plans....no sample art projects...so you can go work in the studio after school. And because you still work in the school, it will be easier to get the art teacher job in the future if you want it.

That's what I might do if I don't get accepted this year, so then I will have time to apply again either next year or for 2013. I spent 9.5 hours at school today......and I have a long night ahead of me making visuals for the lessons I'm teaching tomorrow....no way can I do this and my own artwork. I just made 5 self-portraits like Frida Kahlo for 5th grade tomorrow, and I miss doing my own art.

Scolby, I can definitely relate! I hope things start to look up for all of us. I am just going to start applying for teaching positions as a back up even though I am pretty sure I would be unhappy.

Also, that list you compiled is a great help and a wonderful resource. Thanks for posting it and hopefully it will be an indicator for the next month.

I have applied to 10 schools. Out of those schools- Berkeley, Otis, PNCA, PSU, Mills, Claremont and UW have had issues with my transcripts! Most commonly they were misplaced because my name has change since I graduated. UW is the worst- they don't know where my transcripts are and won't help me because they already sent all the applications to the review committee. When I asked the lady I talked to on the phone- she told me not to send a new one. When I asked if my application will not be reviewed because of it being incomplete she said "I don't know that is up to the faculty" ugh. I e-mailed one of the facualty directly so hopefully they can help. Stressful! I feel like every time I am relaxed about grad school I find out another school is missing my transcripts and then I get stress out again. :(

scolby and bethanyr.... i can totally relate... i'm doing the same thing... i think this forum has been seriously functioning as psychiatrical help for me in the past two weeks.... but on the other hand i keep telling myself that all my obsession about this waiting period is just all a construction in my mind... but still....ugh.....cool.gif

I have applied to 10 schools. Out of those schools- Berkeley, Otis, PNCA, PSU, Mills, Claremont and UW have had issues with my transcripts! Most commonly they were misplaced because my name has change since I graduated. UW is the worst- they don't know where my transcripts are and won't help me because they already sent all the applications to the review committee. When I asked the lady I talked to on the phone- she told me not to send a new one. When I asked if my application will not be reviewed because of it being incomplete she said "I don't know that is up to the faculty" ugh. I e-mailed one of the facualty directly so hopefully they can help. Stressful! I feel like every time I am relaxed about grad school I find out another school is missing my transcripts and then I get stress out again. :(

I've been having this same problem. I seriously think the US postal service is having issues, although I am blaming the weather. Two of the schools (UW and Cranbrook) I had to include the transcripts with the applications to be mailed. Since I still had not received the transcripts in the mail (after my 2nd request!) I included copies with a note explaining everything. A few days later I did get UW's and immediately next day delivered it. Cranbrook's should have been with UW's and I still haven't received it! so I'm going to have to request it again! Both SFAI and Tyler were super nice about it and let me email them a copy. Very very frustrating!