MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

if you address and stamp envelopes for your recommenders, then it won't overburden them....they just write the same letter over and over, and you can email them the adresses so they can just copy and paste onto the letters. Plus, when you become a professor or something, it comes with the job description to write letters. Plus hal of the letters are online, so all they have to do is copy, paste and submit.

Best wishes to everyone! I have only applied to 2 MFA programs: SAIC and Bard (in painting). I wonder why I have not seen any applications to Bard on this forum. I applied to their program because very often (but not always) when I come across an artist I admire, it turns out they either teach at Bard or got their MFA at Bard. I don't know why they don't have a higher ranking. In any case--I do have one question for those of you who have applied to 8-13 MFA programs. Did you ask the same person to recommend you to all 8-13 programs or did you try to distribute the labor and end up asking 20 different people for recommendations. I am asking because there is a good chance that i will be applying again next year and don't want to overburden any of my potential recommenders.

Best wishes to everyone! I have only applied to 2 MFA programs: SAIC and Bard (in painting). I wonder why I have not seen any applications to Bard on this forum. I applied to their program because very often (but not always) when I come across an artist I admire, it turns out they either teach at Bard or got their MFA at Bard. I don't know why they don't have a higher ranking. In any case--I do have one question for those of you who have applied to 8-13 MFA programs. Did you ask the same person to recommend you to all 8-13 programs or did you try to distribute the labor and end up asking 20 different people for recommendations. I am asking because there is a good chance that i will be applying again next year and don't want to overburden any of my potential recommenders.

I applied to Bard. I agree, the painting faculty is amazing! Good Luck!

I agree that Professors are use to it and expect it and that it is very much in the job description. I warned all of my recommenders before hand to expect at least 8 schools and sent them all hand written Thank Yous, offering my own student recommendation should they ever need it. Anywho I wouldn't worry about overwhelming them at all!

Also I agree that Bard has a fantastic Program!Good luck!!!

I agree that Professors are use to it and expect it and that it is very much in the job description. I warned all of my recommenders before hand to expect at least 8 schools and sent them all hand written Thank Yous, offering my own student recommendation should they ever need it. Anywho I wouldn't worry about overwhelming them at all!

Plus, you have to consider that your recommenders may WANT to write a recommendation for you. if they care about you and are passionate about your work they may consider it an honor.

oops... replied to the wrong message. Sorry! It was an email.

HI :)

I"m freaking out too......

When did you get the interview from University of Michigan, and was it in an email? I wonder if they have already sent out all the interviews....

Thanks!

OOO I sent out an email thank you...think I should send a written one too?

i wrote them cards as well--but i think it's totally your call and depends on your relationship with them. my thinking was also that, if things don't work out this year, and i have to ask them to do this all again, i want to have put my best foot forward...

Just got a call from UC Davis telling me I'm admitted, woot woot!

Same here. Still waiting to hear from the seven other schools I applied to, of course, but knowing that at least one school wants me is an ENORMOUS relief. My anxiety level went down like 90% as soon as I hung up the phone.

Same here. Still waiting to hear from the seven other schools I applied to, of course, but knowing that at least one school wants me is an ENORMOUS relief. My anxiety level went down like 90% as soon as I hung up the phone.

Congrats! I was just so stressed about not getting in, I thought for sure I wasn't going to get accepted anywhere, getting that call lifted a huge weight off of me.

Congrats! I was just so stressed about not getting in, I thought for sure I wasn't going to get accepted anywhere, getting that call lifted a huge weight off of me.

Oh crap...thats my 1st choice for a school...I didn't apply for painting though, so that makes me feel a little better...I think I applied there for Photography or video...

Oh, so you guys now, I saw on Facebook a friend say that SAIC called her and told he she was accepted...

Edited by racuerex

Totally your call!! But if a friend or my sister asked I'd def say yes. Just because thoughtful appreciation goes a long way, especially if you end up having to use the same recommenders next year :)

Hmm interesting, so then its a bad thing to include drawings in the portfolio or just drawings done from beginning courses?

Typically I would say that schools are looking for independent work, so anything done in a class from undergrad I would not include in your portfolio. Good luck to everyone!!!

In any case--I do have one question for those of you who have applied to 8-13 MFA programs. Did you ask the same person to recommend you to all 8-13 programs or did you try to distribute the labor and end up asking 20 different people for recommendations. I am asking because there is a good chance that i will be applying again next year and don't want to overburden any of my potential recommenders.

I applied to 16 schools and was nervous about asking the same people, so I had one extra person write a few. For each recommender, I gave them a packet describing why I was applying to grad school, a synopsis of why I wanted to attend each school, a CD with my portfolio on it so they could see what I was submitting, and some yummy goodies to help them through it. As a thank you, I gave a card, bottle of wine, and a box of (my favorite) designer chocolates.

Most of my schools had electronic recommendations, so that made it easier in terms of the envelopes.

I applied to 16 schools and was nervous about asking the same people, so I had one extra person write a few. For each recommender, I gave them a packet describing why I was applying to grad school, a synopsis of why I wanted to attend each school, a CD with my portfolio on it so they could see what I was submitting, and some yummy goodies to help them through it. As a thank you, I gave a card, bottle of wine, and a box of (my favorite) designer chocolates.

Most of my schools had electronic recommendations, so that made it easier in terms of the envelopes.

thanks! -this is very helpful--i will be sure next year (if applying) to put together a similar packet--great idea--no doubt it helps your recommenders to personalize the letters a bit.

for what program? painting? soo, that means SAIC doesn't interview? I haven't been rejected yet....but of course letters in the mail take longer

Oh crap...thats my 1st choice for a school...I didn't apply for painting though, so that makes me feel a little better...I think I applied there for Photography or video...

Oh, so you guys now, I saw on Facebook a friend say that SAIC called her and told he she was accepted...

Can I just say...I think I am going to be sick. I can't take any more of this waiting, and I am already feeling disappointed like maybe I should have applied to some schools that were less selective instead of shooting so high for all of them.

Thanks, you are right....they are probably sooo incredibly busy reviewing portfolios. It was PAFA....I realllly hope I get in there, I feel like I would fit in well with their program. When I went for a portfolio review they said "this is definitely not a bad portfolio," so I'm hopeful that I may have a chance! This snow on the east coast is killing me!!! Firstly it made me have like 4 snowdays from school in which I sat around my house (unable to paint because my parents will be pissed if I ruin their house) and just thought about this the whole time! lol. and secondly, I think the snow up north is delaying all the application decisions and letters.

@scolby: what school was it?? And no I wouldnt worry about it. everyone is so so busy right now just trying ot get everything processed, that I'm sure the person is just covered up with work. Dont get discouraged

Can I just say...I think I am going to be sick. I can't take any more of this waiting, and I am already feeling disappointed like maybe I should have applied to some schools that were less selective instead of shooting so high for all of them.

i know exactly what you mean. For me, if i dont get in anywhere I will still know that i made brilliant work for my portfolio and that i worked very hard on these apps. And I will allow no number of irritating rejection letters to tarnish that knowledge. Neither should you

Don't make yourself sick, remember its still very early right now to hear back, and with the horrible snowstorm you know its having an effect on a lot of east coast schools. Also remember that all the painting departments are going to have the most applications to go through as opposed to other departments.