MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

UCSD. It was on a page that said "additional information" or something like that (it's all a blur now), under the diversity statement that all the UC schools ask for. I'm not even sure whether that section of the application was required, but I need all the funding I can get so I filled everything out. It seemed to me to be something that the University cares about, not the art department, so I don't think missing something like that would really hurt anyone's chances.

Ya, UCSD and UCD had the most essays to complete. But I have a feeling that anyone who applied to UCD got all of their applications done faster than anyone else since they had to be done by the 15th of dec.

Hi All!

I completely feel what everyone is saying---it's all so subjective+a bit of luck. I applied to 8 Universities and am trying to think positive and just keep the faith :) Heh.

Glad I found this forum and GOOD LUCK everyone!

There seems to be a pattern. My undergrad transcripts were sent to UNM on December 9 and 16, and neither of them made it to the department until January 10 (granted, they may not have had office hours if they were on break). Your missing letters might be floating around somewhere in their campus mail system. I'm sure they've got quite a lot of material to process.

The Mail system in New Mexico is horrible. I used to live in Santa Fe and many times I would not get things people sent me or visa versa, and I am having trouble with my transcripts (coming from New Mexico) getting to my schools on time.

I know what the heck!!!!!! At least they were nice enough to give me notice and let my professors email them!!! More than a one day notice would have been nice though!!!! has anyone heard anything form their schools yet??????

I am SO SO NERVOUS ABOUT INTERVIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD RELIABLE IDEA OF WHAT TYPES OF THINGS THEY ASK IN THESE INTERVIEWS????

I know what the heck!!!!!! At least they were nice enough to give me notice and let my professors email them!!! More than a one day notice would have been nice though!!!! has anyone heard anything form their schools yet??????

I am SO SO NERVOUS ABOUT INTERVIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD RELIABLE IDEA OF WHAT TYPES OF THINGS THEY ASK IN THESE INTERVIEWS????

There was a thread last year about possible interview questions:

It also may give you an idea of when you might start hearing things from schools.

This process has been the most draining thing I have ever done. I am currently student teaching high schoolers, and there is a nice comfort in my students anxiety awaiting undergrad results as I await grad school results. I applied to the following:

UC Berkeley

UCLA

USC

UC San Diego

Northwestern

Rutgers

University of Illinois Chicago

Columbia College Chicago

Tyler

University of the Arts

Ten total. Not a word yet, except there was a problem with my electronic portfolio for UC San Diego that I am fixing now. 

Best of luck to everyone ! Here is a link to my Flickr of my portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57625404109752/

Your work is beautiful! What is it you are working with? Is that cut paper? I absolutely love it, and I want one at my house... Edited by pjkbmarm

Ok I am freaking out...

I accidentally marked "not waive the right" to access the recommendation. and the ship is gone. nothing I can change about it.

I heard it will negatively effect my application if I mark on "not waiving the right"...

I applied (digital media)

Penndesign

Columbia

I am losing my hope...

I went to RISD as grad, and worked as designer for 2 years. my gpa is low as 3.0.

Would I still have chance to get in..?

I would e-mail them immediately and let them know of your mistake, and that you are happy to waive your right... these people are human beings too, I am sure they would note that on your file gladly or tell you what to do. Good luck!

I applied there and I have seen several others too!!! I think it is a good school also!!

I

realized not many people apply for university of pennsylvannia (penndesign).

I am just wondering is it because of the rank? upenn is still a very good school.

Just heard back from Tyler School of Art

Finalist in Sculpture - Interview March 5th

Have yet to hear back from

VCU

NYU

UCSD

Cornell

USC

Rutger

Edited by LeeP

Awesome, congrats! I didn't know that Tyler had interviews, did you know they interviewed?

I did know they interviewed but I didn't know it had to be in person, which presents a problem when you live in california and the tickets are $400, it is one of my top choices so I will have to splurge and buy a plane ticket.

explain to me how this adversely affects your chances???

so what if you checked it off.

Ok I am freaking out...

I accidentally marked "not waive the right" to access the recommendation. and the ship is gone. nothing I can change about it.

I heard it will negatively effect my application if I mark on "not waiving the right"...

Penndesign

Columbia

I am losing my hope...

I went to RISD as grad, and worked as designer for 2 years. my gpa is low as 3.0.

in some cases, if you don't waive your right, schools won't put as much faith in the word of the recommender: if you can demand to see the letter, the writer might hold back about negative stuff.

that said, if you haven't looked at the letters and this was a total accident, i don't think there should be any problem with you writing to the grad office and just telling them that it was an honest mistake, that you haven't seen, and never plan on seeing, those letters, and to please change the form to reflect this.

re: the GPA, from everything i've heard this isn't a big factor in grad MFA admission--the portfolio is the primary thing, obviously, as well as your statement.

all of that to say: don't give up hope.

explain to me how this adversely affects your chances???

so what if you checked it off.

How did you hear?? In an email? I applied for painting, and haven't heard yet. I'm worried :-(

Just heard back from Tyler School of Art

Finalist in Sculpture - Interview March 5th

Have yet to hear back from

VCU

NYU

UCSD

Cornell

USC

Rutger

I finally have all my applications in! Yale, Columbia, SMFA, and Syracuse. I only have to complete the needaccess.org for Columbia and Yale by the 15th. Um, a little difficult to estimate my projected income for the school semester - not knowing what kind of work I will have or how many hours....

what is the deal with the need forms.... I thought you couldnt fill out your financial aid stuff until you had been accepted.... am I missing something?????

Columbia sent out an email it said:

"In order to be considered for financial aid, it is critical that you complete all appropriate application forms by February 15, 2011.*

DO NOT WAIT for an offer of admission to file all appropriate financial aid applications. "

Just friendly advice, if it were me I'd immediately contact the administrator. They usually have an email you can find and email them about your mistake, it's better than feeling helpless. Get proactive :)

Ok I am freaking out...

Penndesign

Columbia

I am losing my hope...

Does anyone know what the earliest USC or UCSD or any other Uni. contacts it's finalists and or picks for MFA? Just curious if anyone has any ideas on what the earliest schools send out for interviews ect. after reading about Tyler School of art. I didn't apply but was just curious is that because of an earlier deadline and therefore having more time to know there picks or just because of the School itself. All of my school deadlines where either Jan 15th or Feb. 1st.

Anyone else checking gmail every 5 seconds?blink.gif It's going to be a long couple of months...

Thank you :)

in some cases, if you don't waive your right, schools won't put as much faith in the word of the recommender: if you can demand to see the letter, the writer might hold back about negative stuff.

that said, if you haven't looked at the letters and this was a total accident, i don't think there should be any problem with you writing to the grad office and just telling them that it was an honest mistake, that you haven't seen, and never plan on seeing, those letters, and to please change the form to reflect this.

re: the GPA, from everything i've heard this isn't a big factor in grad MFA admission--the portfolio is the primary thing, obviously, as well as your statement.

all of that to say: don't give up hope.

I realized not many people apply for university of pennsylvannia (penndesign).

I am just wondering is it because of the rank? upenn is still a very good school.

I came really close to applying to UPenn and then decided not to at the last minute.

My main concern was the lack of funding offered to grad students. I'm trepidatious about going into heavy debt when I currently can only find part time work.

I went to an information with Terry Adkins, who runs sculpture (and is the only sculpture faculty member) and I was one of two people there so we were able to have a good conversation. I liked him a lot, he's a real straight shooter.

One thing I'm looking for in a grad program is a strong mentorship. The PennDesign program is structured with very few full faculty members and a heavy reliance on visiting artists. While I think visiting artists are a very important component to a grad program, I was concerned that the students might not have enough access to what few regular faculty there are. Terry, for example lives in New York (so does Jude Tallichet @ Tyler, another school I decided not to apply to). I think if you have a lot of money saved and you don't feel like you need your professors to be super accessible, then PennDesign seems like a great choice.