MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

What I heard is about a third of applicants have no reason applying for grad school. Their portfolio is not cohesive and they don't even follow the directions of the application. A third is just ok, but their work still needs development and a third is really good- and these are the portfolios that they have to decide from.

I like this thinking! Thanks!:rolleyes:

I am on the exact same page as you!!!

What a process! At least I have a better idea of the direction my work will be taking over the next year!

Also, I have been going through phases where I know and am confident that my work is strong and relevant and then I swing into these weird moods where I think they are totally going to think my work sucks. Who knows, in the end I truly believe in what I am making and I I really hope someone else out there gets it and believes in it too!!!!

Anything that doesn't relate to your larger body of work is a bad idea from my understanding. Anything that looks like a class assignment rather than your own conceptual work shows them that you aren't ready for grad....they want to see that you have developed a conceptual body of work that is your own, and that you are ( and have been) working independently beyond college class assignments. I even emailed admissions at Tyler about it, and they basically said "we don't need to see technical drawings (unless they relate to your conceptual work) because after completing a BFA we can only assume that you have a certain amount of technical skill."

For example, you might want to include figure drawings or something to show technical skill if you paint non objectively....this would be a bad idea unless the drawings are clearly studies for a painting or other work. I did throw in something from a figure drawing class....but the only reason I felt like I could get away with it was because I had used a certain way of overlapping and fragmentation in the drawing that related to my conceptual paintings. Even then I think it was a risky move, but I didn't have a choice because Tyler and PAFA wanted 20 images and I didn't want to dilute my portfolio with detail shots. Drawings in general...no it's probably not a bad idea as long as they relate to your other work!

Hmm interesting, so then its a bad thing to include drawings in the portfolio or just drawings done from beginning courses?

I'm having the same feelings as you! Sometimes I feel confident about it, and feel good about my work, obviously because I put everything into it. Other times I just picture the admissions people looking at my work and rolling their eyes, or laughing. Regardless of whether they love it or hate it...you just have to keep doing what you do! If you aren't making art for yourself, then why are you doing it, right?

I also love having this forum and you guys to talk with. This is perhaps one of the most stressful situations I have been in, but being able to talk with people in the same situation makes all the worry significantly easier!! Thanks everyone! Also, I have been going through phases where I know and am confident that my work is strong and relevant and then I swing into these weird moods where I think they are totally going to think my work sucks. Who knows, in the end I truly believe in what I am making and I I really hope someone else out there gets it and believes in it too!!!!

perhaps, maybe the best way to say it would be "are there any options for interviewees who are on restricted budgets and live a great distance from your school. I am very excited to meet with the faculty in person and owould not want to miss that opportunity, do you know of any assistance that might be available?"

is it rude to ask a school if they provide any assistance for interview plane tickets?

is it rude to ask a school if they provide any assistance for interview plane tickets?

its not a problem to ask politely. I know a few schools can fly you or will work with you some according to last years posts. CCA wouldn't get me tickets but they offered for me to stay with someone.

not at all. Univ. of Michigan said on their website that they will cover all the related traveling expenses for final list candidates to travel to ann arbor for the interview. since there are schools who do it, i assume other schools won't see it as something rude to ask. worst is that you might get a "no."

Just finished sending in all of the apps. Its incredibly annoying as i am already starting to second guess my work on my apps. Im trying to ignore it but it's like a vulture hovering above.So, who else has vultures of doubt hovering above them?

Just finished sending in all of the apps. Its incredibly annoying as i am already starting to second guess my work on my apps. Im trying to ignore it but it's like a vulture hovering above.So, who else has vultures of doubt hovering above them?

About 1,000 (vultures of doubt). I agree with the whole mood swing thing. I go from being confident (how can they not see how hard I've worked???) to a complete mess of doubt. I try to explain to everyone that it's statistically easier to get into Yale law school than Yale art school. I think in some ways it must be nice to have GRE scores as your way to get into grad school because then you know exactly how good you are on a scale and exactly what schools take which scores. The subjectivity involved with a portfolio in addition to how much it means to you is a whole other level of pressure. It's insane.

About 1,000 (vultures of doubt). I agree with the whole mood swing thing. I go from being confident (how can they not see how hard I've worked???) to a complete mess of doubt. I try to explain to everyone that it's statistically easier to get into Yale law school than Yale art school. I think in some ways it must be nice to have GRE scores as your way to get into grad school because then you know exactly how good you are on a scale and exactly what schools take which scores. The subjectivity involved with a portfolio in addition to how much it means to you is a whole other level of pressure. It's insane.

This is really how I feel but I haven't been able to articulate it to people when I say I've applied to Yale. I guess I can throw the comparison out there now to give them some idea about how competitive it is and how hard it is to get into.

I'm doing strangely fine. Of course I could've kept working on them, but I feel like my applications are a fair representation of who I am as an artist today. I'm sure I made some mistakes here and there (I cringe a little bit when I think about my SAIC statement), but overall I'm really proud of what I put together. As far as I'm concerned, it's out of my hands. I'm just prepping and rehearsing answers to those interview questions, doing some reading, and really enjoying being back in the studio. Oh, and eagerly checking my mailbox every afternoon. ;)

Keep your chin up!

I cringe when I hink about by SAIC statement as well. I realized after I sent it that I spelled "three-dementional" like this, with a "t" instead of "s." I have to say I feel like a dumbass, and I'm angry at my spellcheck for failing me.

I'm doing strangely fine. Of course I could've kept working on them, but I feel like my applications are a fair representation of who I am as an artist today. I'm sure I made some mistakes here and there (I cringe a little bit when I think about my SAIC statement), but overall I'm really proud of what I put together. As far as I'm concerned, it's out of my hands. I'm just prepping and rehearsing answers to those interview questions, doing some reading, and really enjoying being back in the studio. Oh, and eagerly checking my mailbox every afternoon. ;)

Keep your chin up!

Hi Everyone!! I'm really happy to find this forum, because just like most people here, I'm really freaking out!!!!

It is my first time applying for MFA, and I have no idea what to expect.

here is my list:

Michigan - interview

Tyler (sculpture) - interview

NYU

Wisconsin (video and performance)

UT Austin (transmedia)

Carnegie Mellon

Washington University

Northwestern

Connecticut

Tennessee

Good luck to everyone!

Hi Everyone!! I'm really happy to find this forum, because just like most people here, I'm really freaking out!!!!

here is my list:

Michigan - interview

NYU

UT Austin (transmedia)

Carnegie Mellon

Washington University

Northwestern

Connecticut

Tennessee

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on the tyler interview! see you there!

HI :)

I"m freaking out too......

When did you get the interview from University of Michigan, and was it in an email? I wonder if they have already sent out all the interviews....

Thanks!

here is my list:

Michigan - interview

NYU

UT Austin (transmedia)

Carnegie Mellon

Washington University

Northwestern

Connecticut

Tennessee

Good luck to everyone!

last year it seems like people were hearing from Northwestern during the first week of Feb. (at least for rejections) but Im thinking that with the crazy snow storm that probably wont happen!!! bummer in fact alot of my schools, no most of them, are right in the thick of the snow!!!! UUUGGGHHHH

I did my undergraduate in Chicago and have been talking to all my friends back there. It's a nightmare!!!!! I'm not expecting an notices this week. Crossing my fingers for next week. I second the ugh. haha. BLAH

last year it seems like people were hearing from Northwestern during the first week of Feb. (at least for rejections) but Im thinking that with the crazy snow storm that probably wont happen!!! bummer in fact alot of my schools, no most of them, are right in the thick of the snow!!!! UUUGGGHHHH

so, I don't know what to think of this: I went for a portfolio review at one school, and I kept in contact with the admissions person who I talked to, via email. After I sent in my app, I got an email from him saying they received my materials, (and because I had asked a question about burning the CD portfolio) he offered to check on my CD and make sure it worked alright, and if not he would let me know. Sooooo, there was no word back from him.... so I emailed back about 10 days before the deadline saying that I assumed my CD did work, but I was just double checking with him to make sure it did so I would have time to send a new one....well, the deadline passed today, and I still never heard back :-(

I had a situation when I applied to college where I called to ask a school if they had all my materials, and they said, "umm, actually you are already rejected." I'm hoping that I'm not already rejected this time.

It's pointless to worry about this, but can't help it.

samesies:

Yale

Tyler

RISD

VCU

SAIC

Cranbrook

Columbia...

Tyler Sculpture seems like they've sent out interview requests from what I've seen on this board.. hopefully Painting's not far behind.

It's 1:44 am and I am nervously reading this forum wondering if others have heard back and I have not.. Ugh.. Nothing yet.

I applied to:

MFA painting for all

Yale

RISD

MICA low residency and Hoffberger

Tyler

BU

IUB

www.orangetrousers.com

samesies:

Yale

Tyler

RISD

VCU

SAIC

Cranbrook

Columbia...

Tyler Sculpture seems like they've sent out interview requests from what I've seen on this board.. hopefully Painting's not far behind.

Best wishes to everyone! I have only applied to 2 MFA programs: SAIC and Bard (in painting). I wonder why I have not seen any applications to Bard on this forum. I applied to their program because very often (but not always) when I come across an artist I admire, it turns out they either teach at Bard or got their MFA at Bard. I don't know why they don't have a higher ranking. In any case--I do have one question for those of you who have applied to 8-13 MFA programs. Did you ask the same person to recommend you to all 8-13 programs or did you try to distribute the labor and end up asking 20 different people for recommendations. I am asking because there is a good chance that i will be applying again next year and don't want to overburden any of my potential recommenders.