MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

Thanx Baja, I have a shark obsession. If you have a website, I'd like to check it out. I just took my personal url down because I got paranoid from what people were saying about schools looking on here...not that I've said anything bad, but still, just in case I didn't want my full name out there. Yes, my first time applying

Crappola, oh well. I've applied to 6 schools - giving myself an ulcer for the responses. Is this your first time applying? I just looked at your website, the shark series is pretty killer - especially the ones with the white backgrounds.

hey, thanks so much for posting these, they're great! good luck with your slade interview!

I got most of the question from the forum here (I forgot who posted them for us), so I'd be repeating same thing.

But here are the questions I gathered. Some of the questions are specifically related to my practice.

Why do you want to go to Slade?

Why do you want to go to grad school? Why now?

How do you think your work will change if you move to thislocation?

What resources of this program will be the biggest benefitto your development as an artist?

What are your influences?

If your workwas not about this, what would it be?

What for you constitutes a good work of art?

What draws you to a piece of work?

What motivates your work?

Who are your main influence? (make sure to name some of thedead artists from long ago, title of the work, quotes that artist has made,etc.)

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

How do you fit into contemporary world?

Or describe your work in the context of contemporary artmovements?

What do you think is a good critique of your work/badcritique?

Why/how did you choose the people who wrote letters for you?

How will you contribute to this program?

What do you do for fun?

What artists who are no longer living influence you?

What book are you reading right now? What do you think aboutit? (It helps to remember specific quotes that you find meaningful.)

What are you working on right now?

Please explainthis work (xxxx03.jpg)

What have you seen that you can’t stand?

What is your favorite piece of art? Why? (Title, artist,year)

Have you done research about Slade, how much do you knowabout Slade’s teaching method?

Can you describe yourself, besides the fine art world, suchas personal habit, etc.

What is your work about?

What other aspects of culture influence your work besidesart/art history?

How do you see yourself taking advantage of Slade’s enviroment/program?

What exhibition have you been to last year?

What have you done since you’ve graduated?

What contemporary artists are you into, and why?

Tell us about the conceptual underpinnings of your work?

Talk about your process.

What are your indirect influences? (music, book, etc)

What do you think about Clement Greenberg’s essay onformalism?

How is your work related to Minimalism/ProcessArt/Formalism?

What made youinterested in the 1960s movements in particular?

Do you have anyquestion for us?

My mentor told me to know any variation of this question inside and out and be prepared to elaborate in depth:

How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

yeah, it is definitely one of the hardest questions to answer because of the unclear definition of 'contemporary art.'

(well, might be a good thing that it is unclear, in terms of answering the question)

anyways, thanks for the info!

Oh I know right!?haha I spent about 3 days going...??blink.gif?? about it and had to just start writting down randomness until I got a few justifyable concrete concepts. Now whether I'll remember any of it.....ya.

Ok, I’m really glad you guys are bringing this up, because this question always stumps me and I am too stupid to prepare some gist of an answer to it—I think every time I have answered it, it’s been a different answer (depends on my mood, what I’ve been looking at lately, etc).

Also, the question of Where does your work fit into the scheme of painting (its history & contemporary relevance)? Which is a bit less intimidating because its less general, but still, it is SO loaded…

It also relates to the question, “what are you doing in your work that makes it NEW? What makes it contemporary?” (this is a toughie esp. when it’s coming from someone who’s prodding you with the whole “painting is dead” challenge)…

I mean, I think the question of how we “fit” can discuss the different schools of artmaking that inspire/influence us or that we feel we have similarities to, but there should be more…And for the question of “Why’s it new,” I usually mention a combo of details about my media, subject matter, process, context, blah blah, along with personal opinion about painting’s validity…but I wonder, out of all that, what is the meat that really satisfies the question?

Anyone have any thoughts on these broad, but important, questions? How have you handled it in the past? Interested in how others approach this…

It seems like most of the west coast schools have made the majority of application decisions.

I don’t know about that…I applied to Mills and UCSD and it seems no one else has heard back yet from them either. Hoping those places are just takin their sweet time…:unsure:

I'm with Caraa. I'm sure west coast schools are still deciding... like everyone else.

I don’t know about that…I applied to Mills and UCSD and it seems no one else has heard back yet from them either. Hoping those places are just takin their sweet time…:unsure:

Edited by femmedephoto

I just checked my Carnegie Mellon Slideroom portfolio, and the program heading now says 'eliminated 2011' which i imagine means 'rejected.' wondering if other CMU applicants have same/ different status or if i'm interpreting this right...?

FYI... i wrote an email to PAFA asking when the notification date for MFA applicants was.. they said letters were sent and postmarked last friday. he said to contact the admissions office if you didnt' receive a letter in the mail by the end of this week. yesterday was president's day, so no mail. good luck everyone!

Hmmm.. I didn't apply there, but I did apply to 4 schools that used SlideRoom. I just logged on, but I don't see anyplace where the status of the application would be?

If I were you, I would just call and ask them.

I just checked my Carnegie Mellon Slideroom portfolio, and the program heading now says 'eliminated 2011' which i imagine means 'rejected.' wondering if other CMU applicants have same/ different status or if i'm interpreting this right...?

It's where it says 'program'--all of my other slideroom apps still say "MFA 2011" or similar. CMU now says MFA Eliminated. Bummmmmmer!!!

Hmmm.. I didn't apply there, but I did apply to 4 schools that used SlideRoom. I just logged on, but I don't see anyplace where the status of the application would be?

If I were you, I would just call and ask them.

I got a nasty virus on my computer and cant use it ar ALL.... totally SUCKS! this computer doesnt have flash 9 on it and so I cant check my slideroom.. hhhmm curious???? I wonder if any of my shcools post things on there? Also, has anyone ever heard the final word from NW? I wonder when MICA nad NW will send out rej?

ok here is a question: Do you think GPA plays a role with some of these top ranked schools.. for instance if you have a GPA between 3.0 and 3.3 does that become a factor, or if you have a high GPA liek 3.7-4.0 does that positively impact your aplication? I KNOW for us this is almost completely about the work and the statement, but still I wonder if GPA is a factor?

Are you talking overall GPA or Major GPA?.. I think my cumulative was 3.5 (I did a BFA at Liberal Arts College) and for my Major 3.7. I saw on a few websites that they don't accept anything under 3.2. I remember specifically that Tyler and IUB considered GPA.

ok here is a question: Do you think GPA plays a role with some of these top ranked schools.. for instance if you have a GPA between 3.0 and 3.3 does that become a factor, or if you have a high GPA liek 3.7-4.0 does that positively impact your aplication? I KNOW for us this is almost completely about the work and the statement, but still I wonder if GPA is a factor?

I bet if you are really amazing and they want you right away then they won't give a second thought to your GPA. I suppose some schools use the GPA cut off to lower the size of their applicant pool, but even then I've heard that they will ignore if you are lower if you have work that they love. I think GPA is probably the last factor they look at. If they are on the fence they probably look at recommendation letters (after the work and your statement(s)) then your resume/GPA. But that's just my thoughts based on what I have heard but no actual facts. I can say with assurance that my 3.8 did not help me get into schools like Yale, Tyler, or SMFA so it's definitely not a main factor.

Does anyone have opinions on bringing a pad of paper and pen to an interview? I feel like it is a good idea to remember anything admist nerves etc but I can also see it being taken as a distraction. Any thoughts?

You're always supposed to bring a pen and paper to job interviews--it demonstrates interest--and I would say the same goes for grad school interviews. Perhaps you could have a pad open and nearby that you could grab to write notes if need be instead of holding it. That way, your hands are free, and you're less likely to write down every word they say out of nervousness/more likely to maintain eye contact.

I agree! also having your hands free to use gestures is important because body language is so crucial. Have the pad of paer handy but by NO MEANS woud I have notes written down to refer too with regards to answering questions. you wouldnt want your responses to seem scripted! you know your work and your influences and your motivation for going to grad school better than anyone. Be honest and engaged, taking notes when something important is said, like artists they recommend you look at or suggestions about your work. Other than that I would allow your body and hands to help communicate during the interview!! Good luck

You're always supposed to bring a pen and paper to job interviews--it demonstrates interest--and I would say the same goes for grad school interviews. Perhaps you could have a pad open and nearby that you could grab to write notes if need be instead of holding it. That way, your hands are free, and you're less likely to write down every word they say out of nervousness/more likely to maintain eye contact.

I just checked my status - Eliminated 2011. My other Slide Room application is still listed as open (Penn State), so it does seem we have been rejected from CMU. Sigh....

FYI... i wrote an email to PAFA asking when the notification date for MFA applicants was.. they said letters were sent and postmarked last friday. he said to contact the admissions office if you didnt' receive a letter in the mail by the end of this week. yesterday was president's day, so no mail. good luck everyone!

Oh my!!! My mail can't come soon enough. I hope the mailman doesn't pull another 4PM delivery today. :/

ok here is a stat I am dieing to know... how many stundents graduate with a BFA every year and how many students graduate with there MFA every year... I am so curious to know the percetage of students that go on to get their MFA... I was feeling a littel depressed last night and starting to question all the new work I was so excited about just the day before, and then this morning at 5:30 I woke up suddenly and started thinking, that just by applying and going ot any grad school we have already done something that many people dont get the chance to do... anyway, I have been wondering about these numbers for awhile.