Recipe Swap

Scottielass

Lebanese Red Lentil and Green Collard Stew

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 4 cups water (a couple more if you want it thin)
  • 1 bunch collard greens - rinsed, stemmed and thinly sliced (feel free to add a cup of diced zucchini if you wish)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • Lemon juice to taste

Directions
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stir in onion and salt; cook until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in lentils, and cook for 1 minute. Pour in water, then bring to a boil over high heat, then turn heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 15-20 minutes. (Eat a couple to test)
  3. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add collard greens, and cook until wilted, about 10 minutes. When the lentils are tender, stir in the collard greens and season with cumin, cinnamon, and garlic; allow to simmer 5-10 more minutes. Add lemon juice to each serving as needed. (It really finishes off the dish!)

I usually put this over quinoa, or couscous. It makes a great, hearty meal and the leftovers keep forever.

As a vegetarian I'm always looking for unique meals to add to my collection. I found this on allrecipes dot com and it's one of my favorites. ^_^

Yes!

I've used both coconut milk and half-and-half for the non-peanut base. Use 2 cups milk/cream to one cup peanut butter - heat it very slowly so it doesn't curdle. Also, I've only ever used fresh or dried peppers for seasoning, not powder, and I think this makes a big difference. Cook it in the cream/milk as you heat it (how much depends on your taste and the heat of each particular pepper), add the peanut butter and stir constantly to break it up. Simmer about 15 minutes. Add about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and about a tablespoon of brown sugar, with some soy sauce or salt to taste at the end.

Okay, well it's clear I used too much peanut butter, but also when I would heat it, the peanut butter would break up but not become smooth. It would be really gross. What kind of peanut butter did you use? Also how long is this "stir constantly" and if I keep doing this long enough will it not get clumpy. Can you be more specific? Sorry about the questions I need my hand held.

I use the all natural peanut butter which is just peanuts and salt - the other stuff has sugar and things whipped into it. (If you haven't used it before, make sure to mix the peanut oil back into the peanut butter before using.) After adding it to the warmed milk/cream base, I stir until the peanut butter is fully incorporated into the liquid, so the mixture becomes a thick sludge (unappetizing word, but I closest to the texture you are going for). Obviously you can add more liquid or peanut butter to get the consistency you prefer, but there should be no distinct chunks of peanut butter at all. At that point you simmer it to fully mix all the flavors together and perhaps make it thicker if you added too much liquid.

Try adding half the amount of peanut butter you plan on using and mixing it in to see how it works, and you'll see that it won't take too long to fully mix them together. If there isn't enough liquid, then it will turn into the unappetizing clumpy mess; that may have been your problem before.

I like this peanut sauce from a Chicken Sate' recipe I have. You do have to add more peanut butter to make it thicker (it is written as a dipping sauce). I add more peanut butter and boil it slightly until it thickens (while stirring).

2 TB thinly sliced green onions

1/2 teaspoon minced ginger root

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it really spicy)

1/4 cup (I increase this until I get the thicker consistency I like - at least 1/2 cup, you may need to experiment)

1/2 cup water

3/4 Tablespoon soy sauce

warm over low heat until combined. Then I turn the heat up at the end until it boils for a short time, and then let it cool. I just keep adding peanut butter until it looks and tastes right. I just used regular peanut butter. JIF or something.

(I'm away from my cookbook at the moment, but here's some general advice.)

Fried rice is easy to prepare, but the key to giving it that authentic flavor you're looking for is the kind oil and flavoring you use. Sesame oil and rice wine are a must if you're looking to replicate a Chinese restaurant/takeout. (Though I also get good results using sesame oil and sherry cooking wine instead of rice wine.) Fresh ginger also adds wonders.

I use refried rice like I do soups: it's a great way to use up leftover vegetables. So the ingredients I use varies, but if I usually always include 1 onion, some bell pepper, and broccoli. I also often use those frozen vegetable packs of "mixed vegetables" (green beans, carrots, peas, corn); just rinse them so they're not clumped together or icy and set aside before you start cooking. Sometimes I use shrimp as well.

Also, important for anyone who hasn't made this before: your rice MUST be leftover rice! Otherwise it will have too much moisture and stick to the pan. You'll want about 2 or 3 cups of rice.

Here's what I roughly do when I prepare my fried rice:

- Heat about 1 TB of neutral oil (veg, canola, or grapeseed) over medium-high heat

- Sautee onion and any other veggies that need more time (like bell peppers and broccoli)

- Add about 2 cloves or garlic (or more/less to taste) and about 1TB fresh ginger (also more/less to taste); let sautee for 1 min--too much longer and it loses flavor!

- Add more oil to the pan (1-2 TB), then start adding your rice, a little at a time. I usually unclump it by hand as I'm adding it in.

- Add 1-2 eggs. (You can either scramble and then add to pan, or just make a well in the middle and beat them right in the pan.) It's up to you whether you want your eggs to stay separated, or whether you want them to get incorporated into the rice (I prefer the latter).

- Add soy sauce and rice wine (ideally, or use cooking sherry). If I'm using frozen vegetables, I add them in now. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook and stir/toss for another few minutes.

- Add about 1TB sesame oil

Edited by runonsentence

You could definitely use sake and get good results, but I actually meant cooking wine. It's easier to find, cheaper and has a lower alcohol content, so it's easier to use; you can buy it at the grocery store, in the same aisle as vinegar, often right next to it. Or at least, this is where I've found it whenever shopping for it in the States and in the UK...sounds like you're currently somewhere more exotic.

I don't usually measure it (as with most ingredients up above, hah), but I probably use a few tablespoons. I'd start with maybe 2 tablespoons, and see how that tastes. Just make sure you give the wine a little time to burn off and mellow out in the dish—that is, if you decide to add more, don't do it the second before you take the pan off the heat. :)

On 8/14/2011 at 12:08 PM, runonsentence said:

You could definitely use sake and get good results, but I actually meant cooking wine. It's easier to find, cheaper and has a lower alcohol content, so it's easier to use; you can buy it at the grocery store, in the same aisle as vinegar, often right next to it. Or at least, this is where I've found it whenever shopping for it in the States and in the UK...sounds like you're currently somewhere more exotic.

I don't usually measure it (as with most ingredients up above, hah), but I probably use a few tablespoons. I'd start with maybe 2 tablespoons, and see how that tastes. Just make sure you give the wine a little time to burn off and mellow out in the dish—that is, if you decide to add more, don't do it the second before you take the pan off the heat. :)

Ironically I am in the US, but I'm in Pennsylvania, which has some of the strictest Alcohol laws I've seen on the East Coast. No alcohol (even cooking wines) in grocery stores. Beer cannot be sold in the same store as liquor and wine. So there's beer stores and then there's "wine and spirits." It's annoying.

LOL. Ah. I grew up in Pennsylvania, so I understand. The state stores have awful selection.

You might want to stick with sherry (and incidentally, not cream sherry, which is very sweet; you're going to want something drier): http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/619627

I've even just used cheap white wine before.

Edited by runonsentence

I tried it and it turned out great! I ended up using a super cheap chardonnay and it worked fine. The only sake around was 16 dollars a bottle... YEAH RIGHT. Thanks alot! I may set up a food blog (or maybe an everything blog) for pictures..

Edited by toypajme

I tried it and it turned out great! I ended up using a super cheap chardonnay and it worked fine. The only sake around was 16 dollars a bottle... YEAH RIGHT. Thanks alot! I may set up a food blog (or maybe an everything blog) for pictures..

Do it! I've been toying with this idea myself.

I would but I don't feel my dishes are ready. Speaking of though, everyone has came through so far. Can anyone make a nice Indian Curry dish? I've been toying with one but I can't seem to get it. I know there's a bunch of types of curries, but I mean just a standard one that'd be listed as "curry" in a restaurant.

I want a strong strong flavor from the spices and I can't seem to get that yet. I've seen some videos of Indian chefs adding tons and tons of spices and I read you should use more oil to do it this way. However, I also read the longer they cook the less their flavor. How do I balance this? My ideal is a thick curry, rich, slightly creamy, and has a STRONG STRONG taste. I want flavor to punch me in the mouth. Now I do not mean spice (the GF won't like that), but just the flavor.

I normally cook an onion, chopped, till translucent with 2 tbsp of canola oil, then cook 2 cloves of garlic and 2 tbsp of ginger. I then throw in my "curry powder" which is my own mixing of 1 tbsp cumin and coriander, 1 teaspoon of tumeric, and a 1/4 teaspoon of both ground mustard and cayenne pepper. From here I notice the oil is soaked up by the spices and they cling to the onions and garlic/ginger. Then I add a smaller can of diced tomatoes and a 1/2 cup of yogurt. I bring that to a small boil (medium heat) and mix in a water and cornstarch mix to thicken it (3 tablespoons of each). Next comes 3 pinches of salt. I then add whatever ingredient is the main part of my curry, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook.

What am I doing wrong? The curry flavor is there but it's just not strong enough! I want it to kick me in the face and I'm thinking 3x the oil and 2x the cumin/coriander may do it... any comments? The roasting of actual seeds is not an option because they don't carry them at my local market... Trying to work within my means here.

Edited by toypajme

I would but I don't feel my dishes are ready. Speaking of though, everyone has came through so far. Can anyone make a nice Indian Curry dish? I've been toying with one but I can't seem to get it. I know there's a bunch of types of curries, but I mean just a standard one that'd be listed as "curry" in a restaurant.

I want a strong strong flavor from the spices and I can't seem to get that yet. I've seen some videos of Indian chefs adding tons and tons of spices and I read you should use more oil to do it this way. However, I also read the longer they cook the less their flavor. How do I balance this? My ideal is a thick curry, rich, slightly creamy, and has a STRONG STRONG taste. I want flavor to punch me in the mouth. Now I do not mean spice (the GF won't like that), but just the flavor.

I normally cook an onion, chopped, till translucent with 2 tbsp of canola oil, then cook 2 cloves of garlic and 2 tbsp of ginger. I then throw in my "curry powder" which is my own mixing of 1 tbsp cumin and coriander, 1 teaspoon of tumeric, and a 1/4 teaspoon of both ground mustard and cayenne pepper. From here I notice the oil is soaked up by the spices and they cling to the onions and garlic/ginger. Then I add a smaller can of diced tomatoes and a 1/2 cup of yogurt. I bring that to a small boil (medium heat) and mix in a water and cornstarch mix to thicken it (3 tablespoons of each). Next comes 3 pinches of salt. I then add whatever ingredient is the main part of my curry, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook.

What am I doing wrong? The curry flavor is there but it's just not strong enough! I want it to kick me in the face and I'm thinking 3x the oil and 2x the cumin/coriander may do it... any comments? The roasting of actual seeds is not an option because they don't carry them at my local market... Trying to work within my means here.

Hi toypajme! It's quite possible that your homemade curry powder doesn't give you the desired potency. I rely on a combination of Madras and Trinidadian "duck/goat" curries, the latter of which has a darker and bolder flavor and may add the "kick" that you're looking for. I think your homemade curry powder is a good approximation of Madras curry, though I don't know the exact ratios of cumin, coriander, tumeric, etc. I think the duck/goat curry does contain roasted geera (cumin). You can find this curry, which is a product of my native Trinidad, here: http://www.amazon.com/Spicy-Duck-Goat-Curry-Powder/dp/B003UFH9BU

Amchar masala is also added where I come from--it contains roasted fennel, peppercorns, and mustard, among other things. See info here: http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vegetarian-forum/1219619-amchar-masala-trinidad-spice-mix.html

and you can purchase it here: http://www.trinirotishop.com/caribbean-spices-amchar-masala-85g.html (unfortunately I can't find it on Amazon).

The ratio that I use is 2 parts Madras curry to 1 part duck/goat curry to 1/2 part amchar masala. You could add even a little more roasted geera (cumin) and a little tumeric if you would like. Use more duck/goat curry if you would like a more piquant dish. Generally, with these guidelines I am seldom dissatisfied even if, like you, I demand a little extra flavor.

I should caution that I'm coming from a West Indian milleu--I grew up on this sort of food, but East Indians would probably beg to differ with this recipe. For example, West Indians almost never add yogurt to their curries, but I imagine using yogurt in conjunction with Trinidadian curries and amchar masala would still work. I just haven't tried it.

Also, different meats lend themselves to varying degrees of flavor, I think. So duck and goat are very bold, in-you-face curries. Chicken and fish are milder. Indeed, chicken is actually the most versatile (that is to say, a mild goat curry is more offensive to the senses than a dark chicken curry; I think you can experiment with chicken a lot more.) My personal favorite: go with curry green mango if you can find green mangoes in your grocery. Curry mango has exactly the dark flavor that you seem to be looking for, but it's also sweeter than duck and goat. Paneer (cheese) also works well for darker curries. Potatoes (aloo) not so much.

Feel free to experiment, and please be sure to let us know how things go. I am by no means an authority on curry, so I hope it's clear that I don't really have much confidence in my suggestions! I am just drawing from my experience growing up and having curry almost every day. Wishing you all the best!

Hello,

Thanks for the response! I definitely feel more educated about the diversity of curry. I have had some goat curry in restaurants and something about the flavor of goat turns me off. Never had a duck curry. My goal would be to cook a chicken curry. The flavor I think I prefer the most is either the cumin or coriander. I am not experienced enough with it to say.

Again, I am leaning towards needing a ton of spices to try to get a better approximation of the dish. I've watched a few videos that I will post below and their ingredients seem close to what I'd imagine would taste very curry-ish (in my definition).

This guy seems the closest to what I imagine would work best:

However, he does use water, but is the order the correct order? I could just sub out the water with yogurt to get it creamier? Or should I use the water and maybe just add yogurt near the end?

If you look up quinoa salad you will find some good recipes. I have been making it (1 cup quinoa) with 1/4 cup each of cilantro, dried cranberries, and chopped oranges, 2 tbs red wine vinegar, and 1 tbs olive oil. Chill and eat whenever.

Love this idea!

Another thing that my housemate has started doing is making Quinoa Tabouli.

Ingredients

• 2 cups water
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cucumber, diced
  • 2 bunches green onions, diced
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Directions

1. In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add quinoa and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature; fluff with a fork.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice, tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, carrots and parsley. Stir in cooled quinoa.
Edited by gellert

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite quinoa recipe is adapted from Veganomicon. An awesome cookbook, even for people like me who aren't vegan!

Quinoa Pilaf

3-5 cloves garlic (i like garlic a lot! feel free to use less)

olive oil

~1 Tbsp. cumin

1 tsp. coriander (if you have it. i usually don't)

3 tbsp tomato paste

1 c. uncooked quinoa

2 c. veggie broth

1 can black beans, with about half the liquid drained out of it

In a large saucepan with a lid, saute the garlic in olive oil (or whatever oil you like to use) for 1-2 minutes over medium low heat. Add cumin and coriander and tomato paste and stir to combine. Be careful because the tomato paste will splash when it hits the oil. Add the uncooked quinoa and stir to coat, then add the veggie broth and the beans and their liquid. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer until there is no water in the bottom of the pan, sometimes as long as 40 minutes, because of the extra liquid.

I make this all the time. I've used tomato sauce, prepared spagetti sauce, and even salsa instead of the tomato paste and it always turns out great. It also re-heats well so it's perfect to pack for a lunch the next day!

I like to make this totally non-vegan by covering it with grated cheese and topping it with a fried egg. :)

My other favorite thing to do with quinoa is to cook it plain and then dump a bunch of italian salad dressing and parmesan cheese on top. Not the most elegant dish, but it's fast and delicious!

• 3 months later...

Since it's the holiday season, I think it'd be good to share some holiday recipes. One of my faves:

Three-Layer Peppermint Bark

17 oz. white chocolate, which includes cocoa butter as ingredient (such as Callebaut), finely chopped

30 red-and-white-striped hard peppermint candies, coarsely crushed

7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (OK to use semi-sweet or milk chocolate for added sweetness)

6 Tbsp. heavy cream

¾ tsp. peppermint extract

Lay out a 9x12 sheet of aluminum on flat surface

Melt the white chocolate by placing into metal bowl, set over saucepan of lightly-simmered water. The bowl should not touch the water. Stir until melted and smooth. Pour 2/3 cup of the melted chocolate onto the aluminum and spread close to the edge. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the peppermints on top. Chill for 15 minutes.

While that chills, warm the bittersweet chocolate, cream, and peppermint extract over medium-low heat. Stir until melted and smooth. Cool for about 5 minutes (lukewarm). Remove white chocolate layer from the fridge, spread all of the bittersweet chocolate mixture on top. Chill until very firm ~ 25 minutes.

Heat the rest of the white chocolate again until it is melted and smooth. Pour over the firmed bittersweet chocolate layer. Top with the remaining peppermints. Refridgerate for 20 minutes.

Once cooled, cur the bark into desired sizes/shapes. Place into air-tight container and keep refridgerated. Layers of bark should be separated by wax paper. For best results, remove from fridge 10 minutes before serving so that the middle layer can soften a bit.

Approx. 36 pieces.

Another easy holiday pleaser: the dump cake.

I'd actually never heard of this until I was over at my boyfriend's parent's house a little earlier today, but I swear I've never tasted a more delicious and holiday appropriate dessert in my life. Additionally, it's super Southern (yes, we're speaking in terms of butter here) and easy (hence, the "dump").

Dump Cake

1 can of crushed pineapple

1 can blueberry pie filling

1 box yellow cake mix

1 1/4 sticks salted butter, sliced to the *entire* top (I'm told this is crucial.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit (325 degrees for glass baking dish).

Lightly grease a large 13 x 9 inch baking pan.

Drain the juice from the can of crushed pineapple and spread the entire contents over the bottom of the pan.

Dump that blueberry pie filling (don't drain), making sure it covers the layer of pineapple beneath it.

Ditto with that box of cake mix. That's right, don't be adding eggs or milk to make batter.

Cover the entire top with the slices of butter. Slice up another half stick if necessary.

Bake at 350 for an hour. Allow to set and cool a little before serving warm.

• 3 weeks later...

dimanche0859, I had used your recipe for peppermint bark over the holidays and it turned out well. Actually, I made over 400 truffles, 250 buckeyes, 250 turtles, 2 batches of the peppermint bark you listed, and then tons of cookies and I swear all my friends and family must have gained at least 5 lbs from all the treats I made. For the second batch I made, I played around with the recipe and added a little bit of green food coloring and a little bit of red food coloring to the white chocolate and the end results were great.

I literally have hundreds of recipes I make and really this is because I feel like everywhere I travel gives me different ideas, but for the time being I am still sort of in holiday mode so decided to include a fairly simple sweet.

Buckeyes

• 1/2 cup butter, melted (I typically use half margarine and half butter because it helps reduce costs)
  • 1 pound confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups peanut butter (Typically most people use creamy peanut butter but you can use crunchy and it is just as good)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon shortening
  • Combine the butter/margarine, confectioners' sugar, peanut butter and the vanilla together and mix well. Refrigerate until the mixture is firm. Once firm take the mixture and roll it into 1 inch balls, inserting a toothpick in each one for easy dipping. Place them on either wax or parchment paper and place them back in the refrigerator. I have done this not having enough toothpicks and as long as the peanut butter mixture isn't completely frozen it can be done.
  • While the mixture is the refrigerator set up a double boiler to melt the chocolate chips and shortening, stirring constantly. You can also do this in the microwave but be cautious and only microwave the mixture in 20 second intervals or so, so the chocolate doesn't burn. Take each peanut butter ball and dip it into the melted chocolate.
  • Be careful to leave a small uncovered area so balls resemble buckeyes. Place the buckeyes back on waxed paper and take out the toothpick. You can then use your finger to blend in the toothpick hole.
  • Refrigerate until chocolate is firm and enjoy.

This is one of my favourite winter recipes.

Spicy Root & Lentil Casserole

• 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves , crushed
  • 700g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 4 carrots , thickly sliced
  • 2 parsnips , thickly sliced
  • 2 tbsp curry paste or powder
  • 1 litre/1¾ pints vegetable stock
  • 100g red lentils
  • a small bunch of fresh coriander , roughly chopped
  • low-fat yogurt and naan bread, to serve

Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Tip in the potatoes, carrots and parsnips, turn up the heat and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are golden.

Stir in the curry paste or powder, pour in the stock and then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.

Stir in most of the coriander, season and heat for a minute or so.Top with yogurt and the rest of the coriander. Serve with naan bread.

Edited by Spriteling

Ranch potato salad

5 lbs red potatoes, cubed and boiled, leave skin on.

place potatoes in fridge for at least 2 hours to cool.

Mix:

1 C. Mayonnaise

1 C. sour cream

3/4 C. chopped green onions

1-1oz packet ranch dressing mix

mix and refrigerate 2 hours so mix settles and tastes blend.

at least 1 lb crispy bacon, crumbled. (more is better, bacon is just awesome).

Mix everything together before you serve. It's even better the next day if you refrigerate overnight.

Edited by SapperDaddy

Haha! I like the straightforward approach of SapperDaddy's recipe. I'm not a ramen fan, but here's my go-to cheap and easy meal:

I buy frozen lima beans for a dollar a pack at my grocery store- I always keep a few packs in the freezer for the days when I don't have time or energy to devote to cooking. On those days, I just boil water, cook the beans for about 15 minutes, season with a little butter and seasoned salt, and voila- a relatively high-protein, healthy, cheap, easy meal.

Something simple.

Roasted Zucchini boats

Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out some of the seeds, enough to leave a hollow for your toppings.

Brush with olive oil mixture- olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and ground mustard.

Top with chopped tomatoes, fresh parsley and diced onion. Try it with a green tomatillo sauce if you like things a little spicy.

Your choice of cheese- I used mozzarella.

Bake! About 20min at 350

Serve with Parmesan garnish

Tip: slice back of zucchini halves just enough to make a flat spot to make them sit flat in your pan.