I saw a post from someone who got an interview at Stanford. Anyone want to claim that and/or share any details? It's not like I expected to get in there or anything, but I have a major crush on Roland Greene and would love to know if I can go about beginning my intellectual grieving process given my "Unrequited Love". . .lol. . .nerd jokes :P

I saw a post from someone who got an interview at Stanford. Anyone want to claim that and/or share any details? It's not like I expected to get in there or anything, but I have a major crush on Roland Greene and would love to know if I can go about beginning my intellectual grieving process given my "Unrequited Love". . .lol. . .nerd jokes :P

I did receive an invitation (via email today) to interview. Wondering how many others out there have?

Did it have any information about number invited, whether admits would be determined from the interview pool, etc.? I'm really emotionally invested in this school, and if I can count myself rejected, I'd really like to start working through what that means. Good luck on the interview.

Did it have any information about number invited, whether admits would be determined from the interview pool, etc.? I'm really emotionally invested in this school, and if I can count myself rejected, I'd really like to start working through what that means. Good luck on the interview.

Thank you lyonessrampant. So far I have no information beyond the interview request. I wish I knew how many people they will be interviewing, but I don't. If I find out, I will post a reply here. Good luck!

Okay, so, I'm definitely a "rip the band-aid off fast" kind of person, so I emailed the graduate secretary whom I have corresponded with previously asking if the admitted cohort would be selected exclusively from the interviewed group so that I might make pragmatic guesses about my chances (given I haven't received an interview invite). She emailed me back and said this: "Currently all applications are under review. We plan to be making decisions by mid-February." This, of course, is not responsive to my question. I think she's probably not supposed to say? Anyway, I would still guess it isn't a good sign to not have been contacted yet. :( I was trying really hard not to get my hopes up and of course didn't expect to get in (competition is so fierce!), but good luck to all you who got interviews and know how lucky you are :) You should say hi to Roland Greene for me when you go tour the campus. That would be sweet.

Edited by lyonessrampant

Okay, so, I'm definitely a "rip the band-aid off fast" kind of person, so I emailed the graduate secretary whom I have corresponded with previously asking if the admitted cohort would be selected exclusively from the interviewed group so that I might make pragmatic guesses about my chances (given I haven't received an interview invite). She emailed me back and said this: "Currently all applications are under review. We plan to be making decisions by mid-February." This, of course, is not responsive to my question. I think she's probably not supposed to say? Anyway, I would still guess it isn't a good sign to not have been contacted yet. :( I was trying really hard not to get my hopes up and of course didn't expect to get in (competition is so fierce!), but good luck to all you who got interviews and know how lucky you are :) You should say hi to Roland Greene for me when you go tour the campus. That would be sweet.

Stanford does interviews? This is news to me. Anyway, I talked to one of my professors today (who is good friends with Roland) and he said when he was at MLA his "friends" said they were still reviewing applications and so I probably shouldn't worry about it until end of Feb/March...

I also applied to Stanford but didn't receive an interview e-mail. So to comfort myself I laid out 3 different scenarios:

1. Those with incredible applications weren't even contacted for an interview because they were already put on a list of acceptances.

2. Interviews or the application process goes out in waves and thus not everyone was contacted.

3. Stanford received a large pool of applicants with similar subfields; only those of that subfield were contacted to be interviewed to be narrowed down.

I'm sure other grad programs have done things similar to this in the past--anyone think of any more (positive) scenarios so we can hold on to (maybe false) hope a bit longer?

If it makes anyone feel better, I didn't even receive that earlier email about when they were planning on making decisions, etc... Reading about that email on this board and the Livejournal community put me in a state of absolute panic and for a while, I was rather convinced that I hadn't even submitted my application (which I had, according to the graduate secretary).

I also applied to Stanford but didn't receive an interview e-mail. So to comfort myself I laid out 3 different scenarios:

1. Those with incredible applications weren't even contacted for an interview because they were already put on a list of acceptances.

2. Interviews or the application process goes out in waves and thus not everyone was contacted.

3. Stanford received a large pool of applicants with similar subfields; only those of that subfield were contacted to be interviewed to be narrowed down.

I'm sure other grad programs have done things similar to this in the past--anyone think of any more (positive) scenarios so we can hold on to (maybe false) hope a bit longer?

Yikes, jprufrock..you're going to give me a heart attack! :( :(

If it makes anyone feel better, I didn't even receive that earlier email about when they were planning on making decisions, etc... Reading about that email on this board and the Livejournal community put me in a state of absolute panic and for a while, I was rather convinced that I hadn't even submitted my application (which I had, according to the graduate secretary).

I have not heard anything from Stanford since I submitted my application. Good to know I am not the only one.

I got an email at one point explaining that they were missing my writing sample, so if you haven't gotten anything yet I don't think it's a bad thing. I just posted a similar question on the other message board, but I suppose it's more appropriate on this one: Are interviews a normal thing? My understanding was that English programs just didn't do them, at all. Am I totally misinformed?

Thanks ajm! Are you interviewing too?

Yes. I should probably clarify after looking at the original email again and say that they wanted to schedule my interview during this period. It's entirely possible that these dates are not universal.

Yes. I should probably clarify after looking at the original email again and say that they wanted to schedule my interview during this period. It's entirely possible that these dates are not universal.

Yes, understood. The very best of luck to you!!

lenz, ajm, and others who are interviewing: just curious, but do you know with whom you will be interviewing?

Yes. I was told a day or two before my interview that I would be interviewing with two faculty members with similar interests (both mentioned in my statement of purpose).