Fall 2024 PhD Religion!

survivedyesterday

11 minutes ago, waltzier97 said:

I'm waiting to hear back from BC! Interviewed in January but still haven't heard anything but I know a few different people have heard *something*... I can't tell if the silence is preferable to a rejection tho!

Good luck! my feelings are mainly: rejection actually feels much nicer than interviews and uncertainties 

2 minutes ago, shoop980 said:

Good luck! my feelings are mainly: rejection actually feels much nicer than interviews and uncertainties 

Yeahhhh, I might prefer clarity at this point, but here we are. Good luck to you too!

8 minutes ago, waltzier97 said:

Sorry to hear—how are you doing?

A little sad, but an interview is farther than I've gotten in years prior so to get two interviews from top schools is a positive thing. My mood will change based on how they respond to me asking for information about what I could do to improve my chances if I apply next year

13 minutes ago, Hesed2023 said:

How did you hear the result? Via email? Checked on the portal?

May I also ask what subfield at Yale?

Am rel and they sent an email. I don't think it's on the portal yet 

Just had my interview with Columbia. That was HARD. I've had challenging interviews with Brown and Northwestern so far but this blew those out of the water. Questions were very friendly and detail-oriented—I appreciated how closely they read my materials—but I was sweating the whole time! They kept saying my project was really interesting, which was nice, but I'm not sure if that's a good sign or if they kind of just say that to everyone.

24 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

Did you inquire or prompt them in any way...? I thought Yale didn't release until the 15th

Nah, my assumption is they notifying people who had interviews. I'm probably one of the few who got an interview and got denied which is probably why I got mine early.

Just got a rejection from Northwestern a few weeks after interview. No email from POIs or anything, and the letter was like one sentence. Really weird to me, and sort of stings, as I’d had really extensive talks with faculty of interest (who, in turn, showed a lot of interest in me) before applying. I’ve fortunately already been accepted to my other top choice, so I’m not super torn up, but just kind of weird there was no followup or anything beyond the stock rejection. 

58 minutes ago, nmaltec said:

Just got a rejection from Northwestern a few weeks after interview. No email from POIs or anything, and the letter was like one sentence. Really weird to me, and sort of stings, as I’d had really extensive talks with faculty of interest (who, in turn, showed a lot of interest in me) before applying. I’ve fortunately already been accepted to my other top choice, so I’m not super torn up, but just kind of weird there was no followup or anything beyond the stock rejection. 

Congratulations on the acceptance though! Where were you accepted?

7 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

Congratulations on the acceptance though! Where were you accepted?

Brown! They’re honestly my top choice given their stipend and how small the program is. As I do trans studies in religion, few places actually have robust resources in this, so at the end of the day it kind of just comes down to the stipends, methodologies of the professors, and niceness/care of faculty. And those all seem to be present at Brown! 🙂

9 minutes ago, nmaltec said:

Brown! They’re honestly my top choice given their stipend and how small the program is. As I do trans studies in religion, few places actually have robust resources in this, so at the end of the day it kind of just comes down to the stipends, methodologies of the professors, and niceness/care of faculty. And those all seem to be present at Brown! 🙂

That's amazing! Congrats again!

On 2/9/2024 at 11:54 AM, waltzier97 said:

I'm waiting to hear back from BC! Interviewed in January but still haven't heard anything but I know a few different people have heard *something*... I can't tell if the silence is preferable to a rejection tho!

Hello! Is it the Theology Department? They already posted my acceptance decision on Jan 23 (I apply for Systematic Theology). I'm still keeping it but most likely will drop it to go for PTS/BU. There is still a chance you are on a waitlist though.

5 hours ago, Fnu95 said:

Hello! Is it the Theology Department? They already posted my acceptance decision on Jan 23 (I apply for Systematic Theology). I'm still keeping it but most likely will drop it to go for PTS/BU. There is still a chance you are on a waitlist though.

Yes, in systematics as well—I’m hoping I’m quietly on the waitlist as I know of people already rejected and accepted.

Are you waiting for PTS/BU then?

Jeez, I had no idea they accepted so few students. I was trying to find that number on their website but couldn’t.

I had an interview on Friday. I’m not sure how many folks they interview or what the cut is like from there. 

26 minutes ago, nmaltec said:

Jeez, I had no idea they accepted so few students. I was trying to find that number on their website but couldn’t.

I had an interview on Friday. I’m not sure how many folks they interview or what the cut is like from there. 

I was surprised by that number too. At least, they accept 5 at Harvard or Yale! What is your field of study? I applied for Philosophy of Religion, and I saw they just accepted one student in that field of study last year. I also wonder if they place promising students not accepted into the PhD into the MPhil program (the first two years of the PhD). It seems they regularly place students into the MPhil program - judging by the graduate student profiles on their website. 

Those are wild numbers, wow. I didn’t know that about the MPhil also! And I applied for Religion Gender and Sexuality. I think this is the first year the area of study has existed—as I recall—so I don’t really have stats on it from previous years. 

9 minutes ago, nmaltec said:

Those are wild numbers, wow. I didn’t know that about the MPhil also! And I applied for Religion Gender and Sexuality. I think this is the first year the area of study has existed—as I recall—so I don’t really have stats on it from previous years. 

and they changed the Philosophy of Religion track to Philosophy and Critical Thought this year!