Fall 2024 PhD Religion!

survivedyesterday

106 views and no post! Well, here I go.

Right now, I am only considering applying to Columbia's Religion Department.

My research proposal involves philosophy of religion, Indic thought, and gender studies, and I found two folks there who are a fit.

I am coming from Harvard, where I just graduated with a master's degree.

This is my second round of apps. I applied last year and got in but decided not to attend the university that admitted me: a matter of fit.

Hope this inspires some people to post!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm applying to

1) Cambridge

2) Duke

3) Princeton Theological Seminary

4) Vanderbilt

5) Princeton University

6) Yale

7) Boston University

😎 Baylor

9) University of Virginia

10) Harvard

Hope I would get it at least one of these schools..

On 10/2/2023 at 7:37 PM, Hesed2023 said:

Hi, I'm applying to

1) Cambridge

2) Duke

3) Princeton Theological Seminary

4) Vanderbilt

5) Princeton University

6) Yale

7) Boston University

😎 Baylor

9) University of Virginia

10) Harvard

Hope I would get it at least one of these schools..

That's great!

I decided to apply to Columbia and Harvard - though I am dying to leave Cambridge once and for all lol. I've been here for far too long!

Hi all! I'm also at HDS right now, gearing up for religious studies Ph.D. program applications this cycle.

My research area—and I'm sure people can figure out who I am from this info lol—is transgender religiosity in the U.S.

I also just applied to law school (just want a range of options and I'm also interested in LGBTQ+ public interest law), but the religion Ph.D. programs to which I'm applying are: Brown, UC Riverside, Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern, Princeton, Yale.

Excited to hear more from y'all and good luck! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all. This is nerve wracking! 

Does anyone know if Emory 1) ever admits without interviews 2) What the relationship between interviews and Recruitment Week is? Is it that only those who were interviewed get invited to Recruitment Week?

Getting nervous because I feel like I should've gotten an interview request from Emory by now!

Has anyone received interview requests yet?! My impression was that they don't start until early each January.

On 1/2/2024 at 12:24 PM, Joey-Jawad said:

Hello all. This is nerve wracking! 

Does anyone know if Emory 1) ever admits without interviews 2) What the relationship between interviews and Recruitment Week is? Is it that only those who were interviewed get invited to Recruitment Week?

Getting nervous because I feel like I should've gotten an interview request from Emory by now!

All short-listed candidates have an interview of some sort, if I am not mistaken. Typically, the top four or so candidates from each subfield are invited to Emory's campus for in-person interviews (all expenses paid). These interviews are competitive and usually 50% of the in-person candidates are offered admission. I knew somebody once with a Zoom interview to Emory, but they were not offered admission as there were four in-person candidates in addition to this individual. This person seemed lower on the short list than the other candidates that were at Emory for the in-person interview weekend (i.e., they did not seem to be as strong of a candidate as the rest). 

Other schools, like Duke (GPR), PTS, and UChicago, invite you to campus only after you have been admitted into the PhD program (though some subfields at these schools may or may not offer video interviews). 

It is still quite early. I did see an Emory interview posted already, but if I remember correctly, I think the convener of each subfield is responsible for sending out these offers. That means that interview requests may not come out at the same time for all subfields at Emory. Hope that helps!

Edited by שמע אלוהים

4 hours ago, שמע אלוהים said:

All short-listed candidates have an interview of some sort, if I am not mistaken. Typically, the top four or so candidates from each subfield are invited to Emory's campus for in-person interviews (all expenses paid). These interviews are competitive and usually 50% of the in-person candidates are offered admission. I knew somebody once with a Zoom interview to Emory, but they were not offered admission as there were four in-person candidates in addition to this individual. This person seemed lower on the short list than the other candidates that were at Emory for the in-person interview weekend (i.e., they did not seem to be as strong of a candidate as the rest). 

Other schools, like Duke (GPR), PTS, and UChicago, invite you to campus only after you have been admitted into the PhD program (though some subfields at these schools may or may not offer video interviews). 

It is still quite early. I did see an Emory interview posted already, but if I remember correctly, I think the convener of each subfield is responsible for sending out these offers. That means that interview requests may not come out at the same time for all subfields at Emory. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for the detailed info!

19 hours ago, שמע אלוהים said:

I can more or less also vouch for what @ם but my interview was in 2017 so things could've changed by then. Four were invited to campus with another 1-2* that were interviewed but not invited (backups). All of the initial acceptances came from those invited but a number of them declined to enroll.

*Some subfields didn't identify backups and instead opted to run short, or have no incoming students, because they didn't like their slate of candidates.

2 hours ago, telltell said:

I applied to Duke Div and Duke University, Emory, PTS, and UT for Hebrew Bible but so far only have had an interview with PTS!

I also applied to PTS but haven't got any interview invitation. Congratulations!..:)

46 minutes ago, kickin3v3 said:

Applied to Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Emory, UNC Chapel Hill.

Just got an interview at Princeton for the Religion in the Americas subfield!

Haven't heard from Emory yet. Has anyone in the other subfields gotten an invitation besides Hebrew Bible?

Congratulations! I also applied to Princeton for Philosophy and Religion subfield.. 

When did you receive the invitation for interview?

Edited by Hesed2023

10 minutes ago, Hesed2023 said:

Congratulations! I also applied to Princeton for Philosophy and Religion subfield.. 

When did you receive the invitation for interview?

Earlier today! I have heard the Religion in the Americas subfield is quite fast, so likely not representative of everyone! 

1 minute ago, kickin3v3 said:

Earlier today! I have heard the Religion in the Americas subfield is quite fast, so likely not representative of everyone! 

When is the actual interview date? Hope I can receive an interview invitation soon too lol..

8 hours ago, kickin3v3 said:

Applied to Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Emory, UNC Chapel Hill.

Just got an interview at Princeton for the Religion in the Americas subfield!

Haven't heard from Emory yet. Has anyone in the other subfields gotten an invitation besides Hebrew Bible?

Have you received an interview invitation from UNC as well?

I had a brief interview (Hebrew Reading session) Last week and waiting for the result.