MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

On 1/29/2024 at 11:20 AM, Gamja said:

Hello all, I am applying to 8 schools in the US and Canada in painting/fine art:

- Yale

- hunter

- SVA 

- saic

- pratt

- vcu 

- UofT (Canada) 

- OCAD (Canada)

I had my SVA zoom interview yesterday, and wanted to share the experience with you.

It was super casual, and it went on for 30minutes (it was supposed to be 20) with one professor. He was very kind and briefly explained the program, and asked me to explain my process and what I have been working on as he was looking through my portfolio. I talked about what is integral to my studio practice, my plans for the next work, and what I hope to learn at SVA. Then he asked me about my professional experience and that’s when I explained why I left my job to apply to grad school this year. Because the duration of the interview was pretty short, I tried to keep my answers as concise as possible. He seemed very fond of my work, and kept on mentioning how I am a great candidate and that I should ask for more financial support as soon as I receive my acceptance letter. He was also very curious about other programs that I applied to, and told me that he teaches at both SVA and Yale, which kind of got my hopes up for Yale LOL *sigh* 

Just received interview from Yale painting/drawing! So..anxious but excited! Wishing everyone good luck. The interviews go on from 19th to 22nd, from 9:30-4:00 from what I saw. Seems like they are interviewing about 40-50 students this year.

Has anyone in here had an interview with Yale before? I am curious about what they ask and what the chances are of getting in after the interviews. I am sorry to folks who did not get in; this whole thing is stressful because interviews do not guarantee acceptance, just interest. because we do not know how many others are being interviewed. Painting and printmaking are the toughest because there are more slots. do not feel bummed!

1 hour ago, Copperpot said:

Rejected Yale sculpture. 

Me too! 

18 minutes ago, Benz555 said:

Has anyone in here had an interview with Yale before? I am curious about what they ask and what the chances are of getting in after the interviews. I am sorry to folks who did not get in; this whole thing is stressful because interviews do not guarantee acceptance, just interest. because we do not know how many others are being interviewed. Painting and printmaking are the toughest because there are more slots. do not feel bummed!

I did last year. They ask the same questions the other schools do, what is this particular piece about, explain your work. You present your portfolio essentially. Nothing stood out as particularly different. The only odd question was "Do you work fast or slow?" from the shop technician.

Edited by Gkrenz

Alright, this is where I stand as of today:

Tyler sculpture — int 1/17  / accepted 1/19 (waiting to hear about fellowship)

Yale painting/print — rejected 2/6

Yale sculpture — rejected 2/6

UCLA new genres 

Pratt

Rutgers

Bard film/video

Bard painting/print

Bard sculpture

MECAD int 2/9

I currently take ceramics classes at Tulane and they are in the process of going through applicants right now. Keep an eye on your emails for interviews. They said they only have one spot in the ceramics department so I am sure those interviews are going to be crucial

3 hours ago, mfaapplicant said:

I applied to both departments two years ago. I don't think ITP interviews anyone. They sent me my offer in early March and I did not hear anything from them until then.

DT interviews some of its applicants but not all (And if you are not invited for an interview, you can still get in) I personally did not get an interview. My observation is that they only invite those whom they are considering for high scholarship funding (75%+?) I am not at all sure if this is accurate & if this is still the case this year so don't quote me on this. They sent out decisions pretty late. I don't remember the exact date but it was the last decision I received that year and it was definitely after spring break.

Hope this helps.

Ohh ok thanks! I feel a bit less anxious now :,)

Yale sculpture rejected but congrats to all who got invited for the interview at Yale!

is there anyone who knows anything about UCLA and VCU? I’m clueless about these two schools selection process… do they even invite applicants for the interview?

I also have not heard a single word from VCU and would love to hear what's up

8 minutes ago, orangepeel2524 said:

Yale sculpture rejected but congrats to all who got invited for the interview at Yale!

is there anyone who knows anything about UCLA and VCU? I’m clueless about these two schools selection process… do they even invite applicants for the interview?

Congrats to everyone interviewing!

1 hour ago, paintgal said:

those rejected from yale painting-- did anyone else get the 'try again in a few years' note?

I didn't and I interviewed last year, I did mention in my application I'm pretty set on going this year, been out of school for awhile and I'm 29 so I wouldn't expect to especially since I got rejected at my initial second time applying. I'd say if you're younger, recently out of school or still in school but they still are interested in you it maybe could've been a reason why they would say something like that and to take it as a good sign! 

Edited by lysol
*interview changed to application

15 minutes ago, btwnthetides said:

Accepted to Tyler yesterday, accepted to UC Davis today!

Any sense on if they're still looking at people or if I should assume rejection from Davis at this point?

11 minutes ago, btwnthetides said:

I think they've picked their acceptances but probably have a game plan for their waitlists! It's not over till it's over

Alrighty, thanks for the response. Hopefully this will make the eventual rejection email sting less 😅

Hi guys! I'm wondering if anybody applied to the MFA program at Ohio State and if they have been contacted (I haven't heard from them at all). I did an interview with UC Riverside last Friday (February 2nd) and I think it went OK.

Hi everyone! I've been lurking and finally decided to post.

I'm a first year applicant, graduated from my BFA last May. I am applying to 10 programs in Painting/ Studio Arts.

So far I've had interviews with Tyler, RISD, and UT Austin. Heard back and scheduled interviews with BU and SAIC, and haven't heard anything from VCU, Hunter, Cranbrook, CCA, and Rutgers. 

Thus far, my best interview has been with RISD (my top choice), we had a really good conversation and hit it off even entering casual conversation at times. My worst interview was UT, I feel like they didn't really understand me and the questions were going in circles. 

I've seen people start getting acceptances from Tyler, has anyone heard from Tyler painting? 

Best luck to everyone! And congratulations to those getting Yale interviews! 

1 hour ago, lysol said:

I didn't and I interviewed last year, I did mention in my application I'm pretty set on going this year, been out of school for awhile and I'm 29 so I wouldn't expect to especially since I got rejected at my initial second time applying. I'd say if you're younger, recently out of school or still in school but they still are interested in you it maybe could've been a reason why they would say something like that and to take it as a good sign! 

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm in my mid twenties and had applied a few times already so it was an odd note to receive. Wondering if anyone here has gotten that letter before and later had success? 

10 minutes ago, Goody2choos said:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking and finally decided to post.

I'm a first year applicant, graduated from my BFA last May. I am applying to 10 programs in Painting/ Studio Arts.

So far I've had interviews with Tyler, RISD, and UT Austin. Heard back and scheduled interviews with BU and SAIC, and haven't heard anything from VCU, Hunter, Cranbrook, CCA, and Rutgers. 

Thus far, my best interview has been with RISD (my top choice), we had a really good conversation and hit it off even entering casual conversation at times. My worst interview was UT, I feel like they didn't really understand me and the questions were going in circles. 

I've seen people start getting acceptances from Tyler, has anyone heard from Tyler painting? 

Best luck to everyone! And congratulations to those getting Yale interviews! 

I've got my RISD interview Tuesday the 13th, I'm excited, they're my top pick too. What program are you in?

I've had interviews with Alred, UT Austin. I have Northwestern, SAIC, and RISD coming up. Excited for all three.

Sad to hear that about UT Austin, that was my best of the two I've had so far, it was actually fun, something I never thought I'd say about an interview. 

VCU and Rutgers I haven't heard from but neither has anyone else, so don't worry. 

Cranbrook takes forever to reply so don't stress about them too much either.