MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

3 hours ago, paintgal said:

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm in my mid twenties and had applied a few times already so it was an odd note to receive. Wondering if anyone here has gotten that letter before and later had success? 

I believe I received something like that when I first applied in 2021. I got invited to interview this year so not a success yet but definitely a step closer.

Whoever got invited to interview with CMU, did you hear back with a confirmed date and time of interview?

It's been a week since I replied with my available times, and I haven't heard back since. Getting a bit worried.🫥

got rejected from Yale Painting-- I'm currently at the Stadelschule doing a semester and I had really high hopes I'd be able to get it but, so is life.

Does anyone know off hand when the Columbia painting interviews went out last year/ have historically gone out? I'm waiting on them and Bard.

10 hours ago, orangepeel2524 said:

Yale sculpture rejected but congrats to all who got invited for the interview at Yale!

is there anyone who knows anything about UCLA and VCU? I’m clueless about these two schools selection process… do they even invite applicants for the interview?

Quick question on why you applied to Yale and was it your first choice? Just want to pick folks brains on why they decided now to get their mfs and why certain programs 

2 hours ago, Benz555 said:

Quick question on why you applied to Yale and was it your first choice? Just want to pick folks brains on why they decided now to get their mfs and why certain programs 

It’s at the Top there for sure, for me I wanted to refine more of what I already have as a foundation, and Yale is known for thinking outside of the box. It’s good to get a handle of a certain craft or two and then letting them know how they can be of help and how you can bring life to the program. Have a plan that brings promise to further productivity in research is something I would keep in mind. Also I’m at a point where I’ve done enough fellowships , shows in multiple types of spaces, and fairs that I’m ready to go back in a cave. And read my books. I will be reading some more books before I start grad hopefully this fall. Hope that answers the question. 

4 hours ago, mfadoom said:

got rejected from Yale Painting-- I'm currently at the Stadelschule doing a semester and I had really high hopes I'd be able to get it but, so is life.

Does anyone know off hand when the Columbia painting interviews went out last year/ have historically gone out? I'm waiting on them and Bard.

I'm also waiting on Columbia and Bard (painting). Not sure I feel like it was around this time, I think Bard might have been slightly later... anyone else know?

1 hour ago, looooneytoonie said:

I'm also waiting on Columbia and Bard (painting). Not sure I feel like it was around this time, I think Bard might have been slightly later... anyone else know?

I'm also waiting on these two! (But sculpture for both.) Looking at last year's forum, it seems like it wasn't until later in February that people heard anything back from Bard. I feel like that makes sense for Columbia as well, since their application due date was pretty late. I feel like I started the anxious waiting process way too early when it comes to these two schools.......

15 hours ago, CactusWren22 said:

Hi guys! I'm wondering if anybody applied to the MFA program at Ohio State and if they have been contacted (I haven't heard from them at all). I did an interview with UC Riverside last Friday (February 2nd) and I think it went OK.

I interviewed at UC Riverside on Friday as well. The interview was pretty thorough so just a reminder for everyone to practice your interviewing skills and be ready to explain your work/interests/references! 

Edited by leavesontree

9 hours ago, jay4444 said:

I got an interview w/ Yale for the 2 year graphic design program. Excited but sort of dreading it because I'm godawful at interviewing. 

aayy congrats! I got rejected from the 2 year yale gd, but am super interested in looking at your portfolio if you wouldn't mind sharing? i assume i can send my email over DM on here? idk, but if you're down to share i'd really love to see what you submitted to get in interview. Thanks!

1 hour ago, hihihi123 said:

rejected from yale sculpture...but interviewed with ut austin sculpture....got an interview with saic sculpture..still waiting to hear from 5 more 

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat. I have interviewed with SAIC before if you have any questions. How'd you find the UT Austin one? I really liked them, it was a fun interview. 

Has anyone heard back from UIUC? I think I might be the only one here that applied there.

Side note: A few people have interviewed at places I applied to and I am so happy for you all! But I'm just wondering why certain schools select finalists and go through the interview process with them...without sending out the rejection letters, why make rejected people wait lol (Talking about UCR, UT, and Stanford) 

37 minutes ago, Gkrenz said:

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat. I have interviewed with SAIC before if you have any questions. How'd you find the UT Austin one? I really liked them, it was a fun interview. 

I really liked ut austin people i can see myself working with margo...it threw me off a little how it was more of a convo vs just like questions i left it feeling good but also worried i didn't accurately articulate myself....but we shall see. i def got the vibe they had their mind made up about who they liked not sure why but it was the feeling i got. if i get an offer from them ill probs go......did you go to saic in person/ know anything about funding there 

19 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Has anyone heard back from UIUC? I think I might be the only one here that applied there.

Side note: A few people have interviewed at places I applied to and I am so happy for you all! But I'm just wondering why certain schools select finalists and go through the interview process with them...without sending out the rejection letters, why make rejected people wait lol (Talking about UCR, UT, and Stanford) 

to make sure their list is locked and loaded before they prematurely reject anyone I think? It's definitely not an applicant-centric approach. I am in the same boat as you with Stanford though I have to say I reached out to them a while back about a problem I had with my application and they never responded. Same thing with SAIC and they responded within a day. 

5 minutes ago, hihihi123 said:

I really liked ut austin people i can see myself working with margo...it threw me off a little how it was more of a convo vs just like questions i left it feeling good but also worried i didn't accurately articulate myself....but we shall see. i def got the vibe they had their mind made up about who they liked not sure why but it was the feeling i got. if i get an offer from them ill probs go......did you go to saic in person/ know anything about funding there 

Yeah if I get an offer from them I feel the same way, Jeff did most of the talking and I really really liked his vibe. They said 4 questions and I didn't even realize I was two questions in at one point, 2 just felt conversational haha. 

I didn't go in person to SAIC, I spent my travel budget on my Northwestern Interview (who graciously offered to pay for my hotel which I thought was pretty cool)

I can tell you they have merit-based scholarships at 50-100% funding, so you can get a full ride. No separate application is needed, they decide during application. I know a ceramicist who was fully funded at SAIC. 

2 minutes ago, murmur said:

to make sure their list is locked and loaded before they prematurely reject anyone I think? It's definitely not an applicant-centric approach. I am in the same boat as you with Stanford though I have to say I reached out to them a while back about a problem I had with my application and they never responded. Same thing with SAIC and they responded within a day. 

Out of all the schools I've applied to, SAIC has been by far the friendliest. They even edited my proposal, they offered to look over my first draft and give notes... notes on an application FOR THEIR PROGRAM. Every conversation has been chill and kind. 

Edited by Gkrenz

Been lurking. I am a painter who also does printmaking. I received my first offer for the MFA program at the Glasgow School for Art following my interview yesterday. I am a senior undergrad from the US, so this would be quite a change. I am very interested and know GSA has a great reputation from what I have read what I can, but I would appreciate any further insight as I understand there have been some challenges in recent years. The offer indicates that I need to decide within two weeks, which poses problems as I would like to hear back from the other programs that I applied to (especially the ones in NYC). Can I request to push that back? 

Aside from GSA, I received an interview from SVA and was not invited to interview at Yale. Waiting on the rest. 

Not sure if this is helpful but thought I'd share in case :) (all for painting)

MassArt- interview upcoming

SAIC- interview upcoming 

Yale- rejected

Cranbrook- will be a while since their applications close later

RISD- ? I have heard nothing so I'm assuming that's a pretty bad sign

Not sure if I'll attend stuff in person or not but as a side note... what does one wear to an interview like this lol? 

Hi, wanted to ask about writing thank you notes following interviews. (Just interviewed with RISD sculpture.) Are people looking up the emails of the faculty members who interviewed them and writing a thank you email to that group?