MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

19 hours ago, Gaara said:

There's no excuse for schools not to reach out to applicants personally, especially considering the effort and passion applicants pour into their submissions. It's disheartening to see how impersonal and inhumane the MFA application process can be. Applicants deserve more than just a blunt rejection letter, a generic response written by ChatGPT, or never hearing back.

Receiving a short, blunt message like the one from Rutgers can be quite jarring. While it may be better than being left hanging indefinitely, it still lacks the genuine feedback and constructive criticism that applicants need to improve and grow. It's frustrating, especially considering the significant financial investment applicants make in the application process. People deserve acknowledgment of their efforts and thoughtful feedback that helps them become better applicants in the future.

It's moments like these that highlight the flaws in the system and emphasize the need for reform. This isn't just a Rutgers problem, I think all schools need to take a look at themselves and change.

Is there any school that does give actual feedback or even bullet points of key areas to improve? If there are I might apply to them next cycle solely for that purpose lol

Hello everyone- posting my stats here because I'm starting to get impatient and want to hear back from the rest of my schools and it's helpful to see where others are at! 

UChicago; interviewed end of Jan, still waiting to hear back. Very, very nice and smart people, love the vibe. They didn't ask super specific questions and there was a nice flow. 

Yale; (Painting & printmaking) rejection on 2/6.

Columbia; (Painting) still waiting.

Bard; (Painting) still waiting. 

UCLA; (Painting) still waiting. Though I heard through a friend involved with someone who works in the program they've reviewed the applications. Not sure if that means I'll just be rejected in April, hopefully not... 

Wishing everyone the best of luck out here and thankful for everyone's insights on this crazy process! 

Got an interview for Cranbrook painting!

And just got out of the VCU interview (Painting) and I unfortunately feel like I bombed. I got too in my head and made myself nervous, and not to say I didn't drop the ball but their interview format didn't make it any better. To be fair they did warn me that they would be making long pauses to transcribe my answers but having long awkward silences after each question does not help gain your confidence, to say the least. I think what made it worse was that they didn't respond or comment on any of my answers whereas other interviews have felt like conversation where they would naturally contribute feedback once or twice, letting you grow more comfortable after a question or two. 

The transcribing felt unnecessary because they were recording the interview as well! But oh well, we cannot be at the top of our game in each interview we had and unfortunately, today was my day to falter. 

3 minutes ago, Goody2choos said:

And just got out of the VCU interview (Painting) and I unfortunately feel like I bombed. I got too in my head and made myself nervous, and not to say I didn't drop the ball but their interview format didn't make it any better. To be fair they did warn me that they would be making long pauses to transcribe my answers but having long awkward silences after each question does not help gain your confidence, to say the least. I think what made it worse was that they didn't respond or comment on any of my answers whereas other interviews have felt like conversation where they would naturally contribute feedback once or twice, letting you grow more comfortable after a question or two. 

The transcribing felt unnecessary because they were recording the interview as well! But oh well, we cannot be at the top of our game in each interview we had and unfortunately, today was my day to falter. 

That sounds like an utterly bizarre interview experience. I bet everyone else also felt awkward and like they didn’t do as well in comparison to other interviews. Holding out hope for you!

22 minutes ago, paintgal said:

hi friends, hope everyone is doing well. I just received an interview from Columbia (painting). If anyone has any feedback/ thoughts on the school and/ or the interview process, I'd love to hear it! sending lots of love to all.

Still waiting on the sculpture and got a photo interview with them.

30 minutes ago, paintgal said:

hi friends, hope everyone is doing well. I just received an interview from Columbia (painting). If anyone has any feedback/ thoughts on the school and/ or the interview process, I'd love to hear it! sending lots of love to all.

phone call or email?

27 minutes ago, Goody2choos said:

Got an interview for Cranbrook painting!

Still waiting on sculpture from VCU & is that your first choice? VCU? IK they give full rides

24 minutes ago, Copperpot said:

That sounds like an utterly bizarre interview experience. I bet everyone else also felt awkward and like they didn’t do as well in comparison to other interviews. Holding out hope for you!

Thank you for saying this! I didn't know if that was necessarily strange or if I was making a big deal out of it. ❤️

2 minutes ago, Benz555 said:

Still waiting on sculpture from VCU & is that your first choice? VCU? IK they give full rides

It's my 2nd or 3rd choice but, I will say that my interest mostly relied on them being a combined program between Painting and Printmaking but, it doesn't sound like they have any core Printmaking people and acted weird about it. So, maybe the combined nature is just a namesake. 

2 hours ago, ceegee said:

Is there any school that does give actual feedback or even bullet points of key areas to improve? If there are I might apply to them next cycle solely for that purpose lol

Lol not that I know of. I've seen so many applications cost over $100, that money adds up when you are applying to several schools to increase your odds of being accepted. For the cost of apps, written feedback isn't a big ask. People would appreciate even just 3 thoughtful bullet points, at the very least it confirms that my application and art were actually looked at. 

On 2/12/2024 at 1:16 PM, Anxious Dreamer said:

Anyone heard from SAIC, UT Austin photos? 

I applied to SAIC Visual Communications and also have not heard. Are you going to reach out? Should we assume that we're waited listed/rejected since interview day is Feb 24?

17 minutes ago, yosemite119 said:

I applied to SAIC Visual Communications and also have not heard. Are you going to reach out? Should we assume that we're waited listed/rejected since interview day is Feb 24?

saic been out notifications got into 3 department for interview the 24th/

1 hour ago, paintgal said:

email.

Also, just received an interview invitation from Hunter. would love to hear peoples experience with Hunter and the interview. Thanks!

Hi paintgal, I just received the Hunter interview invite too! From your handle it sounds like you applied in painting (I applied in photo). I interviewed with them in 2014; the faculty was very friendly and asked me about my work, influences, and goals for the program. All of the posts/reposts of interview questions in this forum will be of great aid.

Edited by RadicalDreamers

Has anyone heard from UCLA - sculpture, VCU - sculpture, Michigan State University, Uconn, and Syracuse - studio arts ?

I received an interview request from Rutgers , plan to attend in person. Has anyone been through the process with them before? Or have an idea of how many interview slots are given out ? Just any helpful information would be great. 

Edited by freshman2024

Just got a Cranbrook painting interview request, booked it for later this week! 

MassArt- interviewed yesterday

Yale-Rejected

SAIC- interview upcoming

Cranbrook- interview upcoming

RISD...? I have heard nothing from RISD but I know they have conducted some interviews already?.. I should probably assume I'm rejected hahaha, if anyone knows more about RISD painting that would be sweet to know

Best of luck to everyone during all your interviews!! ☺️

1 hour ago, yosemite119 said:

I guess we just wait... but I wouldn't get my hopes up since many folks here got their invitation weeks ago. It's close and we will see.

5 minutes ago, Anxious Dreamer said:

I guess we just wait... but I wouldn't get my hopes up since many folks here got their invitation weeks ago. It's close and we will see.

I reached out to the admissions office since they didn't have a portal we could check application status. I'll let you know if I hear back!