MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

14 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

Still nothing from UW Seattle and its killing meeeeeee. Has anybody else applied to the sculpture/3D4M program ? Are they just running late? Or should I assume rejection?

Same here!!

I applied to 3D4M, did not get ANY notice. And there are no updates in the portal... 

Does anyone know how the waitlist at RISD MFA works? I have a lot of doubts.

- Has anyone gotten accepted from the RISD waitlist? What are the odds?
- The letter mentions "parallel" waitlist, does that mean there is more than one waitlist?
- Do you still get a scholarship after coming off the waitlist?
- Is it a good practice to email the college asking where I stand on the waitlist and what my odds are?

Any help or information is much appreciated! Thank you. 

Edited by risaurus

I had my interview with Columbia Photo yesterday in person. I feel as if it went well. There were only two professors and one alumni in the room. They asked the basic questions, and then I had some really good questions for them. I figure the interview went well, given when they asked me one question, I answered two, which smoothed out the interview;

They were taking notes, and I had my notes and gave them book references. I feel like I got it, but the only thing that threw me off was that they were not engaged with neighboring communities; the program is very student-driven, which is like every grad program. Nevertheless, if you were in NYC, how aren't you connected to any communities if it is a hub of immigrants?  

For everyone, make sure you ask questions that will better you. These folks will profit from you, so consider what serves you and your practice. Research faculty, and think of what you can learn from them and how they can challenge you. 

Okay so I just had my interview with RISD, and I did not think it went well at all. They only asked me three questions: Why grad school Now? Why RISD? and What do you hope to gain/get out of this? And she was a super passive, limp audience. It was over zoom so I could see her and after each question she didn't really say anything except "hmmm" and move on, no facial expressions, no acknowledgment or comment on what I said. And then when it was my turn I asked her about how much access we get to the faculty and what the critique structure was like, what the studio spaces are like and if grad students get private studios, and also about what opportunities they have for connecting with the greater are community nationally (or even globally). And she really took exception to the last question. She said that she wasn't just going to "call up a gallery in LA and tell them they needed to show my work. And that gallery placement schools (whatever that is?) don't exist anymore and they're not good for the program and they tear students apart" It was super weird and I didn't feel like she wanted to be there at all. 

35 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

Okay so I just had my interview with RISD, and I did not think it went well at all. They only asked me three questions: Why grad school Now? Why RISD? and What do you hope to gain/get out of this? And she was a super passive, limp audience. It was over zoom so I could see her and after each question she didn't really say anything except "hmmm" and move on, no facial expressions, no acknowledgment or comment on what I said. And then when it was my turn I asked her about how much access we get to the faculty and what the critique structure was like, what the studio spaces are like and if grad students get private studios, and also about what opportunities they have for connecting with the greater are community nationally (or even globally). And she really took exception to the last question. She said that she wasn't just going to "call up a gallery in LA and tell them they needed to show my work. And that gallery placement schools (whatever that is?) don't exist anymore and they're not good for the program and they tear students apart" It was super weird and I didn't feel like she wanted to be there at all. 

Did you receive a waitlist email? 

I had an interview in painting and haven't heard anything since. I thought it went really well, they were excited about my work and they told me to fill out my financial aid forum as soon as possible. I filled it out and submitted before the deadline. I knows schools like Yale and Columbia say the financial aid decision is seperate from the acceptance decision but does RISD? I cannot afford to go to grad school unless I get at least partial funding. I feel like they saw my lack of financial resource and passed on my application...I've heard from other sources online there is a lack of socioeconomic diversity in the RISD mfa program.

I also had a similar question towards the end of my interview, asking what kind of opportunities they had for students and they didn't seem to take it well. That was the only thing I felt could've possibly went wrong in the interview. I'm so disappointed since I felt like I did well. 

16 minutes ago, looooneytoonie said:

Did you receive a waitlist email? 

I had an interview in painting and haven't heard anything since. I thought it went really well, they were excited about my work and they told me to fill out my financial aid forum as soon as possible. I filled it out and submitted before the deadline. I knows schools like Yale and Columbia say the financial aid decision is seperate from the acceptance decision but does RISD? I cannot afford to go to grad school unless I get at least partial funding. I feel like they saw my lack of financial resource and passed on my application...I've heard from other sources online there is a lack of socioeconomic diversity in the RISD mfa program.

I also had a similar question towards the end of my interview, asking what kind of opportunities they had for students and they didn't seem to take it well. That was the only thing I felt could've possibly went wrong in the interview. I'm so disappointed since I felt like I did well. 

Hi! I had my interview like an hour ago. So they haven't had a chance to respond yet. I interviewed for ceramics though, so I think the timeline is probably different. She said she would get back to me with a response next week or possibly the week after. She also asked me about the FAFSA and financial aid stuff. I think they're asking everyone because of the weirdness going on with the FAFSA right now, and all the delays.

Edited by bunnie99

13 hours ago, risaurus said:

Does anyone know how the waitlist at RISD MFA works? I have a lot of doubts.

- Has anyone gotten accepted from the RISD waitlist? What are the odds?
- The letter mentions "parallel" waitlist, does that mean there is more than one waitlist?
- Do you still get a scholarship after coming off the waitlist?
- Is it a good practice to email the college asking where I stand on the waitlist and what my odds are?

Any help or information is much appreciated! Thank you. 

When did you hear you were on the waitlist? I haven't heard anything 

I have

6 hours ago, Gamja said:

Has anyone heard back from Hunter (painting)?? Did anyone receive an interview invitation?

I got an interview invite last week with Hunter. They are doing in persons and zoom interviews in March. I found it a bit odd that the interviews were an entire month out while most of the other programs have already interviewed with and waiting to hear back from. 

I interviewed with RISD and never heard back so I'm assuming a rejection. I'm curious if the person who was talking about the waitlist up above (risaurus) applied for the painting program? 

Rutgers wants me for something completely different from an MFA lol.... received an email today titled "Invitation: Rutgers-Camden's Emerging Media Programs". A professor reached out personally and said they looked at my application and thought I would be a good fit for their Emerging Media (M.A. or M.P.S.) program. Anyone else receive something like this? 

I'm not interested at all, just thought it was interesting how they would try to get me for something else.

Edited by Gaara

13 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Rutgers wants me for something completely different from an MFA lol.... received an email today titled "Invitation: Rutgers-Camden's Emerging Media Programs". A professor reached out personally and said they looked at my application and thought I would be a good fit for their Emerging Media (M.A. or M.P.S.) program. Anyone else receive something like this? 

I'm not interested at all, just thought it was interesting how they would try to get me for something else.

I received the same stuff. From my perspective, all professional study programs are universities trying to get money from students who have already worked for a while and want a "master's degree" to promote their career path. I reviewed this program curriculum, which includes UI/UX and basic coding, I am sure we could learn most of them on YouTube for free. For anyone interested in this program, don't pay Rutgers for this. 

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

What a strange marketing technique lol. I remember you had a really good interview with one of the California schools. Have you heard anything more? 

27 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

What a strange marketing technique lol. I remember you had a really good interview with one of the California schools. Have you heard anything more? 

Right lol...no way they could actually expect me to go from a Visual Artist who wants an MFA...to wanting what is basically their version of a masters degree in computer science. Like @Reee3 said, anything CS related you can learn online, there's sooooo many resources to learn about coding for free....these colleges are just greedy and want people's money. 

Yeah I have a second interview in person with UCSB in March. They are covering all expenses. I'm just grateful to have a few fully funded programs interested in me, glad I most likely will not have to do this process again 

Edited by Gaara